• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Chris Martin AKA Phantom Steelworks!

I believe at this point, everyone who has orders outstanding with him need to figure out how many of us he owes and how much dollar wise he owes. Obviously not everyone who is owed something from him is on Bladeforums or knows about this thread, but I am curious to see at what magnitude this whole thing is. I dont know what we can do from a legal standpoint since most of us have been out the money for well over 1 year, some over 2 years, but I am done waiting for him at this point, and he is a scammer to those of us who are owed money or a knife.

At this point, I think in every state of the US, the amount he has taken with lack of delivery is considered well over the "grand theft" threshold.

I'll get the ball rolling:
Total Paid:$1650.
$1000 March 28, 2016.
Then $650 November 3rd, 2016 with the promise that it was "my turn."
Model: Delirum with an expected wait time of "2-3 months"

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat. I set up a trade with him (Couple of knives and a watch), worth $2500 for a "dress" Mini Delirium. This was August 2015. I was quote 6 months (With a caveat of there might be some delays). I've been in contact with him over the last couple of years (e-mail and Instagram), same excuses that everyone else has received. I even tried to get a refund, he'd already sold the things I'd traded and spent the money. I continued to demand a refund because at the time I thought I needed the money for medical bills, turns out my insurance helped out a lot. I got nowhere. He mentioned medical issues with his wife (I'm a nice guy so I gave him the benefit of the doubt). So, I switched back to waiting on the knife (I told him that as well). I'm about to email him again to see if any progress has been made. I'm not sure if I'll ever get the knife.

*sigh*

Total traded:$2500
Date: August 2015
Promised wait time: 6 months (Estimate)
Current wait time: 2 years 4 months

At this point, most of us who owed something by him are owed thousands. I am not sure what we can do to get what we are owed, any suggestions?

At this point, most of us who owed something by him are owed thousands. I am not sure what we can do to get what we are owed, any suggestions?

I really don't know, he did email me back and threw more excuses about waiting on prototypes, mine would be next etc...

All I can do is wait.

All I know is, until I get the knife I'd rather have the money back. Even after getting it, it might be soured enough that I'll sell it.

I really don't know, he did email me back and threw more excuses about waiting on prototypes, mine would be next etc...

All I can do is wait.

All I know is, until I get the knife I'd rather have the money back. Even after getting it, it might be soured enough that I'll sell it.

I am in the same boat. I am not really into custom knives as much as I used to be when I ordered this one, so that coupled with the fact that this experience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth makes me want to get rid of it when/if I get it.

If there is a pattern, that is evidence of criminal intent.

If any part of the deal was set up or was to be done by mail or if the deal was negotiated on line or by telephone, criminal intent - an intent not to perform on his part, is a serious federal felony - or two. Mail Fraud and/or Wire Fraud.

18 U.S.C. § 1341

The really cool part is: "shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both."

That's per each offense

Sent him 2 emails this month with zero response. We need to figure out how to get our money back. It sucks to say, but those of us with skin in this game got scammed.

You make a great point here.
Ordering the ‘flavor of the week’ knife today, might not taste the same 2 or 3 years from now.
Hope this works out for the guys that got stuck with this thief.
Joe

I am in the same boat. I am not really into custom knives as much as I used to be when I ordered this one, so that coupled with the fact that this experience has left me with a bad taste in my mouth makes me want to get rid of it when/if I get it.

Just an update, I have reached out to Chris a few times with no response. Going to now start figuring out what I need to do to get my money back. To those affected too by this, please send me a PM with some details of your order so I can see what we are working with.

Thank you

I don't think my membership level allows for private messages (At least I can't seem to find that option). I do have some information for you regarding my order though.

Try sending a visitor message.

I don't think my membership level allows for private messages (At least I can't seem to find that option). I do have some information for you regarding my order though.

Sucks to see Chris is still making promises he cant keep. I sent him an Email when i started this thread pretty much telling him i was no longer going to waste my time going back and forth and if he was ok with taking my money that was fine by me. He replayed saying he had no intention of taking my money and would build the knife. Have not heard from him sense, no attempt was ever made by him to get a hold of me after starting this thread or him trying to clear his name. At this point i haven't lost much sleep over the situation and moved on with my life. I hope people learn from my mistake. After all Chris was a stand up guy and was very active on his Instagram, i had no reason to suspect he would do the shady things he has done. Chris pretty much ruined this hobby for me and have pretty much sold all my knives except for my daily carry CRK Seb.

Latest email I sent, his reply and my reply to it...

My email:
"Chris,
Am I ever going to get the knife? It's getting close to 3 years since we made the trade/deal. I've pretty much written off what I sent to you as a loss and learned a valuable life lesson - never pay up front, never trust or deal with a maker who demands that.

At this point I've made peace with the fact that you've ripped me off for $2500 worth of trade items. I never expect to get my knife and unfortunately I can't afford to take any legal action to obtain any justice or compensation.

Maybe one day I'll receive my knife from you, maybe not. Now if I do get the knife I'd be concerned you'd half-assed it just to shut me up. Regardless, I don't think I'd keep it. I'd most likely sell it. Anyway, I'm done thinking about it and I've moved on. You should be ashamed of yourself."

His reply:
"Hey Lewis,

I’m definitely more than sorry this has taken so long but I am not ripping you off brother. I have had the worst 3 years of my life financially since moving the family back to AZ and has really backed me up. Your perception of me is wrong but I see why you would think or even chose to think that way. But that is not the case, I am not taking your $2500 and not coming through on making your knife. I would never just send you something crappy to shut you up either...that’s not me. Just hit extreme hard times so everything is slower than it was on getting orders out. I’m close to having the material needed to run the new designs and you WILL get your knife brother.

All I ask is please just give me a little more time before making that judgement and let me make it rite by you, Lewis.

I hope all is well with you and yours aside from wondering about me and your knife bud. I will get you taken care of...

Respectfully,

Chris"

My reply:
"Hey Chris,
I really appreciate the reply. However actions do speak louder than words. All I'm going to say is this, if I get the knife I ordered from you at the quality you're known for, well that would be awesome. If not, again I'm chalking it up as a life lesson learned the hard way for me. I think there's lessons for both of us to learn from all this. I'm trying to be optimistic, at this point it's up to you to show me the kind of person you say you are.

I truly hope you situation is improving, your life is improving and that your family is well. Life is not supposed to be easy, if it was it would not be worth it or as much fun. Keep on keeping on Chris. I suggest you post an update for all your customers on Instagram (I know I'm not the only one waiting on a knife), it would certainly help the situation.

Please if at all possible send me some updates too as things go. That would certainly help me feel better and go along way to changing my perception of you.

Take care..."

Maybe I'll get the knife, maybe I won't. I've moved on at this point...

Im in a similar boat here as well. :(
I did a few deals with Chris and bought a few knives that he had in stock in Jan 2015. All was good. He shipped the 4 he sent pics of and even repaired another DUB I bought. Great! We then did a nice trade where I sent him a pen and another knife to fix that I bought that was giving me issues for another knife he had. No problem. He shipped me the new knife. I shipped him the repair knife and the Fountain Pen. On Jan 28th he said he fixed the knife and its working great. Then suddenly its failed and he needs to make a new Blade. Now looking back at all the emails I should have seen it. But yeah, excuse after excuse. I sent him a around 1500 knife and nada... So many emailed excuses and offers of this knife instead, then "sorry brother. I forgot to reply to your last message. Been a madman lately", or "Damn it bro!!!! I totally spaced this. Truly apologize for dropping the ball. " Im convinced he had hoped I would just go away. He respond to all my emails until my last one in March. No radio silence. I also noticed now his site is not active anymore. So yeah...

Small update. I emailed Chris near the beginning of May 2018 and demanded a refund by the end of the month. Supposedly he is finishing up a dressy knife and will refund me using money from the sale of that knife. We shall see...

Small update. I emailed Chris near the beginning of May 2018 and demanded a refund by the end of the month. Supposedly he is finishing up a dressy knife and will refund me using money from the sale of that knife. We shall see...

I'm sorry to say man, you wont get anything. Hes not working on any knife. Dudes a habitual liar. I emailed him with radio silence.

Back