Centered

Throw it in the mail get a refund. That’s terrible for a $188 knife.

Yeah centering can usually be adjusted...lots of videos out there on how to fix it but for almost $200 it shouldn't have left spyderco like that. At this point you shouldn't return it though as you said in post #13, you've been using it. So might as well try to adjust it yourself.

Yeah centering can usually be adjusted...lots of videos out there on how to fix it but for almost $200 it shouldn't have left spyderco like that. At this point you shouldn't return it though as you said in post #13, you've been using it. So might as well try to adjust it yourself.

I used it to cut a orange... I didn't put it through anything that would compromise it.
I'm going with the popular vote to return this one in hopes to get a better knife for the price.

I see a lot of people mistake centering alignment with heat warp or asymmetrical grinding.

Blade centering is a big issue for me. No matter what the knife cost. I would never be happy with that.

Send it back.

Might be ok on FRN version, but this one with full liners could be much better.

I see a lot of people mistake centering alignment with heat warp or asymmetrical grinding.

To be fair, it looks to me that it is off centered and not warped by heat or asymmetrical grinding.

It looks straight

3-E72-E803-0469-4049-9-B02-A300-C5-EE1012.png

This one, my Rat 1 looks warped asymmetrical.

BE4-B825-D-F7-E7-4766-A2-E7-0-FF41873-BC5-A.jpg

81-C8606-E-DF42-4-F57-9-EF8-3-AE24-BE7-B6-C8.png

You can clearly see the tip curves here

060847-D6-4421-4-BFB-846-F-4395-DDF201-CB.jpg

Last edited:
I used it to cut a orange... I didn't put it through anything that would compromise it.
I'm going with the popular vote to return this one in hopes to get a better knife for the price.

I have to ask- Did you try adjusting the pivot to see if that would center the blade?

Q1
I have to ask- Did you try adjusting the pivot to see if that would center the blade?

Yes I did try adjusting the pivot.
I haven't messed with it much after that.
They emailed me a return label I think they are going to make it right.

Out of 6 spydercos this is the only one that had a flaw.
I'm not holding it against them, I'm still a spyder fan.

Spyderco’s are normally very good about blade centering.

This just proves they are like everyone else.

FYI. Knives have adjustment screws for a reason. Unless the blade is warped, the blade can be centered with little effort. 1/8 turn of a screw is not tinkering.

I did not know you meant 1/8 turn of a screw. But clearly that blade won't be centered with such a tiny adjustment. And yes - any time you apply a screwdriver on a screw of a knife, you are tinkering it. Whether the dealer cares about it or notices it could be a different matter.

FYI. Knives have adjustment screws for a reason. Unless the blade is warped, the blade can be centered with little effort. 1/8 turn of a screw is not tinkering.

Agreed.

When I receive a new folder one of the first things I check for is blade play. I hate blade play and considerate it unacceptable.

If I returned every knife that had blade play out of the box I likely would have gotten fed up dealing with all the returns and extra waiting and given up on buying folders a long time ago. I've never had a folder with blade play that I couldn't fix with a minimal turn of the pivot screw (less than 1/8th"). I cannot comprehend returning a knife without at least attempting such an "adjustment".

I don't consider that tinkering, anymore than if a clip screw were loose. I consider it "tightening the screw". I consider "tinkering" to be an actual change in the physical condition of the knife, like bending the clip or sanding off a rough edge on a liner or handle scale.

On a related note- I sure hope the OP tells us how this whole saga turns out. I imagine I'm not the only one who would be interested to know.

Back