"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

What a bummer of a day I've had. I bought a large gunsafe back in the spring, and it has been in my garage ever since, waiting to come into the house until I got the room renovated. I finally got the room ready, and managed to get 3 friends schedules to line up to all come help, and I rented a gunsafe dolly. We got the safe into the front bucket of the tractor, carried it to the house, got it inside the first room, up a small 3 inch step, and then began turning it to go into the next room. BAM the wheel shattered and broke off the axle. Luckily nobody was hurt from the 1200 safe laying back down. But there she sits. :( We managed to get the safe up on blocks and got the broken dolly out.

But now my friends have went home, I took the dolly back to the rental place and paid a fee for breaking their equipment. Now the safe is blocking my entry, and I'm no further than I was before, except missing some extra money.

I supervised and help load machinery in my previous career, when things go south they do in the worst possible way.

I guess a lot of my boredom comes from health problems leaving me no longer able to do a lot of things I love. In fact I was forced into early retirement due to health issues. I can no longer hike in the mountains, go trout fishing in a beautiful mountain stream, enjoy primitive camping, climb up in a tree stand, play a round of golf, ride a motorcycle and the list goes on. So my wish and prayer is that all my friends here on the porch never ever have to face the health issues I have and you are physically able to do the things you love in your retirement. I guess that is one thing that has brought BigBiscuit and I to become such good friends although we are victims of different things we have had to face a lot of the similar outcomes.

Exactly Randy. So many parallel circumstances. I'm unable to do most of what I really enjoyed all my life. That's it!!!!! I'm coming down there and we'll have to help each other out! :D

I spent 15 minutes at my grinding belts modifying a knife today. My back hurt so bad, I had to stop and will have to finish it another day (See the Churchill thread).
15 minutes! That's all I could take. I have days that are better, but today wasn't one of them. :(

Get 1" or bigger dowels. Cut them a little wider than the safe. Drop it down on 4 of 5 dowels and you have wheels. As one pops out slap it back under the safe and repeat the process. If you need to go right of left set the dowels in a fan shape and it will turn. Once you get it on dowels it is easy to move. I have used this method for many years. Once it's on the dowels one man can handle it. Cheapest safe dolly around. Hope this helps.

What a bummer of a day I've had. I bought a large gunsafe back in the spring, and it has been in my garage ever since, waiting to come into the house until I got the room renovated. I finally got the room ready, and managed to get 3 friends schedules to line up to all come help, and I rented a gunsafe dolly. We got the safe into the front bucket of the tractor, carried it to the house, got it inside the first room, up a small 3 inch step, and then began turning it to go into the next room. BAM the wheel shattered and broke off the axle. Luckily nobody was hurt from the 1200 safe laying back down. But there she sits. :( We managed to get the safe up on blocks and got the broken dolly out.

But now my friends have went home, I took the dolly back to the rental place and paid a fee for breaking their equipment. Now the safe is blocking my entry, and I'm no further than I was before, except missing some extra money.

Get 1" or bigger dowels. Cut them a little wider than the safe. Drop it down on 4 of 5 dowels and you have wheels. As one pops out slap it back under the safe and repeat the process. If you need to go right of left set the dowels in a fan shape and it will turn. Once you get it on dowels it is easy to move. I have used this method for many years. Once it's on the dowels one man can handle it. Cheapest safe dolly around. Hope this helps.
Clever. :thumbsup: Isn't that how they built the pyramids?

Haha! :):) :thumbsup::thumbsup: I can't say either way guys, it's an old trick that was handed off to me after breaking my back and my friends but for the life of me I can't remember who gave me this method.

You can also use galvanized steel pipe. If you angle them the right way, you can even turn corners. My uncle moves heavy machinery that way all the time. It takes a lot of patience, but with enough time, you can move a terribly heavy object as far as you want, all by yourself, at least until you run out of level floor.

Trout Hound is right and carpet makes it slower and heavier. If you have wood or tile floors lay cardboard to protect the floor.

I slipped up to the mountains for a bit of my favorite pastime today. I had a really good day. Awhile back, I posted a pic in this thread of a Royal Wulff dry fly that I had just finished tying. Well, you can't really see it, but that exact fly is in this fish's mouth in this pic.

IMG_1621.JPG

Not a huge fish, but about as big as they usually come for the stream I was in. A real beauty. He was released, unharmed, to be caught again another day.

I just recently got a new Japanese rod, called a Tenkara rod. It's a a real simple setup, without a reel. The fluorocarbon line literally ties directly to the rod tip, almost like a cane pole, but more flexible. The whole thing telescopes down to about 21" long. It's perfect for tiny streams like the ones I usually fish, and it will cast a fly into a coffee cup. Today was the first time I really got to put it through its paces, and I like it a lot.

A great day on the water, with a Case stockman in my pocket and a Mora in my day pack! Hope everyone else had a good Saturday!

I slipped up to the mountains for a bit of my favorite pastime today. I had a really good day. Awhile back, I posted a pic in this thread of a Royal Wulff dry fly that I had just finished tying. Well, you can't really see it, but that exact fly is in this fish's mouth in this pic.

View attachment 769983

Not a huge fish, but about as big as they usually come for the stream I was in. A real beauty. He was released, unharmed, to be caught again another day.

I just recently got a new Japanese rod, called a Tenkara rod. It's a a real simple setup, without a reel. The fluorocarbon line literally ties directly to the rod tip, almost like a cane pole, but more flexible. The whole thing telescopes down to about 21" long. It's perfect for tiny streams like the ones I usually fish, and it will cast a fly into a coffee cup. Today was the first time I really got to put it through its paces, and I like it a lot.

A great day on the water, with a Case stockman in my pocket and a Mora in my day pack! Hope everyone else had a good Saturday!
Nice Trout Trout(hound);)

I do not fish flies, but as I was reading I thought about an interview I heard this week with a proponent of Tenkara. His thesis was that this method, relying on simple flies and good technique instead of matching the hatch, keeps your line is in the water more, resulting in more fish. While not yet retired we are recent empty-nesters. I thus found this apparently simpler method of fly fishing intriguing as we begin to enjoy this newly found freedom.

Last edited:
Randy and Bob, it is clear from the thoughts and feelings you have shared with us that you are not in a good place right now. I can only hope that you will be able to reconcile yourselves to your current conditions and make the best of it. Life is indeed short. Best wishes!

. I can only hope that you will be able to reconcile yourselves to your current conditions and make the best of it. Life is indeed short. Best wishes!

Bugdoc I see you're fairly new and may not know Bob has cancer and was only given 6 months a couple of years ago. We thought we were going to lose him after surgery a while back. My problems are different but have caused me to spend 18 of the last 48 months in hospitals and nursing homes not to mention 27 surgeries and being hit with paddles on 3 different occasions to bring me back. So in my opinion Bob and I have reconciled to our current conditions just fine but thank you so much for your concern.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear of your troubles, Randy (and Bob).:(

I made a conscious resolution awhile back, after years of 60 hour work weeks and practically no life, to experience as much of what life has to offer as I could, while I'm young enough to enjoy it.;)

Randy I've sent you a PM, bud.:)

Trouthound, I love reading about your fishing adventures. I'm a keen deer hunter, myself, but I often see beautiful, pristine rainbow trout creeks way out in the wilderness, that make me think I should learn enough about fly fishing, to pack a lightweight rod and tackle along with me.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back