Cheapest Favorite Knives

Buck 110
fBpXvPT.jpg

I wanted to mention the mora classic - but sadly they're gone : ( I still can't believe it

does anyone understand how they fell by the wayside after more than 100 years of popularity?
I guess rubber/synthetic handles have won the war (at mora at least)

So I'll say the mora companion for $15

Buck Canoe - Always with me edc
Cold Steel Grik - Right pocket work pants
KaBar Dozier - Right pocket edc
Buck 110 - Always on work belt
Old Hickory Hunting Knife

QSP Penguin. Denim micarta, D2, under $30. It boggles my mind that a POS Gerber Paraframe costs more than this thing, which came shaving sharp, perfectly centered, and has drop shut action. Only minor negatives are there was a tiny chip in the blade and they used two different sized hardware, but for $29 it's an incredible value.

zZKvYCF.jpg

I've been carrying a Ruike P-108 since November. Got it to see if the 14C28N blade would be any good. I have no complaints about the heat treatment. For $35, it's my cheapest favorite.

Cheapest you say ?
Rough Rider A/O $1.99
I'm not joking - very solid knife, carried dozens of times yet

And for 20+ years CS Voyager VG-1 , but it's not really cheap category
Soon will have a younger brother Recon 1 S35VN
And I got only one pocket ...

Real Steel Bushcraft 2. Cost me the equivalent of 57 bucks and honestly I really love this knife. The D2 steel gets crazy sharp and it stays crazy sharp very well. The knife on the overall feels like a tank.

I think my RAT Model 1 cost about the same as well and I really loved it too. Actually, maybe it was a little less. It's the old one in AUS-8...

I've got the one for my birthday, one of my nephews gave me it, I guess it's around 50$, but quality is great for that price

Cheap/Inexpensive is relative. Most of my knives are over $100. My favorite inexpensive would be my Vic Super Tinker and Kershaw Launch 8. I have a Case mini Copperlock which I don't think is too expensive (it was a gift from a friend for my 40th birthday last year) but it's not a favorite, I rarely use it.

Hard to beat for $8 - $10. It's light enough to carry in my pocket and the thin blade makes it a great slicer.
And no one can figure out how to close it.

kudub.jpg

I wanted to mention the mora classic - but sadly they're gone : ( I still can't believe it

does anyone understand how they fell by the wayside after more than 100 years of popularity?
I guess rubber/synthetic handles have won the war (at mora at least)

So I'll say the mora companion for $15

A few months ago, Mora announced some changes to its classic wood-handled knives. Most notable were a new stained finish and a price increase for the stained versions. A few models were eliminated, the most notable casualty being the Classic 2/0. The 612, essentially a No.2 with a single guard, appears to have been gone for a while, too. Morakniv shows a stained model 2F which looks like a replacement. A 611, which is a No.1 with a single guard, appears to still be available, but for how long? Now the Classic No.1 shows as no longer available on some sites. It looks like you can get some of the other red painted classic models, but I would guess that as stocks run out, they will not be replenished, supplanted by a slightly reconfigured lineup with stained handles.

That is the way it looks on paper, anyway. I haven’t seen any of the stained handles for sale anywhere, but then, I haven’t been looking.

Hard to beat for $8 - $10. It's light enough to carry in my pocket and the thin blade makes it a great slicer.
And no one can figure out how to close it.

View attachment 1377758

You are kidding, of course. There are quite a few Youtube videos on how to tune and handle your Okapi ratchet like a Kingston rudeboy. The same techniques will work on a Kudu. One-handed closing is pretty easy. One-handed opening takes a bit of practice to achieve, quite a lot of practice to master.

The Kudu is not for everyone. A few years ago I bought a bunch as stocking stuffers for my adult kids. Usually, my knife gifts are pretty well received. These landed with a dull thud, and were quickly forgotten. This universal appeal is reflected in the sales price, which has sometimes slipped as low as five bucks.

Last edited:
You are kidding, of course. There are quite a few Youtube videos on how to tune and handle your Okapi ratchet like a Kingston rudeboy. The same techniques will work on a Kudu. One-handed closing is pretty easy. One-handed opening takes a bit of practice to achieve, quite a lot of practice to master.

I know how to open and close it.... others don't.

Small Honey Badger. You can flip it, flick it and wave it with a quick zip tie mod.
The action is outstanding any way it is deployed.

Back