"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

It took awhile but my wife finally came around. Please, don't put the kitchen knives in the dishwasher, don't leave them soaking in a sink full of water and please, please, wash, dry and put away the Rosewood handled paring and Santoku knives that I got from Vince when you're done with them. The Rosewood on those two came from Tony Bose and the blades are 440C that Vince procured. They are my go to when I'm on kitchen duty.

Same requests here, Gary. Please don't put any wood in the dishwasher or leave soaking in the sink! Use it, then rinse and wipe. Easy right?:)

A magnificent obsession Randy.

I think I hit a turning point yesterday with my latest purchase. Being home this week, I was ready for the postman, but my wife beat me to it. She was expecting something called a 'Birch Box'. (No, she's not a woodworker, it's makeup.) Anyway, I reached from behind and pulled my box from the postman's hands. Beth sat next to me, both opening our packages. But, instead of getting the usual good natured flak, she was genuinely interested in the knife as I showed her its features. It didn't hurt that it was an achingly beautiful Case abalone Barlow. However, I'm not going to push my luck... Could have been a fluke.:cool::D

Last edited:
I have some knives coming I am doing a trade for and the tracking info it say's they're out for delivery. So now I am sitting here like a kid on Christmas eve waiting on Santa Claus only I'm waiting on the mail truck.

I know this subject comes up from time to time but isn't it amazing how grown men and women and in my case a senior can get so caught up in this or for that matter any hobby to a point reason goes completely out the window and pure emotion takes over. As I am waiting I am siting here, a 64 year old man playing with a #47 Viper like a 4 year old kid would be playing with a toy firetruck. I am opening and closing it, slicing paper, running the blade across a strop, wipe it down with mineral oil and repeat. I am telling myself that I am trying to get the knife as sharp as possible but I am really just playing with it. When I get my grubby old hands on some extra money I start looking on the exchange, auction site, knife dealer sites and so on to see what's available to spend it on.

Can any of you identify with this or have I went completely bonkers.
5153.gif
I don't think you have gone bonkers my friend . I could easily do the same but I try to push myself sometimes to keep a little busy . Right now I am staying busy picking up hickory nuts and making a cane , that I do not need yet , with a work horse harness hames brass ball for the handle . I would much rather be looking at Knives To Buy .

Harry

A magnificent possession Randy.

I think I hit a turning point yesterday with my latest purchase. Being home this week, I was ready for the postman, but my wife beat me to it. She was expecting something called a 'Birch Box'. (No, she's not a woodworker, it's makeup.) Anyway, I reached from behind and pulled my box from the postman's hands. Beth sat next to me, both opening or packages. But, instead of getting the usual good natured flak, she was genuinely interested in the knife as I showed her its features. It didn't hurt that it was an achingly beautiful Case abalone Barlow. However, I'm not going to push my luck... Could have been a fluke.:cool::D
I imagine that you posted a picture of it ????

Edited : I found it in the Newest Addition thread .

Harry

Last edited:
I don't think you have gone bonkers my friend . I could easily do the same but I try to push myself sometimes to keep a little busy . Right now I am staying busy picking up hickory nuts and making a cane , that I do not need yet , with a work horse harness hames brass ball for the handle . I would much rather be looking at Knives To Buy .
Harry

I try to stay busy too Harry, I have people tell me all the time how lucky I am to be retired. Truth is it's a bit boring. I miss going to work everyday and interacting with my co-workers. My wife still works so I spend my days finding ways to keep myself occupied like you making a cane you don't need. For me the TV was one of the first things to go with the exception of the evening news and football season I'm pretty well sick of the boob tube and no longer turn it on. One good thing about being retired when it's cold and nasty outside I can get the fireplace going, grab my kindle find a good book on it get a nice cup of coffee and stay inside. As a linesman I worked outside everyday regardless of the weather and some days were quite miserable.

I would love to be retired. However, I have about 6.5 years to go before I hit "full" retirement age. Plus I don't think I'll have the financial wherewithal to just completely stop working with no other source of income than social security. I hope that SS is still solvent when I get to that point.

I would love to be retired. However, I have about 6.5 years to go before I hit "full" retirement age. Plus I don't think I'll have the financial wherewithal to just completely stop working with no other source of income than social security. I hope that SS is still solvent when I get to that point.

SSI doesn't go far JC I was lucky in that my company had a good retirement plan that they would match what I put in up to a certain amount. Unfortunately I was never able to contribute the maximum but I do get a check (direct deposit) from them each month and it makes a difference however it still just barely enough to cover living expenses and there's not very much extra left over. It's expensive just to live these days so I'd tell all the young folks on here enjoy your life but save as much as you can because time has a way of sneaking up on you.

I try to stay busy too Harry, I have people tell me all the time how lucky I am to be retired. Truth is it's a bit boring. I miss going to work everyday and interacting with my co-workers. My wife still works so I spend my days finding ways to keep myself occupied like you making a cane you don't need. For me the TV was one of the first things to go with the exception of the evening news and football season I'm pretty well sick of the boob tube and no longer turn it on. One good thing about being retired when it's cold and nasty outside I can get the fireplace going, grab my kindle find a good book on it get a nice cup of coffee and stay inside. As a linesman I worked outside everyday regardless of the weather and some days were quite miserable.
My Dad was a Linesman also and after he had been retired for a couple of years I asked hime how he was handling it and he said " It sucks " . I on the other hand was offered an Early Out and I was burned out after putting in 10+ hours a day for over 30 years and supervising people and I was ready to retire . I found that working on my Ancestors was a good way to spend a lot of time .
Take care my friend .
Harry

at least you have a chance, SS is just a scam for us young folks who are putting in the funds now. we'll probably never see a dime of that money back

Last edited:
SSI doesn't go far JC I was lucky in that my company had a good retirement plan that they would match what I put in up to a certain amount. Unfortunately I was never able to contribute the maximum but I do get a check (direct deposit) from them each month and it makes a difference however it still just barely enough to cover living expenses and there's not very much extra left over. It's expensive just to live these days so I'd tell all the young folks on here enjoy your life but save as much as you can because time has a way of sneaking up on you.

thank you for the advice Randy! you are so right. Especially in places such as NYC. Terribly expensive and I just lost my union pension funds after paying into it for almost 3 years to make the vested point. All that knife money taken out of the paychecks Ill never see again :(

*edited for TMI*

Short version - we are saving what we can while trying to avoid debt and dealing with current mandatory expenses. I just hope it's enough, when combined with SS, to provide enough for us to maintain something close to our current standard of living, which is not not especially luxurious by any means.

My financial advisor ran some rough numbers for us. If my wife and I plan on retiring at 67, and plan on living until we are 90, and want to maintain a 75% standard of living that we have now, and are counting on not getting any social security payments, and counting for inflation, we should attempt to save 3.4 million dollars by the time we are 67. ugh, yeah right!

My financial advisor ran some rough numbers for us. If my wife and I plan on retiring at 67, and plan on living until we are 90, and want to maintain a 75% standard of living that we have now, and are counting on not getting any social security payments, and counting for inflation, we should attempt to save 3.4 million dollars by the time we are 67. ugh, yeah right!

right? i went into bank last summer to try to open a savings account, the person laughed. he said heres the fed rates and the layout by the amount/percentages. you need to have something substantial to even bother with a savings account. boy was he right, and it still applies now

How can it be boring. All the time to do what you want that was limited by work hours.

Here's how I find it boring most of the time Alan first I am disabled and I know I'm not the "normal" retired person because I have more limitation than most but most of the retired folks I know have very similar lifestyles as me.
Here is today so far and it is a typical day
. I woke up at 6 am drank 2 cups of coffee and had a bagel while I watched the local news then turned off the TV at 7:00. My grand daughter (that lives with us) left for school at 7:30 the wife left for work at 8:00. I cleaned up the house that occupied me for about an hour. I took a shower shaved and put on todays clothes 45 minutes. Got another cup of coffee read the news paper 30 minutes more gone. Got on BF messaged with my friend lostball, played a couple of games of Spider Solitaire. Went to the mailbox I had a NOS Schrade 34OT I had bought from the auction site for less than $10 (score). It still had a burr on all 3 blades so I knocked them of on an Arkansas smooth stone. Fixed a ham sandwich with some chips and a glass of milk for lunch. Got back on the BF and am posting this.
I don't have the money to do a lot of things I would like to do because I am retired. I will go for my daily walk in a bit wait for the granddaughter and wife to get home cook dinner, clean up the mess find something to occupy some time until I go to bed so I can get up tomorrow and repeat the cycle. To me this is boring and I have no stories to tell because I basically have spent the day alone with no one to interact with. For me retirement most days is boring not to mention the fact you are old when you retire and age has a way of preventing you from doing a lot of things and you are fully aware that you are in the count down phase of your life.

Back