Cody Lundin Knife?

I'm not a real fan of Cody Lundin for two reasons: his insisting to wear shorts and go barefoot. The only reason the primitive tribes go barefoot is because they didn't have the technology & materials to make good boots... IMHO.

I do like his bushcraft skills. That's why I was wondering what knife he used.

I don't understand why people get hung up on this to the point where you wouldn't like him for it. Even Cody will tell you it's not for everyone or even most people. Why do I care if he doesn't wear shoes? As to the shorts, that's nothing new. Ever see a ups driver? A lot of them are in shorts year round.

Going barefoot isn't a very smart survival tactic. It is a gimmick. Evidently it works.

Sort of cool he's selling a cheap mora on his site instead of some sort of pimped out signature blade.

Agreed..will be most impressive if it stays that way..I'm sure he's being approached by multiple vendors to get his name on something.
Not that I have a problem with him commissioning a blade design by any means, as am sure it would be something worth taking a look at..but will be interesting if the Mora remains his fave.

I don't understand why people get hung up on this to the point where you wouldn't like him for it. Even Cody will tell you it's not for everyone or even most people. Why do I care if he doesn't wear shoes? As to the shorts, that's nothing new. Ever see a ups driver? A lot of them are in shorts year round.

I worked for FedEx before I became a Union Ironworker. I NEVER wore the shorts. LOL. I never said I didn't like him, I just think he's nuts for choosing to do survival treks/shows barefoot and wearing short pants.

Why is it such a big deal what he wears? We have a hardware store across the road from me and the owner works outside in shorts even in cold weather. He's a big guy, athletic, the family gets outdoors a lot. It's not a gimmick when it's a way of life.

I go barefoot more than most people I know and on surfaces that most find uncomfortable. My wife calls me a hillbilly when I do.

It's no gimmick for me. It's more or less a too lazy to put my shoes on thing. :p

Great commitment for him to keep up a gimmick for 30 years though.

Lol! It gets stretched with the telling. He is only 45. He claims 20 years. What the heck, let's make it fifty. He says he is training his mytochindria to be cold tolerant like the inuits. Nevermind it took them thousands of years and they still wear insulated boots. I really don't care what he wears or doesn't wear. Except that he presents himself as an expert on outdoor survival yet ignores the need to protect his feet in some harsh environments. Walk barefooted through sharp rocks and lava stone, cactus spines and acacia thorns? Barefoot in snow and ice? Yeah, it is a gimmick.

I don't even go barefoot around my own house, I'm just weird that way. I don't believe it is a gimmick for him since he did that long before he was in the press. I think he is one of the great modern day wilderness instructors though. I know a couple people who have taken his courses and they comment on how knowledgable he is while remaining humorous and down to earth. He is an expert in the field, but does not act like a pompous ass. He also doesn't plaster his name all over merchandise and fancy gear and shill it to people, even though he easily could. That speaks volumes regardless of his clothing choices.

... I know a couple people who have taken his courses and they comment on how knowledgable he is while remaining humorous and down to earth. He is an expert in the field, but does not act like a pompous ass.

He pockets $4,740 for a 24 hour course for twelve people. $395 to spend the night outside sitting by a campfire...pomposity indeed.

how knowledgable he is while remaining humorous and down to earth. He is an expert in the field, but does not act like a pompous ass. He also doesn't plaster his name all over merchandise and fancy gear and shill it to people, even though he easily could. That speaks volumes regardless of his clothing choices.

^+1:thumbup:

He pockets $4,740 for a 24 hour course for twelve people. $395 to spend the night outside sitting by a campfire...pomposity indeed.

so, how much is his expertise worth?

Hmm $400 to DIY by a campfire? I think there is a bit more to it than that.

Hmm $400 to DIY by a campfire? I think there is a bit more to it than that.

Light My Fire!

(Class limit: 12 Students)
April 20-21, 2013
Tuition: $395

Experience a comprehensive immersion into the most alluring of the four elements...fire! A tool that has shaped civilizationfor millennia, its understanding has all but beenlosttomodern society. In this two day course students will regain their primal power by exploring modern fire lighting techniques essential for survival scenarios, as well as primitive fire making technologies fostering a greater awareness of how ourancestors did more with less.Unique to ALSS courses,LightMy Fire is based “outdoors” yet is not an overnightcamping course unless you wish to camp.

Any other questions?

Lol, nah you can keep your opinions on the guy. It's not my job to sell him to you.

I don't know if he is pompous or gimmicky.
I don't care if he walks barefoot or wear shorts. To clarify I do not walk barefoot nor do I wear shorts year around even in a tropical environment, were I happen to live in.
But I would love to take one of his classes....!!! oh man, one more thing from when I win the lottery.

Just saying.

It's not my job to sell him to you.

You know what they say about a fool and his money....

Ironic that the same skills can be learned by purchasing a $5 book and sitting in your backyard, isn't it? Yet he pockets $4,740 to 'teach' twelve people how to make a fire? PT Barnum was right.

But that's like saying I can look at a medical book and learn to do surgery. Making fire from sticks or learning what plants can kill you or not take more than reading about in books. Some folks are lucky enough to grow up learning skills from their dad or grandpa, but sadly most people nowadays don't have that opportunity. I get your point, but there's something to said for paying someone who is an expert at something to teach you skills.

Back