Cheap knives are a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This knife was $5, so I guess I'll throw it away since it's cheap. These thin and well ground blades sure don't cut very well. It's boring old carbon steel too, so you know it won't hold an edge, because reasons. I wish it had a better lock too, every time I try to cut with the back side of the blade it folds up on me. :(

IMG_4053.jpg

Countless people throughout history and around the world, up to the present day, have used knives that you would categorize as too dangerous and useless to be tools; many of whom often used (and still use) their knives MUCH harder to make a living on a day-to-day basis than a high percentage (most?) of today's 'knife aficionados'). They couldn't have done so if the knives they had were useless as tools.
This sums up the entire thread.

It's true that not everyone can buy a Paramilitary 2 or an Esee knife. Even fewer people are willing to put half a grand on a Sebenza. Some have families, some have low-income, some don't like to spend much on things and I'm not here to judge. Still, from my personal experience and after a lot of thought and testing,

Wow. You sound like an affluent connoisseur of fine knives. I'm impressed.

Cheap knives are a bad idea. First you start with one, and you think, well, it was cheap, I'll buy one just a little better. Then the next thing you know you are justifying 250$ as a cheap knife, even though you have a box full of knives, but "well, its still less than many other knives" Worse yet, you walk past a display cabinet with a bunch of SAKs or opis on discount and you think, "Yeah, I do have two tinkers and a stainless number 6 in box, but you know, they make such great gifts, and I don't want to end up giving away my last one, so I'll just grab an extra couple now" And if its online its even worse, because "Yeah, well but the extra 40$ gets me the free shipping, so I'm actually spending more money to get less knives if I don't buy that other one"

Friends don't let friends Cheap Knives.

Ive carried buck and case stockmans for years. And as a young boy until i was grown a schrade.
I carry a more modern folder now in addition to a case,sak,or buck. I no longer own any knives over 90 dollars,not to say i wont.
If ya wanna spend more you can, everyones idea of expensive is different. For some who need or want a pocketknife an old timer that
Runs 15 to 20 dollars or maybe a rat 2 is what they wanna spend or maybe what they can afford.
For others a gec or somethimg like a pm2 is at the low end of the spectrum
I say if ya find a good knife you like and can afford it,buy it. The price doesnt make a good or bad knife, the materials and craftsmanship do that

I started out buying a couple combo packs of Chinese made Buck knives for cheap. I quickly moved up to Buck Select's and RAT's. The difference in quality was certainly noticeable even though the Chinese Bucks were hardly junk knives, but you get what you pay for.

Buy what you can afford and if you are satisfied with one or a couple of EDC knives and no interest in more, buy what you like regardless of what it costs. It really isn't rocket science.

Hang on, all my tradionals are less than 90 bucks and that is our crappy CAD dollar.:mad::thumbsdown::confused:o_O:poop::p

Last edited:
There is a significant niche for inexpensive knives. All manufacturers would love to have a model or two that everyone praises and costs $30 or less retail regardless of where it is made. Many young folks would never have been introduced to the cutlery world other than in the kitchen if for some reason knives cost $90 or more. Inexpensive knives are important!

They may not be your cup of tea, but for the majority of people, they work quite nicely to cut the occasional thing we all do day to day. This is one of the reasons I have really become interested in Rough Ryder knives. They're inexpensive. They work. I of course have more expensive stuff and can appreciate them. I have said before, if I only had a Vic SAK, I could function perfectly well in my day to day life.

It's true that not everyone can buy a Paramilitary 2 or an Esee knife. Even fewer people are willing to put half a grand on a Sebenza. Some have families, some have low-income, some don't like to spend much on things and I'm not here to judge. Still, from my personal experience and after a lot of thought and testing, I strongly think cheap knives are a bad idea.
What do I call a cheap knife ? A low-price knife, basically. Everything sub-90$ is a cheap knife for me.

Sure, Esee knives are expensive, especially for 1095. But what you get is a solid knife, with great design and a close-to-perfect heat treatment. It's a knife you can actually rely on. A good heat treatment is a key when it comes to prevent the blade to snape on your eyes or fingers for exemple. Heat treatment is often overlooked by cheap knives companies.

A knife isn't a typical tool, like a prybar or a pair of sunglasses. It's an insanely sharp object that you must trust. It's like a gun. You can cheap out on everything, but playing it cheap on knives or gun isn't something I'll recommend.

It might be controversial, but I'd rather have no knife than a cheap knife. No-knife can't hurt me, having no blade means it won't slap on me, having no lock means it won't fail at the worst moment... Sure, those cheaper knives are fun. It's always fun to think something that cheap can actually be a decent knife to play around. That doesn't mean they're good tools at all.

Disclosure : not all expensive knives are great.
Just logging on this morning and I haven't had the time to read the whole thread so if this has been covered I apologize. I have on immediate reaction to the OP. I'll check in later to read the rest.

Sorry C Chapp , you are wrong. Even by your own criteria. Esee sells some fantastic knives at less than $90. Esee 3 and izula as examples.

I've got plenty of sub $90 knives that I would completely rely on to do what I intended of them.

Go talk to line cooks that make their living with a knife and you'll find a huge number of cheap, reliable knives like a Dexter Russell. Expensive knives are largely a luxury items. Cheap ones do a whole lot of work.

Bingo. It depends on use. Every knife in the world isn't a folder or fixed blade bushcraft type most often discussed here.

It's not only line cooks but workers in meat processing plants who use butcher and breaking knives all day long. Hourly workers can't afford $90+ tools. That's where Dexter Russell, Victorinox and Forschner among others come in. Tons of other European and Asian ones exist too.

I used $3 Tramontina stamped steel paring knives for years that I preferred over $50 forged Wusthof and Henckels models. As a restaurant owner/chef I could afford any knife I wanted. Sure the steel was soft, but once worn I just grabbed a new one. They sharpened easily, are very thin slicers and are ergonomically friendly. Today they're $10 each.

Drawing an arbitrary line is capricious and uniformed. Sure, the OP is a troll but it engendered some good discussions.

Last edited:
There's a lot of really excellent bargain-priced knives available. To suggest that someone has to spend a certain amount in order to obtain a "good" knife is ridiculous.

I can’t really see any backing to your argument. Seems just like opinion rather than any facts.

And even the facts are wrong. Esee 3 is sub $90: https://www.theknifeconnection.net/...icarta-handle-coyote-brown-sheath-clip-plate/

AeWIvI5h.jpg

If one is going to make a controversial argument, it is best to have the most basic of facts correct. The OP has a history of not well thought out posts.

I think the OP got exactly what he wanted - 5+ pages of endless bantering where we’re all saying the same thing, lol.
Mission accomplished OP!

I stopped reading at “sub-90$.” There are a lot of good knives below that mark. A sak may dull quicker and may not be “fast to deploy” but will generally cut as well if not better than most knives >$100. That’s just the first knife I thought of.

I EDC a Spyderco Gayle Bradley which in the world of knives is an inexpensive folder. I have carried it since it was released. It does the job.

We all bit the troll bait...
Let them eat cake?
Obvious troll post. Reported.
And the OP was never seen again.
Henry when I read your post it prompted me to read most of the OP's 88 post and by golly I think your right my friend. :eek::eek:
One post. Hit and run.

What should I run from, lad ? You ? Other butthurt forums dwellers ? I don't have time to spend as much time on this forum as some of the bored manchild like the person I quoted above. I prefer to post first, let the answers get-in, and take my time to write back, like I always do.

Totally disagree with the OP, many decent knives that are not exspensive. This $11 Mora Companion is only one example.

I have one too. I live in Europe, we know Morakniv probably even better than americans since they're basically everwhere here. More on Morakniv below.

I've shot some really expensive really unreliable guns... I've also shot some really cheap guns that are more reliable than you can ever expect any gun to be.

Like I said, not all expensive knives are reliable or good ; see ZT knives and how they can snap on your finger if you hit the back of the blade. Shit design.

I live in Europe, but I still tend to shoot a lot because of my job. I agree with your overall statement. A glock 19 or a glock 43 is as reliable as it can get. I wouldn't call those cheap guns though. 600$ isn't cheap for a reliable handgun like a glock. I'd be worry about spending only 600$ on a revolver though.

$20 Mora knife laughs at OP.

It's always funny to see dumbshmucks getting out of the wood, playing it sarcastic, and bringing up the Morakniv like their existence is some well-kept secret only the biggest knife enthousiast know. I live in Europe, Morakniv are well-known here and like you can see below, I have one (actually I have four). It's a decent knife, but you still get what you pay for. It's still a cheap knife I wouldn't trust that much for anything else than light tasks. Plastic handle, small tang, not so great grind, midde-grade metal...

Hey C Chapp , did you ever buy that Sebenza and make it a flicking knife. Just curious, that’s all.

I know you're trying to play it smart because you're still butthurt about the discussion we had months ago (told a lot about your shitty life). Still, I bought a Sebenza and I did adapt to it. I didn't "mod" it to make it flick easier, I actually grew found of the slow opening. I flick my Para2 instead.

PSA : the Inkosi is the one you want if you want to flick. CRK made it that way so people could open it the way they wanted (I asked them directly). Too bad you were too butthurt, or less knowledgable than you think, to mention it back then.

Sorry C Chapp , you are wrong. Even by your own criteria. Esee sells some fantastic knives at less than $90. Esee 3 and izula as examples.

Esee knives are way more expensive in my country than they are in the US, especially at retails. An Izula 2 is close to 115$ here and slightly more expensive at retail. They're more expensive in Europe, in Canada, in Brasil and in Japan from what I know for certain. In fact they're more expensive basically everywhere outside of the US. The world isn't limited to the US.

I agree that knives should have a good heat treatment. If they don't, they can be useless or just not great tools.

I doubt most companies selling knives at the 30$ price point care about heat threatment that much. Some people don't care about heat threatment, hence the reason most companies just cheap on it. To me, heat threatment is king. I'd rather take a shit blade materiel with a great heat threatment than the opposite.

(Limit of characters reached)

As would my $85 Dragonfly 2 in ZDP-189, which has a super steel that I almost never have to sharpen, and is an ergonomic beast. Heck, even the regular Dragonfly in VG10 is a beast.
Really? My $80 dollar Endura 4 will beg to differ.

Although I think I see what youre trying to get at, you've eliminated a large portion of really great blades simply based on price. Spyderco has several under $100 that are outstanding, Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, etc, even the tenacious is a decent blade. You've eliminated basic Griptillian and Minigrip models from Benchmade, Kershaw, ESEE Avispa, even the long revered Buck 110, not to mention traditionals like Case and GEC. I don't know about you, but several ESEE's come in under the $100 mark and are outstanding.

I agree that several REALLY good blades come in between $100-200 (or more if the suit you), but quality is based on more than price alone. Its not even about getting people into the "hobby" really. I cant imagine that the majority of people actually using their knives as real work knives are using $3-500 knives, most probably fall in the under $100 category and the $100-200 category second.

The problem is, I had a Delica and I have a Dragonfly 2, like you can see in a picture below.

They're decent knives, but I sold the Delica because I got what I paid for : a back-lock lock with plastic handles, a blade that dull fast and some blade play after sometimes. I liked it for what it was, but I couldn't trust it that much.
The Dragonfly 2 inspire even less confidence. You could basically slap it with your hands. It has no liners, no washers, it's basically a blade scratching against plastic. I still like it because I think the design in itself is great, probably the best for a small knife. Problem is, there are too many downsides. Now, the G10 Dragonfly is another kind of beast and what I would consider a great starting point for a knife and probably one of the best EDC around for its size, but it's past the 90$ price point. I'm still in-shock Spyderco doesn't make it in various colors with a better blade material... I like you Spyderco, but your second to none when it's about leaving money on the table.

Next, the Benchmade Grip. I had the "big" one and the mini-grip, classic plastic versions for both (not the G10 ones). The big griptilian felt like a cheap knife sold for 100$. It's just an awful knife. The design is great, but cheap plastic handles and the partial liners are a deal breaker for me. It feels cheap and fragile. The mini-grip is what I consider the BARE MINIMUM for a folder. It has washers, great design, full liners and I abuse it on daily basis. Great knife, I have it, I carry it on me all the time, but afaik, it's past the 90$ price range.

Don't get me started on Kershaw. Bad brand of assisted crap people like for reasons I can't understand. Outside of collecting or impulse buying (which I'm also guilty of sometimes), why buy a kershaw crap knife when you can spend a little more and get a mini-grip or a G10 Dragonfly ?

I guess I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth I think the OP is probably new to knife collecting or young either way they must have not had a lot of experience with knives or he/she would realize that price don't really have anything to do with it. I have expensive and inexpensive knives most are slipjoints I probably have around 200 knives and over half of them cost less than $90 and none are junk. From vintage USA made NOS Schrade that cost around $25 to new Delica's for around $50 yes VG10 not the best but certainly good enough for me made in Seki Japan and simply an excellent EDC. Then as others have mention there's the Opinel and Vics and even though some have an aversion to knives made in China but the truth is there are some that are less than $20 new that would serve you well. That said I recently bought a Rogers Lambsfoot Barlow from a Sheffield dealer for $98 more than the OP's price point that had the worst F&F I've ever seen in any knife and it was useless. So my suggestion is think about what you are saying when you post and if you are guessing don't post it or you might get the reaction the OP is getting from a bunch of knife crazy folks they will call you out.

Why should I be afraid of getting angry reactions ? I posted a controversial opinion on a discussion board of knife enthousiast. It's like going on a video-game forums and saying "A link to the past" sucks ball and always had or that Ocarina of time is one of the most boring game ever made (which are both true, nonetheless). You'll get hate and I could care less about it. I always question stuff, I don't care about the Doxa.

Second, I'm quite well-versed in cheap knives. I spend months buying a lot of them, testing them... Actually, you can see I've still some of them :

DGqxhP6.jpg

I use to have even more than that for testing purpose. I've tested probably more than 30. That's what I consider being an enthousiast : you want to test the most you can to forge an opinion. That's what I do, I test a lot of knife, I look at them, open them, ask a lot of questions to companies, I watch inside... I don't speak from my ass like many outhere who just want to have a safe opinion on the dollars they spent. Yes, when you're a snowflakes, it hurts to know that someone consider the knives you like as a cheap tools you shouldn't trust that much. That's why you teach your children to not take opinion as personal attack.

I can’t really see any backing to your argument. Seems just like opinion rather than any facts.

Everything is an opinion when it comes to hobby and fanboys. You can't get fact across when feeling are involved.

You want a hard/true fact that backs me up : remove the price tag from any knives, let people chose and you'd see people pick knives around 100-250 over cheap plastic knife like a Rat-2 or a Cutjack mini. That's a fact for you.

Not necessarily so. Don't be a knife snob with such statements. It just proves your ignorance. Just so you know, many will consider your ESEE a cheap knife. I paid less than $15 and less than $35 for my two daily carry knives.

Ulster 180/Craftsman 9507 and Victorinox Farmer.

I live at the Switzerland frontier, in France (you know the country who makes opinel), nobody here cares about Opinel and Victorinox here. We all know they're full of marketing because we had them for decades. Only foreigners buy those thinking they made a bargain. Only victorinox worth buying are past the 100$ price range.

Victorinox are somewhat servicable multi-tools, but shit knives, that's what we all think of them here. Unless you only use them to cut cheese and paper, which isn't my case.

Most major brands in recent years have improved their quality with advanced manufacturing techniques like CNC, better steels and materials such as G10/FRN, IMHO. You can get an excellent knife that will cut for decades for well under $100.
Also $90 doesn't seem like a good line to draw in the sand for what makes a knife cheap.

If cutting is all that matters, I can also grind a junk piece of metal and use it to cut. It will works. A knife isn't just about cutting. It's about the design, the blade material, the heat threatment, the action, the lock sturdiness/the tang solidity, quality washers, non-plastic handles, a versatile blade grind... That's what a knife should be about. I've yet to see that full package in sub 100$ knives, hence why I draw the line at that price-range. If you have an exemple of a full-package for me, I'd be really curious to see it.

I would just observe that "cheap knives" do the vast majority of work on this planet, while those pricy folders tend to sit in collector boxes. Cheap is not junk, while junk at any price is still junk. I don't see how setting an arbitrary price point is useful.

The vast majority isn't always right. I've also used cheap "mall" knives to cook for most of my life. I was doing "fine", they did cut ingredients, but I didn't know any better. I bought better quality knives to cook and never looked back since then. They don't get dull as fast (you don't want a dull knife in a kitchen if you enjoy having fingers), they're great to hold, they're not made of plastic, they're made by companies I actually trust...

For EDC, being french, I used an opinel for some years, it was working fine. It actually cut things and was easy to sharpen. Then I bought a Mini-grip and Para-2, which made me understood what good knives were. That's what made me an enthousiast. Never looked back. I still buy cheap knives to test them, but I've yet to see one that made me consider to look back.

Edited by staff for inappropriate language. Please make your points by using language which other members will not find offensive.

I doubt most companies selling knives at the 30$ price point care about heat threatment that much. Some people don't care about heat threatment, hence the reason most companies just cheap on it. To me, heat threatment is king. I'd rather take a shit blade materiel with a great heat threatment than the opposite.
I agree. But the knife industry avoids focusing on heat treatment in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back