Cast your shadow

Will Power

Gold Member
Thought it would be interesting to have a thread about Shadow knives. These merit attention and discussion I feel, there are quite a lot of patterns in Shadow including Stockmans, Sleeveboards, Pens and they have always been popular as Gents' knives. Let's not forget Sodbuster either (but there are of course plenty of threads about them).

These are French, German, French, Italian and American. Acrylic, Dark Horn, Ram's Horn, Blonde Horn, Bocote.

Now cast your shadow :D

IMG_3926.jpg

Thanks, Will

Very nice, Will.
I'll add my Halfrich small Rounder.
P1010100%201.jpg

Thank you Gary! That's some impressive bone and jigging on the Halfrich, the large Bird's Eye and slim shield go together particularly well:cool:

Regards, Will

To clarify, a shadow pattern is one wherein the brass (or other metal) scales are eliminated, so the cover material plays double duty as structural support for the knife?

To clarify, a shadow pattern is one wherein the brass (or other metal) scales are eliminated, so the cover material plays double duty as structural support for the knife?

That would technically be a linerless knife like this one by Todd Davison. There's no steel liners so the spring and blade are kept in place by the G10 scales and pins alone. This also happens to be a shadow pattern however.

On a shadow pattern, basically there's no bolster, so the pivot pin is exposed, and are built just like other knives. These knives almost always have liners like can be seen on my Dowell Trapper. Black G10 scales with blue G10 pinstripes and stainless liners

That would technically be a linerless knife like this one by Todd Davison. There's no steel liners so the spring and blade are kept in place by the G10 scales and pins alone. This also happens to be a shadow pattern however.

On a shadow pattern, basically there's no bolster, so the pivot pin is exposed, and are built just like other knives. These knives almost always have liners like can be seen on my Dowell Trapper. Black G10 scales with blue G10 pinstripes and stainless liners

Thanks for the explanation. I've seen many of these, but I didn't know there was a name associated with the bolster-less look. They seem to occupy a niche similar to the tip-bolster knives, in that the bolster no longer plays a functional role to strengthen the blade pivot, and is reduced, or in this case, eliminated entirely.

Recent acquisition via trade from Clutchcarter, thank you Sir!!

efbfd835-d274-407b-a7b6-a32225024fe8_zpsd5ic1fud.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pardon a dense old man but I'm trying to get a handle on the Shadow pattern. Would this GEC #47 Hayin' Helper be a Shadow pattern knife.

1y2Gmk5.jpg

Here's one from Mr. Davison, probably see quite a bit of his work here. :)

63a21087d5463aef595826a76998cf68.jpg

Great combo of scales

I am probably going to have a Menefee shadow Zulu and Cramer shadow gunstock jack by the end of April.

I have Larock Lannys Clip and dogleg jack shadows, and an Oeser Zulu shadow with a micarta bolster.

Last edited:
John Lloyd custom shadow Dogleg Jack, my daily carry for the past six weeks or so.

l9YHTge.jpg

GcTOIZp.jpg

I love bolsters, but I love shadows, too! So light and sleek.

Back