Centered

sjFfAmY.jpg
I purchased a knife I like.
Only issue is the blade isn't centered perfectly.
Doesn't rub...
I really dig the knife, should I just use the thing and not obsess over this minor thing?

unwisefool

Gold Member
How much was it? Under a certain dollar amount I would not worry about it. You could always try to fix it yourself. If it was expensive, then return it for a refund, replacement or repair.

ShadyMethods

Platinum Member
I'd say it depends on you. The only thing centering really affects is your resale value. You wouldn't notice it in use if it doesn't rub. I have more than a few off-center knives that I keep as users. If it bugs you or if you think you might sell it later, then return or replace it. It is pretty far off and any good dealer should help out. Also, check if the pivot is loose.

AntDog

Gold Member
If it bugs you now, it’ll keep bugging you to the point of resentment. You’ll grow to hate it every time you pick it up, trust me.

At 188 bones, that thing would be going right back the second I checked it out.

Others mentioned the pivot. Sometimes a slight adjustment of the pivot screw can center, or off-center the blade. This is presuming it has a pivot screw.

What knife/brand is it?

As long as it didn't rub it wouldn't bother me. Especially if I had to pay for return shipping, and possibly pay for shipping of the replacement, and possibly pay a restocking fee.

Since I don't know the maker I don't know what their return policy is. It's possible some makers won't see an off-centered blade as something to justify paying shipping to send a replacement.

Whenever I consider returning a knife for replacement I always consider the possibility that the replacement might have a worse problem.

I'd say it depends on you. The only thing centering really affects is your resale value. You wouldn't notice it in use if it doesn't rub. I have more than a few off-center knives that I keep as users. If it bugs you or if you think you might sell it later, then return or replace it. It is pretty far off and any good dealer should help out. Also, check if the pivot is loose.

All knives are users to me.
The performance is unaffected I've been using it :D lol

Others mentioned the pivot. Sometimes a slight adjustment of the pivot screw can center, or off-center the blade. This is presuming it has a pivot screw.

What knife/brand is it?

As long as it didn't rub it wouldn't bother me. Especially if I had to pay for return shipping, and possibly pay for shipping of the replacement, and possibly pay a restocking fee.

Since I don't know the maker I don't know what their return policy is. It's possible some makers won't see an off-centered blade as something to justify paying shipping to send a replacement.

Whenever I consider returning a knife for replacement I always consider the possibility that the replacement might have a worse problem.

It's a spyderco endura 4.
From knifecenter, I would think they would cover shipping. I haven't called yet.

Sonnydaze

Gold Member
It's a spyderco endura 4.
From knifecenter, I would think they would cover shipping. I haven't called yet.

This is rare for Spyderco...send it back and ask them to send you one that they have looked at first...
I am a Spydie nut for good reason...they will make it right...

sharp_edge

Gold Member
Yeah - if it bothers you the OP, just send back for a better replacement. However, if it were me, I'd tweak it by myself. I found the method suggested by ChazzyP is particularly effective.

sv4

sjFfAmY.jpg
I purchased a knife I like.
Only issue is the blade isn't centered perfectly.
Doesn't rub...
I really dig the knife, should I just use the thing and not obsess over this minor thing?
That's really way off. It could be an optical illusion but it looks as if the blade itself is warped.