Case Knife: EDC or Collector’s Knife?

Wasn't my question, it was the OP's. I quoted because I was shocked at the question.
You're right. You know, when you really think about it, I bet there are way more Case pocket knife users then any other brand of knife because they are such an old manufacturer. I do realize that Case has gone through the normal generation changes as any other company but they are still with us. They along with Schrade have put knives in the pockets of just about every American who built our fine country, farmers, ranchers, hunters and fisherman alike. Sure, maybe more exotic blade steels have come along through the years but Case still gives us an American made working knife that I feel we should all be proud of and they make it possible for everybody who wants a good pocket knife to own. They have made many a young boy smile at Christmas time.
This has been a fun topic. Thank you OP for asking the question.

My favorite Case stockman is the 6318PU, which has a needle-sharp punch in place of the spey. I can’t remember the last time I nutted a calf. For that matter, it has been a long time since I had to make a hole to tighten a belt, but I still find more use for the punch.

I would not worry too much about the steel on Case knives. Either option is more than adequate.

I’ve got a bunch of Medium Stockman pocketknives, I carry a Case nearly everyday, five or six that get used regularly and at least that many more as “back-ups” in case I lose or break one of the regulars. My favorites to carry are the 1970’s to early 1980’s with very dark bone (and the yellow DELRIN). Here are a few of my 18 patterns (including a couple stag which I rarely carry). OH
Case-18-pattern-1975-2015.jpg

Out of interest, what do you actually use your pocket-knives for?

Their optimum line is the CASE/Bose Annual Collaboration knives, different pattern each year. I think you'll find the upgrade in blade steel you want there.
Nothing special really I work an office job so most day to day use is opening boxes and letters and breaking down boxes. I also use it to score cables occasionally if I don't have a better tool handy cut a zip tie and just other miscellaneous odd tasks that might come up. I just prefer a slightly more difficult to sharpen but longer lasting edge which a steel like CPM-154 or even 440C is good at if hardened to a higher hardness than the 56-57 I believe I recall Case does theirs to.

I might have a lacking bit of knowledge on the Case/Bose line you mention but what I have seen that I believe is that are ~10x the cost of a normal Case knife I would want something that is somewhere between that pricing and remain in the sub $200 range.

Case knives are excellent EDC, I have several I carry frequently, as does Kim. Bought a Case Tribal in CV last year and it ends up in my pocket a lot. Liked it so much that I bought my dad a SS version this year for Father's Day, and he loves it. The quality of the Bose collaborations seems to be a step above the "normal" Case. TrapperMike TrapperMike we have a Blades and BBQ thread going. Bring that Peanut over if you're interested. Are those Italian sausages in the upper rack? One of my favorite things to put on the grill.

Basically I like get to know all patterns of Case. First I purchase synthetic handle .Case has very good sortiment also colours. For instance yellow smooth stockman then other colour sodbuster and so on....All synthetics are EDC knives .When I have experience with pattern and
size and it is practicable and I like design I turn to natural material scales. I try to get same knife with bone,horn,wood or stag handle for collection ! So I have good sortiment for use and
collection. Case large sortiment is useful for using and collecting,

Case knives are excellent EDC, I have several I carry frequently, as does Kim. Bought a Case Tribal in CV last year and it ends up in my pocket a lot. Liked it so much that I bought my dad a SS version this year for Father's Day, and he loves it. The quality of the Bose collaborations seems to be a step above the "normal" Case. TrapperMike TrapperMike we have a Blades and BBQ thread going. Bring that Peanut over if you're interested. Are those Italian sausages in the upper rack? One of my favorite things to put on the grill.
They were sweet Italian sausage brats and boudin. I hadn't tried sweet Italian nrats before. Not to bad.

You made a great choice. Now go cut lots of fruit and veggies to get the patina going. When you see that little sliver of silver running down the edge you'll want another, and another.

Here's another of my CASE knives that I like a lot and like to carry a lot. Swayback Gent.
In addition to this and a Stockman or two I carry the Penknife pattern (Half Whittler) and quite frequently a Barehead Trapper, great knife for food outdoors (or in the restaurant if you get enraged by their blunt offering :D)

eIXye50.jpg

P PirateSeulb Have a look at Lionsteel's knives, they might be of interest to you.
I have some of CollectorKnives special orders/collaborations from the Italian makers and I have some special runs of Buck knives from SKBlades. I have picked up 1 older model Queen knife too I just would like to see some case patterns out there too.

Back