Review CH Knives CH 3504, WOW!

I know how some here hate Chinese knives. If that is you, don't bother reading this.

With my experience with the CH Knives CH 3001 as one of my forays into ball bearing knives to see if I could like them, I decided to try another CH Knives model. The CH 3001 has become my favorite EDC in any situation that I might encounter.

So after the usual wait of 2 months for delivery where I live, I now have my CH 3504 for a day. You could call this post more of a first impressions rather than a full review. I will update this this with further experience. The original CH 3504 knife had a skull motif which I hated. I was happy to see a plain handle design and I jumped on it.

The CH 3504 has a S35VN blade in a titanium frame lock handle. The frame lock has a stainless steel insert and over travel stop. It is a broad blade, semi drop point, flipper with no thumb studs :thumbsup:. I have learned that I prefer no thumb studs on flippers as they just get in the way. The blade is an almost full flat grind with a swedge on the back. Ferrorod users can forget this knife as the back of the knife is well chamfered. The gimping on the back is rather large and bumpy but functional. I would prefer every company just have gimping like Spyderco does on their knives, but oh well. The blade has a nice flat area with a long belly to the tip. I hope I can believe that the blade steel is as advertised, S35VN, but I have no way to test it. The blade is around 3.54" long or 90mm. This is bigger than the Rat 1. Centering is perfect.

The handle is 4.72" or 120mm long. It is nicely contoured and very comfortable in my very large hands in any grip. It might not be as comfortable for those with small hands. The pocket clip is milled titanium. It works very well and is fairly deep carry. It has a back spacer that is titanium and all is a very dark blue anodized.

The pivot is on ceramic ball thrust bearings. The surprising thing is that there are thick steel washers in the titanium handles to take the load of the bearings. This is great thing! This means that the balls will not wear their way into the titanium and cause the same problems as might happen in ball bearings against titanium in the future. This makes this knife a harder use knife IMHO. The action was great out of the box, but if possible I remove the factory grease, clean, and apply better oil/grease. It got even better with 85 weight Nano-oil in the bearings and pivot. The pivot screws are large headed but have normal Torx T9 sockets. The pivot screws have thin o-rings under the heads that make thread locker unnecessary. Everything stays in place once adjusted.

Now this thing isn't light. It weighs 5.7oz or 160g. There is no attempt to lighten the knife by milling out the handles inside. Milling to lighten the knife would add more cost of course. It is a bit heavy but given how much more blade you get over a ZT0566 for basically the same weight, well....

This is a big and relatively heavy knife. Is it for everyone? No. It is for those who are looking for a big knife for sheeple be damned, EDC, no apologies do most things well folder. It carries the same size as a Spyderco PM2, carries a blade much longer, and hides in the pocket discretely like a ZT0566. A blade with S35VN is nothing to laugh at. All this at around $88USD shipped to your door? What can I say?

So far I have been very impressed with CH Knives. They have original designs, good materials, and good workmanship. People need to start paying more attention to this company.

Pictures to come later.

As promised, pictures!
CH3504_closed.jpg
CH3504_closed_clip_side.jpg
CH3504_closed_clip_detail.jpg
CH3504_open.jpg
CH3504_open_clip_side.jpg
CH3504_internals.jpg

You can see the steel washer insert for the ball bearings. Nice touch. You can also see the perfectly symmetrical grinds and edge. It came very sharp but I gave it strop to refine the edge. The o-ring goes under the head of the pivot screw and keeps the screws from moving once adjusted. All the hardware seems to properly hardened too.

Last edited:
I still prefer to stay with SanRenMu for Chinese knives, because of pricing (typically US$10 or lesser) and they have the perfect size I look for (blade lengths between 2.7" to 3").

CH is a little out of my budget, but more importantly their knives are ginormous. I really don't have any interest in any knife company that does not made have a decent selection of products with blade lengths between 2.7" to 3.2".

CH is a little out of my budget, but more importantly their knives are ginormous. I really don't have any interest in any knife company that does not made have a decent selection of products with blade lengths between 2.7" to 3.2".

Have a look at the CH 3504 mini. It is only 3", AUS8 and $50 shipped.

I own the dark skulled version of the knife.
Great quality and attention to details for the price.

I really look forward for the new Rhino model.

Do you think CH knives is importing the S35VN steel?
I have doubts, but I remember seeing on youtube or somewhere else that someone checked to see with a steel manufacturer if they had shipped any steel to China and received a yes as an answer.

If this knife is made with 440C, or AUS8, or something else instead of S35VN, it is still a great knife especially for the money. I would be pissed to know that I had been lied to though.

Do you think CH knives is importing the S35VN steel?
That's the big question.

I remember when Kizer first came on the scene a few years ago, it was doubted that they actually used S35VN steel. Eventually it was shown to be the truth with CPM invoices to prove it during the Tim Britton mess. Kizer now is a part of the enthusiast industry and attends shows, participates in fora and is stepping up service and support.

I'm not saying CH is on par with Kizer. I don't really know anything about CH knives. I own a few CH knives and am very impressed with my 3504 Mini. The CH 3504 Mini is the best $50 knife I've ever handled, rivaling knives costing 3X as much. It's stamped "AUS8" but my gut tells me it's probably not. My guess is it would be 8Cr13MoV, the Chinese grade developed by Spyderco to mimic AUS8. I'll have a better feel as I use it and see how it retains and takes an edge. Honestly, I couldn't tell AUS8 from 8CR by performance though. If CH is stamping 8CR as AUS8 it, to me, raises a warning flag about what else they may not be upright about.

I'm not ready to endorse CH, but I've been impressed with some of what I've seen. I'll be cautiously watching what they do in the future. I've been intending to spend some time googling CH knives to determine if they also produce clones, but haven't had a chance.

So far, so good.

I'm not ready to endorse CH, but I've been impressed with some of what I've seen. I'll be cautiously watching what they do in the future. I've been intending to spend some time googling CH knives to determine if they also produce clones, but haven't had a chance.

So far, so good.

I have yet to see anything with the CH brand on it that looks like even an attempt to copy another design. All of their designs are unique and well thought out.

Pictures have been added to the OP. I was wondering too, is there a way to determine than the steel is really S35VN?

I googled CH knives and I could only find the skull knife that they make and a slew of knockoffs of other manufacturers/custom makers. Do they have a website or are they just carried by ripoff resale sites?

Nice enough knife but I felt like I was shopping for a car at a dealership where all the inventory was stolen.

SanRenMu and CH should never even be included in the same sentence. I have owned both.

I have had several CH knives and the steel does seem to perform like S35vn. Which is pretty damn good!

IMO the CH knives are the best bargain money can buy in knives. Not even a close second in the bang-for-the-buck category.

After some investigation, there does seem to be a bit of a resemblance of the CH 3504 to the Tim Britton Custom Tango. The overall silhouette is quite similar. Is that a design ripoff? I am not sure. So many knives look similar today. There are enough design differences to make this a different knife IMHO.

Nice knife, I'd try to get one, but it don't think i can import it to my country. Can't have folders that are easily opened with one hand. Booo

I got a couple CH34's from a great member here on the exchange. I put a razor sharp, mirror polished edge on one. The Steel was pretty soft and easy to work. Made me suspect it wasn't really S35VN. I've done quite a few ZT's etc, that I know are S35VN and the job took a lot longer (on the Zt's) to get to the same level of mirror edge slicey-ness as on the CH. Maybe it's legit steel and a lesser heat treat? Hard to say for sure. However: Great knife. Even blade grinds on my two. Decent sharpening choil, a nice touch. Great action. Just not crazy about the Skull on the handles. It is what it is.

I haven't used either of the two C3405's hard yet to see how they'll really hold an edge when tested on tougher materials for longer times & more cuts. But for the money, hell, even if it's only 8Cr13Mov I'm still be pretty happy with it, even with only light, daily tasks thus far. It cuts nicely, holds up pretty well, Great fit & finish all round, has ceramic ball bearings & a ceramic detent, easy lockbar release tension, Steel insert/no lock stick, all with no play & rock solid action comparable to many knives 2&3&4 times its cost. And at 5.6 oz, it's a pleasure to carry & use as a totally one handed edc.

I too wish I knew more about this mystery company, or had a warranty. But for around $80 bucks, its a nice, somewhat unique spin on the standard ti fame lock bearing flipper. Viva Le' Diffaura'nce!:cool::thumbsup: Plus, It cuts cheese as easily and stealthfully as my uncle Frankie.

CH polished edge_edited-2.jpg

After some investigation, there does seem to be a bit of a resemblance of the CH 3504 to the Tim Britton Custom Tango. The overall silhouette is quite similar. Is that a design ripoff? I am not sure. So many knives look similar today. There are enough design differences to make this a different knife IMHO.
I think if anything the 3504 might infringe on the Kizer 401 rather than anything made by Tim Britton. Here are a couple of links that spell out the whole affair and the bizarre connection between the Ki401 and the Tango...

https://www.everydaycommentary.com/www.everydaycommentary.com//2014/11/kizer-ki3404-3-review.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/knifeclub/...al_piece_of_the_kizertim_britton_controversy/

That being said, I think the look of the 401/3504 is generic enough to derive independently without copying.

I think if anything the 3504 might infringe on the Kizer 401 rather than anything made by Tim Britton. Here are a couple of links that spell out the whole affair and the bizarre connection between the Ki401 and the Tango...
Rumor says that the guy who owns the CH brand used to work for Kizer as a designer.
If that is in fact the case - he probably designed both of these knives and there is no infringement.
Just like Hinderer's XM-18's aren't an infringement of the ZT0562.

I just gave the edge a few strokes with my Fallkniven DC-4 on both the diamond side and the fine ceramic. The steel feels harder than the D2 in my Rat1. I am going to believe from this evidence that it is S35VN. Further use will give me a better idea.

Last edited:
Nice knife. I've been tempted to check out a couple different CH models, but I'm not willing to purchase from the sites I find them available on. Maybe, once CH becomes more mainstream, they'll be available at the knife dealers I'm used to shopping with. :)

Some of the pieces of that knife are very reminiscent of how WE manufactures their knives, like the clip, lockbar insert/over-travel stop, and backspacer. Does CH manufacture their own knives or have them done by someone else?

Back