Cheapest Favorite Knives

Discontinued Kershaw Scrambler is a steal IMO at about $23 if you can find one...

Ontario Rat, Kabar Dozier, Buck 110 & 112, Kabar Taiwan made leather handeled fixed blades, and the trusty old Mora's...

SOG AEGIS FL. It's a great hard use thumb stud knife I use to get at WallyMart for 20 bucks. It's a real solidly built slicer that sharpens easily and holds great edge and can handle many falls from ladders onto concrete Lol. last time I checked Sog had given it a face lift and put a flipper tab on it and increased the price to 30 bucks though.
2m5zpuX.jpg

Opinel and Mora are the two I think of that are quality affordable knives that are in relative terms 'cheap'. Less than $20 is a hard price point that both brands meet well.

The utilitac II is still one of the best and most underrated inexpensive knives on the market, and has been for years! Trusted American company, not made in China, aus8, and $23. It's like a poor man's zt 350. I still have one and have gifted a few others. All were well made.
vvcBhiC.jpg

After I read a couple of responses from two members (whose opinions I've come to respect) I picked up a Utilitac. Been involved with knives for decades, never heard of this one. Bottom line: it's absolutely the finest cheap, beater knife I've ever tried. I'm fortunate enough to buy whatever knife strikes my fancy at this point in my life and this $30 knife is becoming one of my favorites. Truly appreciate the heads-up!

After I read a couple of responses from two members (whose opinions I've come to respect) I picked up a Utilitac. Been involved with knives for decades, never heard of this one. Bottom line: it's absolutely the finest cheap, beater knife I've ever tried. I'm fortunate enough to buy whatever knife strikes my fancy at this point in my life and this $30 knife is becoming one of my favorites. Truly appreciate the heads-up!
Excellent! Take a look at this thread. 7 years and still going!

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ontario-utilitac-ii-best-modern-folding-knife-under-30.1112018/

Amazing thread !! Thank you guys.
Looks as I missed some great knives - Opinel, Rat, Dozier ...
My favorite for 25 years is (still) CS Voyager VG-1
But also Frost Mora (early 90's) military and dive.
Recently and very cheap Rough Rider A/O linerlock
Plus some strange knives for constant everyday home use ...

I am a value knife guy($50), and I have/had a ton (100+). I think the Les George may be the best for $20. It's not pretty, but extremely functional, and ergonomic. You get a flipper, deep carry, unique lanyard hole, assisted deployment, and G-10. Get one before they are gone.

3460.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite cheap knife value was the Spyderco Tenacious. Then I got the Ontario Rat1 with D2 steel. For less than $40 this is a very well made knife.

I picked up this Gerber US1 at Walmart for $3.50. It's 1.1 ounces, made in the USA with 420HC steel.

I got it bc it reminded me of a Gerber Knight turns out it's a fantastic ultralight knife for the summer.

HhEn929.jpg

SOG Terminus XR - Probably doesn't qualify as a true "cheapie", but in S35VN steel with SOGs version of the Axis lock and a great form factor for under $100 it's an outstanding value knife. Mine is in regular rotation.

Back