Clients and Makers and Deposits, Oh My!

Well, I've asked for pictures a couple more times and still nothing. The maker is still posting new work to social media, so he's definitely working. I guess he just hasn't started mine yet after having had my 50% deposit for 2 months.

@timos- I never wanted to take deposits. I've had a couple buyers argue that really wanted to, so I acquiesced because I didn't want to spurn them. Now I let anyone know up front that I don't, period, and it hasn't been a problem. As far as delivery dates, I don't have a backlog like the more established and popular makers, so I do try to give an idea of when I could start a project because worst case we're talking months, not years, then communicate progress as I work on it.

As for materials on hand, well, I just decided I wanted to have a good supply. And the first 40 or 50 knives I sold went directly into more materials. It was more to satisfy my desire to have just about anything I wanted to use when inspiration struck, than to have a selection for customers to pick from, because like Matt said above, that's my main driver to do this. Make things I'm passionate about making.

Most of my customers will tell me generally, like "figured walnut" or "some kind of burl" but only a very few have so far wanted to pick the exact piece.

My best customer is a guy I worked for when I was in high school on his Christmas Tree farm. He was in forestry many years and he loves coming over and digging through my cabinet for each particular project. Most other people tend to glaze over and want me to pick for them it seems.

I probably don't need to keep posting about an ongoing personal order issue in this thread, but:

So I've asked a couple more times how this knife is coming along and still haven't gotten pictures. He's posting finished knives for sale that apparently were not orders in front of mine.

I really don't want to be overbearing but I feel this is becoming an issue.

My perspective is that an up front deposit is a scam. You pay money for a "place in line?" That's BS. The maker asking for a deposit has a cash flow problem and he's trying to get his customers to help out. My house painter doesn't ask for a deposit to "save a place" in line for my painting job.

If your ask for money to make sure the buyer is "serious" that doesn't make sense. Does that mean your work can't be sold on its own? Confirm the sale before you start the knife, that should be enough to identify if the customer still wants the knife. If the piece is unique and unsalable outside of the person commissioning it, then you shouldn't ask for any money until you start the job or maybe you shouldn't take such a weird commission. It could hurt your reputation if it's too far gone :)

Remember, your customers are often slick businessmen. They often want to give you a deposit so they get leverage on the knifemaker. It's a common business practice when the person asking for the work has considerable resources and the provider is small, busy and popular. The next step up from the deposit is to offer a premium over the price being charged for "expedited" delivery.

If you do take money up front, are your business records clear enough and family informed so your heirs can refund the money upon your accidental death?

Back