1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Case Knife: EDC or Collector’s Knife?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Mitch Taldison, Jul 2, 2019.

1. 2Dead

2Dead Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2009
    That'll make a fine user knife!! A CV Mini Trapper was the first non SAK traditional knife I bought myself.

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    GEC may be the talk of the Town these days, but case still makes a great knife and while I can't speak for others I know I have yet to get a bad one.

I just carried this Texas jack in amber jigged and CV last week.
    [​IMG]

And this 6208 is one of my all time favorite folders.
    [​IMG]

I love case, enough that I feel no need to jump up to GEC.

Old Hunter, navaja, Dschal and 8 others like this.
  3. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I more or less abandoned the "modern" knife world a few months ago. I'm not downing them and I have plenty and they surely do have their place but for my EDC uses, Case has me very well covered. With the exception of just a very few other traditional knives I've been carrying a Case of one configuration or another for months and loving it.

Be conscious of cutting style if you go slip joint. If you're coming from a locking knife world you might find you've developed a reliance on the lock that won't be there with the slippie. It's not a huge issue but something to give active thought to when first carrying and using it. Especially if you're cranking up and down on the handle.

I prefer the no muss, no fuss of TruSharp and it holds up plenty fine for my needs.

One of the lock backs, like a Copperlock might be a good place to start. I bought a Mini Copperlock as my first foray into this world and it was a nice transition and a great knife. The Cheetah is also a great knife that I don't think gets enough attention.

Ripcord 82, JohnDF and Prester John like this.
  4. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Same here but I did order a GEC just to see what all the hype was about. I had a thought come to mind though. GEC has lifetime warranty but that seems kind of moot when they only make a certain run for so long. That might be a problem if you ever need a replacement. I haven't ran across a bad Case knife yet and all are pretty well put together from my experience and they sell them in just about every mom and pop store , ACE Hardware and Tractor Supply stores so you can just about go handle before you buy. However, Case is one brand that doesn't scare me to buy unseen. I was skeptical about jumping to a GEC because I wonder just how much better could they be then a Case when they are double the cost. I can't see it myself but not ever having one, I am a lousy judge. Sure, they use 1095 blade steel but from what I researched, Case's CV is very close to 1095.

JohnDF and Prester John like this.
  5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    It looks like you've decided on a 6318 medium stockman, which is an excellent choice. I use a bunch of my Case knives, and often prefer them over higher priced brands. On knives like the 6318, Case grinds the blades especially thin, so they cut with incredible efficiency, and keep on cutting well, even after the edge has begun to dull. Such thin grinds also mean very easy sharpening. It's a win/win as far as I'm concerned. Great choice!!!

J Buck, g123, mitch13 and 2 others like this.
  6. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I see nothing wrong with Case knives for users but with all the modern knives and experience with more premium brands of traditional knives I have been spoiled. My preference now just leads me away from Case the HRC they run their knives too is just too low for me now similar with SAK for me. I don't mean to say there is anything wrong with these but for me it is just taking a step back so I don't typically look to them for users myself and since I only look for users they have fallen to the side for me. I wish Case would come out with a premium line that offered a slightly better common steel with a more optimum HT as they do make many great patterns.

7. hamsco

hamsco Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    This Case knife (Rancher) has great F&F. Sharp from the factory. And that it was a gift from my mother-in-law, means it gets lots of pocket time. It is also a great size.

[​IMG]

8. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Case, if it was good enough for Dad, it's good enough for me. Oh and I am 72..;)

9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Out of interest, what do you actually use your pocket-knives for?

Their optimum line is the CASE/Bose Annual Collaboration knives, different pattern each year. I think you'll find the upgrade in blade steel you want there.

10. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Another Case line you may wish to look at is their Sodbuster. Really good work knife in my opinion.:thumbsup:

11. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I've never been a big believer in the collectible value of most Case knives. They make way too many for me to consider them rare, and frankly, they're not hard to find. Pre-WWII stuff in good condition is an exception, but that's true of pretty much any maker. Putting 50-100 different sets of scales on runs that measure in the 1000's is like making Beany Babies.

That being said, I do have, and use, some Case knives. This one's been in my pocket the last couple days, and it's one of my "normal" rotation.

[​IMG]

Old Hunter, chuck4570, Dschal and 2 others like this.
  12. d dub

d dub

Mar 17, 2009
    Not a day has passed in 20 years that I haven't had a Case in my pocket. The Stockman is a great knife, but I have become partial to the Swayback Jack, because the Wharncliffe blade works well for me.

chuck4570 and Eli Chaps like this.
  13. g123

g123

Oct 25, 2009
    I have 6 Case knives. I carry one everyday depending on how I am dressed. I only own knives I use including GEC. In my opinion they are not good enough to collect unless they are users. Two of my favorites are.

a) Wearing jeans - Single Blade Large Hunter
    b) Wearing slacks - Mini Copperlock

I prefer CV, but the Tru-Sharp is pretty good also.

What makes the Case a user is the grind. They are thin behind the edge. Therefore they cut.

Geoff

Dschal, JohnDF and Prester John like this.
  14. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I think you will find that GEC has a better quality Fit & Finish and is usually just a more robust knife all-around. That being said, Case knives are good quality and great users. I would say my Case knives cut better than my GEC knives straight out of the box.

Ripcord 82 and Cambertree like this.
  15. Marlingspike12

Marlingspike12

May 28, 2019
    They're great user knives. I carry a 6318 amber bone ss everyday and it gets alot of use. Their ss is easy to sharpen and cuts well.

JohnDF and Prester John like this.
  16. cortopar

cortopar Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2006
    All my Case knives have been carried and used - some very extensively. I know some collect just for the joy of looking and owning, but I won’t buy a knife I don’t intend to use. That includes new, vintage, production, custom, cheap and expensive.

chuck4570, g123, Prester John and 3 others like this.
  17. Mitch Taldison

Mitch Taldison

Jan 26, 2019
    Gang, based on some many replies, that the Case knives are great users and many people actually use them daily for all sorts of tasks, I bought a medium Stockman amber bone with CV steel and pen blade. It arrived today:

[​IMG]

REAL nice knife guys I really like it so far! Good fit and finish and mine appears to have 0 issues. It’s going to get LOTS of pocket time, been wanting a traditional American for some time. Been on a Buck 110 kick and carry one daily in a belt pouch, but frankly it’s a whole lot of knife for urban carry use which (sadly) is mostly what I do know since I’m tied down with my job. Wanted something I could just slip in the pocket and I think I found it. Thanks for the replies, all!!

18. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    I have no doubt you will be happy with this knife. I have a large Amber Bone Stockman, and it is a great user. Enjoy your purchase.

Marlingspike12 and Prester John like this.
  19. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Congrads. .That's a nice one. I think the Amber Bone is my favorite.

20. cortopar

cortopar Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2006
    I have the same knife. It’s a great user, and I like the thinner 2 spring design. Squared and pinched bolsters are the icing on the cake.

That knife should treat you well. Enjoy!