Cheap Knives: Why The 440A Craze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if you had read my posts, you would know I said I learned it here in this forum...

L3F91np.jpg

S30V after slicing 1/8" cardboard once or twice.

mIeHe6j.jpg

GSO-10 after 10 strokes on Maple.

hUzEHdi.jpg

CPM 154 after 10 strokes on Maple.

mUdV6cN.jpg

S30V after less than 10 strokes on Maple, separate hit area forward < 3 hits.

I've posted now 4 different knives in 3 different CPM steels, ranging from $300 to $1700 in price, and all displayed significant micro-folding far faster than any other steel I have ever tried, really almost from single contacts with wood in some cases... Just astounding stuff.

If you think I wanted to see the $1700 knife do this, you have a peculiar logic...: I hand sharpened that thing, hoping for nearly two years to finally get into the promised land of the "unburned" layer... Alas, there is no promised land, when the word printed on it is S30V...

And yet by sheer amazing coincidence, in this fool-proof ultra-simple binary evaluation, I am almost the only one who got all of the bad CPM knife steel in the past twenty years (except for a few really embarrassing on-camera total failures of course, JDavis882 etc: Chhht!)...

That just sounds terribly likely... By an amazing coincidence, everyone else's CPM steel is just absolutely resistant to micro-folding after chopping ten times into the average dried wood, from a big 9-10" blade at around 20 dps. Heck, everyone's GSO-10, with factory edge, never displayed this instant micro-folding in years and years of chopping. Everything is just peachy rosy for everyone else except me...

You know, I'm totally buying stocks into that.

Since I posted four pictures of what I am talking about, why not post some post-chopping pictures demonstrating your amazing good fortune? What can I do?: Not being there I can't (and won't) call you a liar, but I would really be curious to see all that amazing CPM steel working flawlessly up close. It would be an amazing sight to my sore eyes... Like seeing a part of another world, you know?

Gaston

IDK if you realize that suggesting that one (or was it two?) cut into cardboard damaging the edge like that would pretty much require the cardboard to be harder than the steel.

I think you might be confusing steel sheet for cardboard. Cardboard is generally made from recycled paper.

Edit: OMG Gaston incredible idea!!!! You should make a chopper knife out of cardboard, that way you could use it to cut through CPM steels!

Last edited:
This thread is like a hole was ripped in the fabric of the internet, creating a portal to some sort of Bizarro BladeForums alternate reality.

It is fortunate that is so, else the density of stupid in this thread would have fallen in on itself creating a black hole which would have destroyed the universe.

And I am an aerospace materials engineer, and no, we don't use 6-inch diameter bolts on spars. There are such things as 6-inch diameter bolts in aerospace, but they are not used for spars.
The majority of steel used throughout industry is bought to a spec, and it is tested to that spec for composition and purity. It's called "Quality Control" and it exists throughout the steel industry. Whether the alloy in question is suitable for aerospace usage is a separate question and has to do with the properties of the alloy.

chopping? use a simple non-stainless steel.
Edge retention? Use a PM steel.

IDK if you realize that suggesting that one (or was it two?) cut into cardboard damaging the edge like that would pretty much require the cardboard to be harder than the steel.

I think you might be confusing steel sheet for cardboard. Cardboard is generally made from recycled paper.

What you are saying proves that you are so ignorant you actually think you can see the actual damage to the steel itself, and that the whitish line you see is actually bent over metal that is visible to the lens...

Let me educate you on how this works, since apparently no one here even knew enough about the nail method to correct you...

You are not seeing any damage to the steel. This is why all of you actually think CPMs work as knife steels... The bent apex probably hangs on a long time.

What you are seeing is my nail material retained by the edge. This kind of "damage" is not visible to the eye, hence the term "micro roll", and in fact you can grab nail material even with a perfect edge if you swipe perpendicular enough.

The fact you say "steel damage and -cardboard harder than the steel-" for what is whitish nail scrapings from a microscopic curl, pretty much demonstrates you complete lack of understanding of what you are looking at... I'm sure you will try to weasel your way out of this fact, but your language says it all. Its funny, because you are about the third guy I see fall into this same trap with these same pictures...

Since no one else jumped on this to correct your obvious nonsense, and I have never seen anyone else post pictures of nail shavings as part of a knife evaluation, I can only assume that, despite what Stabman is saying, this is not familiar territory to most of you...

And this, at a stroke, both illustrates and explains why, in twenty years, no one has noticed that these particular CPMs steels are not knife steels at all compared to almost everything that came before. 25 dps edges on 4" blades probably explains a lot as well.

Gaston

What you are saying proves that you are so ignorant you actually think you can see the actual damage to the steel itself, and that the whitish line you see is actually bent over metal that is visible to the lens...

Let me educate you on how this works, since apparently no one here even knew enough about the nail method to correct you...

You are not seeing any damage to the steel. This is why all of you actually think CPMs work as knife steels... The bent apex probably hangs on a long time.

What you are seeing is my nail material retained by the edge. This kind of "damage" is not visible to the eye, hence the term "micro roll", and in fact you can grab nail material even with a perfect edge if you swipe perpendicular enough.

The fact you say "steel damage and -cardboard harder than the steel-" for what is whitish nail scrapings from a microscopic curl, pretty much demonstrates you complete lack of understanding of what you are looking at... I'm sure you will try to weasel your way out of this fact, but your language says it all. Its funny, because you are about the third guy I see fall into this same trap with these same pictures...

Since no one else jumped on this to correct your obvious nonsense, and I have never seen anyone else post pictures of nail shavings as part of a knife evaluation, I can only assume that, despite what Stabman is saying, this is not familiar territory to most of you...

And this, at a stroke, both illustrates and explains why, in twenty years, no one has noticed that these particular CPMs steels are not knife steels at all compared to almost everything that came before. 25 dps edges on 4" blades probably explains a lot as well.

Gaston

Yo I don't actually care what is in the picture it has nothing to do with my statement.

YOU are the one who said the edge was damaged by one or two cuts.

Also if you really believe I don't know the fingernail method......lol.....I figured it out when I was a child like everyone does.

[...] And this, at a stroke, both illustrates and explains why, in twenty years, no one has noticed that these particular CPMs steels are not knife steels at all compared to almost everything that came before. 25 dps edges on 4" blades probably explains a lot as well.

Gaston

Tempting though it is employ the ‘million Chinese’ fallacy, I’ll simply say that William of Occam says you are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back