Carrying a knife . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
I carry a knife at work, among co-workers whom many on the forum would consider 'liberal-leaning'. Except for one other guy who occasionally carries a knife (due to seeing me carrying and using one), not one other person there carries one. And not one person (including the two owners of the business) cares a whit when I pull out one of my knives, because there's always a reason why I'm doing it, and I've never made a big deal out of it. In the early years, if anyone asked me why I carried a knife, I merely pointed out what I was using it for (cutting straps, opening and breaking down boxes, etc.), and that it's more convenient than having to hunt down a pair of scissors. I even occasionally carry a large knife like the Spyderco Military or Police model, and nobody is afraid or even cares. It's common knowledge among my co-workers that I carry a knife, and that it's handy. Had I acted defensively or militant about it, things would have been quite different.

I've mentioned this before, but I've seen some knife people act all militant about their right to carry. Once in a gun shop, the young guy behind the counter was vigorously flipping a knife I had asked to see. He was flipping it so hard, at one point it almost flew out of his hand towards some customers browsing in the shop. They gave him a wary look. When I quietly mentioned that maybe he shouldn't flick it so hard, he angrily said (I'm paraphrasing, but this is the gist): "I have the legal right to do whatever the hell I want with a knife. If anybody has a problem with it, they can go ____ themselves."

Sadly, he isn't the only knife person I've seen like that. Being militant about the right to carry a knife will not win those who don't carry over to your side. In fact, quite the opposite. They'll think that you (and by extension, anybody else who carries a knife) is a nut job. It's the same as angrily shooting one's self in the foot in order to prove gun safety.

Rather than having a chip on one's shoulder or feeling superior about it, how about leading by quiet example? When others see that a pocketknife has useful purposes other than going all Freddie Krueger on them, some just may change their minds, if they were anti-pocketknife or neutral on the matter. Or maybe not. But at least they'll have seen a positive example, and that'll be in the backs of their minds, even if they never choose to carry a knife themselves.

Jim

Last edited:
I agree that the societal shift into viewing something as simple as a small pocket knife or multi-tool with a blade on it as inherently bad, is a foolish thing. However, it's quite possible to go about one's daily affairs and not need to have a cutting tool on them at all times. I functioned that way for 20 years, and could easily continue to do so.

Nicely put. In addition to what I have said about what some of our own have done to our image, I do agree that there has been a societal shift, but to viewing a pocket knife as an archaic or useless thing.

I have a Vic SAK on my desk at work, in addition to the Classic I always have on me. And that I have a blade, or a screwdriver, or tweezers handy?!?! It's like I'm a wizard or something. Or that my "desk SAK" has a thumbdrive and flashlight?!? Like I'm a wizard from the future.

People have forgotten how how useful these things are. That's where we can educate.

And you know what's funny....talk to people about your knife....they always want one too then. Always.

TBH, the vast majority of people do not carry a knife and it doesn't negatively impact their day-to-day life. We're the odd ones out here with how much importance and value we mentally attribute to the ownership and carrying of pocket knives.
This is quite true. However, if one has a knife in his pocket it will come in handy. And in some lines of work, it becomes very useful.
I grew up carrying a pocket knife. I think laws limiting or forbidding knife carrying are due to societal problems. Perhaps if crimes commited with weapons were more severely punished, limitations on knife carry would not be necessary, as most of us carry our knives solely as tools.

I'm a 74 year old man and have carried knives of some sort for probably 65 of those years. I guess I'm a little different as my knife is my tool. Others should have their tool. If a person needs a knife and doesn't have one and I don't know this person I keep my tool on my belt or in my pocket. I may assist someone I know in their need, or may not, depending on the need. Family I'll help but add that they should get their on knife real soon. I'll let them pull on their strings or chew the tape and probably think them lesser because of being unprepared. I'm not a social type but those that I hang around with are self reliant within reason and have their own tools.

I had an argument with a colleague a couple week ago because. He never has a knife, he never has a flashlight, he never has a lighter and he`s always S....-up all the time. Last shot I had to pass him my flashlight and was forced to wait for him in the dark for 20 minutes because he couldn't get out of there without light. Then his sparker went dead and I had to pass him my bic to light up his welding rig and a couple minutes later he yell that he need to cut something off. That was It, I left him in the dark and when dinner. The guy was completely mad at me when he managed to get out of that hole. So I took the opportunity to breef him on readiness the answers I received where absolutely out of this world. The best one was Mr. doesn't need a lighter because he doesn't smoke. That killed me. Still a couple days latter I saw him borrowing a lighter to a guy in the shop, nothing learned....

It seemed lile the start of a good thread. Everyone has choices period. No one is forcing people to do anything. You dont lile something than do something aboit it. Move the hell to somewhere else. There are people who die to be here. People sacrificing to make things better. Yes goverment like to control things now compare it to places that have real goverment control. I have better things to do like go clean and sharpen my tools.
The government and the people who are working hard to control our lives.

I'm a 74 year old man and have carried knives of some sort for probably 65 of those years. I guess I'm a little different as my knife is my tool. Others should have their tool. If a person needs a knife and doesn't have one and I don't know this person I keep my tool on my belt or in my pocket. I may assist someone I know in their need, or may not, depending on the need. Family I'll help but add that they should get their on knife real soon. I'll let them pull on their strings or chew the tape :) and probably think them lesser because of being unprepared. I'm not a social type but those that I hang around with are self reliant within reason and have their own tools.

This ^ pretty much sums it up for me too. I'm past being smug and righteous or even quietly derisive but your lack of preparedness does not make a problem for me. Having said that about a knife & flashlight I - not being much of an auto mechanic - though pretty self sufficient otherwise, have been happy to encounter people on the road willing to help and better prepared than I. :rolleyes: Triple A in the wallet, for road losers like me :D.

Ray

The government and the people who are working hard to control our lives.

Oh yeah. Them. :rolleyes:

So, instead of battling against them, demanding your rights, going out there and taking a stand for freedom, truth, justice, and the American Way.....you came here to kvetch about the whole thing to a bunch of like minded-individuals.

Want to make a neutral person feel a bit anxious about knives? Just go flip that big tacticool out like a character in a James Dean movie with a 'switchblade.'

Years ago I carried a knife with a clip point. When I'd pull it out people often said "Wow! That's a scary knife!" I started carrying a knife with a drop point and no one ever commented on the scariness of my knife again.

I rarely have any actual need for a pocket knife when away from home.

That's odd, I rarely need one at home. I've use my knife at work to open boxes, cut string, cut banding; in my car to effect emergency repairs; whilst camping to shave wood for fire starting, cut rope, and even cut food.

Yeah, them. No knives in schools. No knives on planes. No knives in hospitals. Ever have a cop flip out when he discovers your knife?

I have had knives in schools and hospitals. And what do I need a knife on a plane for?

And I have never acted in a way where a police officer would "discover" my knife.

And, again, if "them" is such a oppression to you....do something about it other than looking for a group hug in a safe space.

Makes one wonder what the great battles for freedom through the ages would have been like if internet forums would have been around.

"Those oppressors suck."
"They sure do."
"Real jerks. :mad:"
":thumbsup:"

No, the only time I got searched by a cop, he looked at my folder for a minute and then gave it back...no big deal.

Ever get pulled over for speeding. Have a firearm on you, one in the glove box, one in a backpack and a spare. Then they compliment them and talk guns for 30 mins. They let you off with a warning. Or is that just me.

Got full body searched because I putted my hand in my pockets during an altercation... It was minus 20 out there my hands were freezing that's all, and they took away my beloved cadet :rolleyes: even if they could not press any charges. That was in the 90`s in Montreal. So I`m pretty sure today I could have trouble with a butter knife.

Grandma wasn't looking at you funny because she was scared of your knife. Grandpa carried a Case stockman and only brought it out to get a job done, fought in the war, and they raised 6 kids and are happily married. Never needed to pull out a big knife. That's why she looked at you like that.

You make a good point. Flipping open a large folder will get a predictable reaction. At the other extreme, I've heard gasps when I took a penknife from my pocket and one woman was alarmed at the little military can opener on my keychain. That's when I have to wonder about some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back