Cheap knives are a bad idea.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Chapp, Apr 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimMD

JimMD

Dec 6, 2017
    Full disclosure: I paid for extradited shipping. And I’ll owe California sales tax on it eventually. Still a good deal.:D

TenShun705 and Lapedog like this.
  2. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I agree that knives should have a good heat treatment. If they don't, they can be useless or just not great tools.

OP added prices into the mix and that's where things are going to go down hill in the debate.

Sergeua likes this.
  3. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Henry when I read your post it prompted me to read most of the OP's 88 post and by golly I think your right my friend. :eek::eek:

K.O.D. likes this.
  4. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    One post. Hit and run.

r redden likes this.
  5. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Although I think I see what youre trying to get at, you've eliminated a large portion of really great blades simply based on price. Spyderco has several under $100 that are outstanding, Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, etc, even the tenacious is a decent blade. You've eliminated basic Griptillian and Minigrip models from Benchmade, Kershaw, ESEE Avispa, even the long revered Buck 110, not to mention traditionals like Case and GEC. I don't know about you, but several ESEE's come in under the $100 mark and are outstanding.

I agree that several REALLY good blades come in between $100-200 (or more if the suit you), but quality is based on more than price alone. Its not even about getting people into the "hobby" really. I cant imagine that the majority of people actually using their knives as real work knives are using $3-500 knives, most probably fall in the under $100 category and the $100-200 category second.

craytab likes this.
  6. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    when they do an atmos in 14c28n, it will be epic... until then my leek is happy to be my usual edc

Psy223 likes this.
  7. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    I smell Troll ! :mad:

But , yeah ...junky tools can cause time delays , frustration , ruined work and even serious injury . :(

:) However , there are plenty of under $90 knives available that are just as functional as any other more pricey . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Good is good and bad is bad. Doesn’t matter what the price is.

TenShun705 and willc like this.
  9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Inexpensive knives apparently sell very well. My Rough Ryder slippies perform pretty darn well for a knife that cost between $8 and $15. What matters is being able to see the value of a more expensive knife. If the differences can't be seen or understood, go for the inexpensive stuff. Knives are one thing. Power tools are something else.... I generally buy better than average quality power tools because they last longer and you can depend on them to do the job without having to run to the home center or hardware store to buy a replacement to finish a job. I've done that and I've learned.

r redden likes this.
  10. Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste

Sep 17, 2014
    Nice bait. You got more responses than I would have thought for such a poorly thought-out point of view. Goes to show how much I know about being a troll. This thread is 4 pages and counting!

Well, here’s my $.02:

Cheap knives are not the problem. Bad knives are. Sometimes there is a correlation between the two. However just because a knife is inexpensive does not mean it is either cheap or bad.

>99% of the knives used throughout the history of man would not be worth using according to you. And during pretty much all of that time had your ancestors chosen “no knife” you would probably not be here today.

TenShun705 and DocJD like this.
  11. rogatsby

rogatsby

Jun 19, 2018
    The Leek is nice. But it's an assisted knife. One of the reasons I love the Atmos is that it has amazing action without the Speedsafe assist.

Now, you mentioned an Atmos in 14c18N. That would be sweet!

dirc likes this.
  12. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Hey @Chapp, did you ever buy that Sebenza and make it a flicking knife. Just curious, that’s all.

craytab likes this.
  13. cbrstar

cbrstar Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2015
    The problem with knives is you don't realize you need better until you have better. Just like cheap tools you adapt, but once you finally experience the better tool the ignorance is gone and you will want the better one because it enriches your life.

Seesteel likes this.
  14. JimMD

JimMD

Dec 6, 2017
    Great points! I think my $25 Tangram Santa Fe and my $39 Civivi Baklash are pretty good knives.

15. KVT

KVT

Feb 17, 2019
    And the feeding continues...

16. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    You can get some good knives cheap on the exchange.

17. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja

Dec 19, 2018
    $20 Mora knife laughs at OP.

$125 mystery Damascus fleabay knife cries at OP.

18. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Totally disagree with the OP, many decent knives that are not exspensive. This $11 Mora Companion is only one example.
    [​IMG]

A.L. and Sergeua like this.
  19. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Oatmeal Pecan is better than Chocolate-chip.

Jun 30, 2016
    I've shot some really expensive really unreliable guns... I've also shot some really cheap guns that are more reliable than you can ever expect any gun to be.

Practicality and safety generally aren't the best arguments for expensive items. The only justification I bother to give for purchasing a pricier knife is: "Because I like them."

TenShun705 and colin.p like this.
  20. Airborne 1

Airborne 1

Apr 23, 2014
    Hook...Line...and Sinker .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.