Chris Reeve Knives History Timeline To Date & Blade Steel Timeline

I've been carrying this small sebenza for 15+ years - never knew what the "P" was for.

sebenza002.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a post I dug up from 9-11-02. I think it will be at home here. Thanks Anne !

When Chris started making the one piece knives, there were a few versions prior to the Mk IV which was a 7 inch clip point with a saw back. He then introduced the Aviator, the Jereboams and then the Shadows. By 1995, we had the following:

Jereboam Mk I - 9 inch clip point with sawback
Jereboam Mk II - 9 inch clip point with no sawback
Mk IV - 7 inch clip point with sawback
Mk V - 7 inch clip point no sawback
Mk VI - 5.5 inch clip point no sawback
Aviator - 4 inch clip point with sawback
Mountaineer I - 4 inch clip point, single guard
Mountaineer II - 5.5 inch clip point, single guard
Shadow I - 9 inch spearpoint
Shadow II - 7 inch spearpoint
Shadow III - 4 inch spearpoint
Shadow IV - 5.5 inch spearpoint
Project I - 7.5 inch spearpoint (which began life as the Pachmayr Field Survivor)
Project II - 7.5 inch clip point
Sable I - 9 inch up swept blade single guard
Sable II - 7 inch up swept blade single guard
Sable III - 4 inch up swept blade single guard
Sable IV - 5.5 inch up swept blade single guard
Tanto I - 9 inch chisel point
Tanto II - 7 inch chisel point
Tanto III - 4 inch chisel point
Tanto IV - 5.5 inch chisel point
Ubejane - 4.5 inch skinner

We rearranged the whole product line during 1995, reducing to the present selection. Note: Please don't ask if we will make special orders for any of the deleted models - we won't!

As special, exclusive or limited editions, we have also done the following (the figure in brackets indicates how many we made):

9 inch dagger (25)
7 inch dagger (25)
4 inch dagger (25)
5.5 inch dagger (25)

18 inch "short sword - 1 in the shape of a Sable, 11 daggers

4 inch modified Wharncliffe style blade - all of these went to France back in early 1990 (100)

12 inch blades - I can't remember how many of which blade shapes (13)

9 inch Hog Stick (25) exclusive to RFG Distributing and looked very much like the Almar knives
7.5 inch Almar (200)
5.5 inch Almar (200)
4 inch Almar (200)

9 inch Kathathu (25)
7.5 inch Kathathu (100)
5.5 inch Kathathu (66)
4 inch Kathathu (100)

6.5 inch stylized Tanto (25) exclusive to Moskito Wholesale in Hungary

4 inch Tanto (200) exclusive to NICA stores

7.5 inch Nkonka - new in 2002

5.5 inch clip point with sawback (50) exclusive for Midwest Gun Exchange (currently available)

That's all I can think of right now other than that we have,at various times, made modifications to existing models on a one-off basis like double (or single) cross guard, serrations (or no serrations)on the cutting edge.

It is possible there are others out there - I can't think of them right now! There are not many pictures around but you can pretty well imagine what the different knives look like because we keep the blade shapes pretty standard.

Anne

Another vintage post from 8-9-2000 regarding the Chris Reeve Field Survivor ( Chris Reeve Pachmayr )

Here we go with another bit of CRK trivia...!

While in South Africa and in our very early days in the USA, we made a knife for exclusive distribution by Pachmayr which was called the Field Survivor. Karl Lippard, the former USMC instructor who gave Chris some input into the design features he considered important for a knife to be used by a Marine, worked for Pachmayr and that is how the project came together. However, in 1990, Karl left Pachmayr and the project was halted. Pachmayr gave us the okay to continue to make the same knife but under a different name. In January 1991, the Field Surivor became the Project I.

We only made 28 Field Survivors in South Africa and the majority of them were engraved with names of brass within the military or employees of Pachmayr. We made a further 63 in the USA. Each Field Survivor was engraved with the Pachmary logo.

Anne

Last edited:
*Additional Information Regarding "P" Sebenzas*

"We introduced the large Sebenza in 1990. These early Sebenzas were pretty much hand made - in so far as each handle and blade was cut out individually and profiled by hand on the grinder. They were all marked H followed by a serial number.

In mid-1991, we entered the rather scary world of computer controlled machines and bought a CNC machining center. At the time, it was a major step financially and we were not sure whether it would do what we wanted it to do! The rationale behind this was to enable us to produce more knives (and keep the cost reasonable) and to ensure that our tolerances were kept very tight. Machining on the mill ensures that the holes are in exactly the right place, the profile is exactly how we want it.

We reduced the thickness of the titanium for the handle and altered the blade shape slightly. These knives were marked P as in production to distinguish them from H as in handmade. There has been quite a bit of misrepresentation that the P stands for prototype.

The blades were then, and are still today, hand ground, even though the outline (or profile) is machined on the CNC. Two years ago, we progressed to a larger machining center and are constantly reducing our tolerances!

The "H" or "P" is engraved into the titanium handle next to our CR logo."

– Anne Reeve, 10/26/98

Last edited:
It seems like they still make Regular Sebenza's. The Annual limited edition is in the Regular model, maybe I should say was. The 2011's may not be Regular model, nothing is for sure?

Anyone hear any secrects about the 2011 Annual Limited Editions? :)

Or is it a on-going thing, making the Annual Limited Edition a Regular so it's a little more exclusive, and not like the 21s they offer at present time. If they really want to make the Annual Limited Edition more exclusive......hummmm.....any ideas?

It seems like they still make Regular Sebenza's. The Annual limited edition is in the Regular model, maybe I should say was. The 2011's may not be Regular model, nothing is for sure?

Anyone hear any secrects about the 2011 Annual Limited Editions? :)

Or is it a on-going thing, making the Annual Limited Edition a Regular so it's a little more exclusive, and not like the 21s they offer at present time. If they really want to make the Annual Limited Edition more exclusive......hummmm.....any ideas?

To the best of my knowledge, the annual limited editions will be regular version sebenzas. I remember Chris stating this, but I dont know where I saw it. That may change down the road, but is the norm for now. I always wanted a limited edition, but am always looking for just that right one. But I know me, I would rather have 2-3 crk knives, than one fancy one....lol

Here's a picture of my South African Pachmayr #12 (it does have my name engraved on the reverse side). This knife has been refinished by CRK and it's been on several military deployments over the past 25 years. This was the first custom knife I ever bought.
CR002.jpg

Here's a picture of my South African Pachmayr #12 (it does have my name engraved on the reverse side). This knife has been refinished by CRK and it's been on several military deployments over the past 25 years. This was the first custom knife I ever bought.
CR002.jpg

Beautiful Pachmayr......This is only the Second One I have ever seen. I have one, I think it was my 3rd CRK purchased. Mine is marked #17 with no name engraved.

I would like to add the pre-production P Sebenza to the timeline. It seems to fall between the H Sebenzas and the numbered P Sebenzas. The titanium slabs are hand made but have the same
thickness as a P Sebenza.

20110624_P-Sebenza_6.jpg

At the risk of being presumptuous, I felt that this list should be part of the CRK history sticky for reference by all. With the help of several of members here as well as Anne Reeve, Sigifrith and I have compiled this list of CRK Annual LE inlays. These have all been either found online by one of us, personally witnessed, or have been verified from documentation provided by CRK (thanks Anne). There may still be gaps in the list, so if anyone reading this has additional information, please contact either Sigifrith or myself.

Year Inlays Available

1999 - California Buckeye; Dyed California Buckeye; Box Elder; Dyed Maple Burl; Spalted Maple Burl

2000 - Desert Ironwood; African Blackwood; California Buckeye; Maple Burl

2001 - California Buckeye; Maple Burl; Desert Ironwood; Bocote; Curly Maple

2002 - California Buckeye; Desert Ironwood; Box Elder; Ebony

2003 - Curly Maple; Bocote; California Buckeye; Box Elder Burl; Redwood Burl; Maple Burl; Snakewood, Desert Ironwood, Spalted Maple, Walnut, Macassar Ebony, Mammoth

2004 - California Buckeye; Maple Burl; Snakewood; Ebony; Redwood Burl; Bocote; Box Elder; Desert Ironwood; Mammoth; Walnut; Spalted Maple; Curly Maple; Black Palm

2005 - Snakewood; Desert Ironwood; Amboyna; Box Elder Burl; Black Palm; Mammoth Ivory (Bark); Redwood, California Buckeye, Black Ash, Walnut, Thuya; Spalted Maple

2006 - Redwood Burl; California Buckeye; Snakewood; Box Elder Burl; Maka; Spalted Maple, Black Ash; Mammoth Ivory (Bark), Mammoth Ivory (Interior); Walnut, Amboyna

2007 - Black Palm; American Plane; Amboyna; Walnut; Mammoth Ivory (Bark); California Buckeye, Box Elder, Thuya, Snakewood, Redwood, Spalted Maple

2008 - Bubinga; Satinwood; Mammoth Ivory (Interior)

2009 - Thuya; Box Elder Burl

2010 - Spalted Maple; Camphor

2011 - Wenge (with 18K Gold and Silver accents)

Last edited:
DallasSTB.........Thanks for the added information. I am sure it will be greatly appreciated by all members and fellow CRK owners. Feel free to add additional info.

Early in the Jereboam's life there was a short run of 11" blades all with serrations. I am unsure of how many were made but it was probably less than 10.
They were all sold in SA and to my knowledge Chris never repeated them.

Question

When did the Sebenza's start getting the date code on the inside of the handle slabs?

Last edited:
Thank you for the history. It answers many questions about a great maker and his knives. Not sure what "sticky" means; perhaps someone would let me know.

Sticky is just basically a reference to frequently asked questions or info that keeps it at the top so your answers are easy to find. Think Post-It Notes. When I put the timeline together, I asked if it could be made a sticky for all to see and use. I do update it as new info presents itself. As you look through it, you will see that other great forum members added info as well that is a value to all. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing!

But what about the Insingo model and switching to S35VN steel?

Back