cheap knife to buy under 15$?

Don't listen to the guys telling you to save your money and not buy a knife. You're a guy looking to buy a knife on a budget and people on a blade forum should be happy that you're a member here and looking for information. Mora's are awesome knives and some guys with unlimited budgets still swear by them. Opinels are classics and amazing slicers. The Kershaw I recommended above has been in my buddys pocket (gift from me) for the past 2 years now and has performed great for his needs. I personally would never buy an MTech or Tac Force knife, but I would rather have either of them on my person than nothing at all.

Don't listen to the guys telling you to save your money and not buy a knife. You're a guy looking to buy a knife on a budget and people on a blade forum should be happy that you're a member here and looking for information. Mora's are awesome knives and some guys with unlimited budgets still swear by them. Opinels are classics and amazing slicers. The Kershaw I recommended above has been in my buddys pocket (gift from me) for the past 2 years now and has performed great for his needs. I personally would never buy an MTech or Tac Force knife, but I would rather have either of them on my person than nothing at all.

He said he wants a knife that is cool looking. Mora and Opinel typically don't fit that for someone younger wanting to buy their first knife. LOL

If you can afford a little more ($25) you can buy an Ontario Utilitac II. A sturdy knife that may fit your desires.

For 20 you could get a Kershaw tremor it's big though and pretty cool looking in my opinion

IIRC you can get a Gerber Paraframe or Mini Paraframe in that price range. If they're not fancy enough you could always superglue some sequins to the handle or something, but that might put you over budget :D.

i want to buy a new knife. budget is around 15$. knife should be tactical type or hunting type. fixed blade, folding blade, both will do. suggest me a good knife? it'd be great if you post amazon link of the knife:) thanks in advance.
my first post :):)
PS- knife should be fancy/cool looking:p

He said he wants a knife that is cool looking. Mora and Opinel typically don't fit that for someone younger wanting to buy their first knife. LOL

I have no idea where his age is mentioned, or that this is his first knife. I do however see a pretty broad spectrum of what he would consider. This being said, I find my logic to be superior to the people on this post telling him to spend more money. Especially when they are recommending the same basic budget steels. Get a clue.. The guy has a budget and wants recommendations under $15. The Crown I recommended has the same steel as the cryo, and its very comparable to Aus8. He does mention classy, which the crown has over the cryo.. and its pretty cool too for $12, which is why other smart people agreed with me. (I have both btw).

Wait, I have an idea... Hey buddy. don't buy a $25 dollar knife. If you can save up $10 dollars more you can get a Cold Steel Mini Recon 1 for $35. Or better yet, if you save $5 dollars a week for the next 6 months you can get a Spyderco PM2.

Where does it end? Why can't some people just give the guy the advice he is looking for? If a guy asks for a $10 dollar knife, I'll have a serviceable recommendation for him. Anyone can tell him to spend more. It defeats the purpose of the OP's request. I am sure he knows he can get a better knife for more money. There are many knives in the $30 dollar class that really get you to the next tier in terms of quality. I can make a list of about 50 of them. But is it my job to teach this guy a lesson in quality? I can argue to compare the stop pin on the utilitac to the stop pin on the Rat 1 and ask why anyone wouldn't spend $3-$5 more dollars on the Rat 1 to get a knife with a stop-pin twice the size. Or $5-$7 more for the Triad Lock on an American lawman with that sweet forward finger choil, and keep going up and up.

Ok.. Time to fish.. Reds are runnin.. BTW the knife in my pocket in this pic is a $15 CRKT MO'SKEETER. Its about a year old and is one of my fishing EDC's (considering I fish almost everyday). Its been a great little knife and doesn't owe me a dime. It was well worth the $15 and I am glad I bought it. There are no steel liners to rust, Its ultra light, Has ambi clip, and has a nice choil, Its very spyderco native looking and feel but lighter, I can make it wicked sharp in 2 minutes on my double sided sharpener, and lastly, I can abuse the hell out of it and not care.

Last edited:
Don't listen to the guys telling you to save your money and not buy a knife. You're a guy looking to buy a knife on a budget and people on a blade forum should be happy that you're a member here and looking for information.

You've got to admit though, even moving up to the $20-$30 range opens things up substantially for the modern tactical shopper...

I do think a lot of decent suggestions have been given. I have Moras, Opinels, and Svords and think they are great blades for the money, but they didn't seem to meet the tone of the OP's post. I could be wrong...

Do you have any experience with M-Tech? I have a couple of their fixed blades that I just got for fun to see what they are like and they actually surprised me to the upside (again considering the price point).

Kershaw crown gets my vote for the budget. A year or so ago I found them for $10 at walmart around Christmas. I bought 20 of them and got my Christmas shopping done in one go.

Agreed on Kershaw for budget shopping... just search on your shopping site of choice for Kershaw and see what's there... Very few options at <$15 (there are some though), but depending on how much looks are worth to you, you may find your self throwing an extra $10 or so to get what you really want.

Don't listen to the guy who posted deal spotting links against forum rules!

That's my bad. I am fairly new to the site and I didn't know. I was told not to do it and I won't do it again. To say not to listen to me because of a mistake, when my recommendations are quality is pretty stupid. I am taking time to help this guy by staying within his parameters, which should be respected. To recommend a $30 knife to someone with a $15 budget is the same as telling a guy to spend $200 when he asks for a $100 knife. Who are we to judge what $15 means to this guy? It may mean as much as $100 to you or me. Its simple math and logic. One should also note that my recommendations were reinforced by other posters more than any other. Should he not listen to any of us who made the same suggestions? Again, flawed logic.. Its a shame and sad. I deal with this often though because most people are not too bright.

The Tac Force TF-705 series is good for the money. I got one for for about 2-3 bucks. It's pretty solid, and feels like some 25 dollar knifes I've used.

2nd for the Kabar Dozier. Solid user.

Other than that I can only suggest Opinels or Moras.

You'll be hard pressed to find cool looking and good working at that budget. I say bring it up to $25 at least to start finding some really good budget knives.

As already mentioned ...

Folders ...

Kabar Mini Dozier - under $15 but in kewl colors like neon green and orange with black blades will be closer to $18

Kershaw OD-2 - sweet flipper that I carry at the office

Fixed ...

Mora Companion or Companion HD

Opinel

Back