Coffee

Copa Vida, Pasadena

Beans: Congo, Ethiopia. Brand new Home Roast not yet released in whole bean to the public.
Taste: Sweet, narrow spectrum, with a slightly bitter finish. 4.0

Pasadena Knife Show

Winner of the Best Tactical Knife Award: Ray Laconico and Mike Vagnino collaberation, called the "Lancer."

Mike Vagnino

Ray Laconico, Lancer, Bear Tanto

Eugene Solomik, Olamic Cutlery
Wayfarer

Fixed

More pics later.

I have heard some good things about Kaldis coffee. I hope it isn't roasted too light for you. Looking forward to your review.
That Remington looks like a lot of fun!

I think "Dangerous Grounds," has finished filming and the show is waiting for the Travel channel to release them when they can fit them in their schedule.

I don't shoot it much, but when I break it out at the range it magical! :D

I made some of the Kaldi's this morning. The blend I got was their classic. Pretty robust for a coffee house blend. It seemed like the longer it sat after brewing- the better it got. Not as over roasted as most St.L coffee.

Intelligentsia, Pasadena. Busy with rude baristas. I keep coming back thinking things will improve but they dont. :grumpy:
http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/product/coffee/ljulu-lipati-zambia
Beans: Ljulu Lipata, Zambia
Producer: Willem and Jesper Lublinkhof
Farm: Mubuyu Estate, Munali Coffee
Region: Mazabuka District
Elevation: 1100 - 1200 m
Harvest: June - August
Cultivar: SL-28
Notes: "Lemongrass, pineapple, and breakfast tea, cradled by a supple mouthfeel and juicy sweetness."
Taste: Bitter, small flavor spectrum, with a bitter chocolate finish. 3.0

Sorry for the poor cell phone pics. They do not show how amazing all of these blades were.

Award Winners:
Rich Hale, Best Damascus Knife

Best Bowie

Best Utility/Hunter

Best Folder

Dawson Knives, Best Sword

Copa Vida, Nitro Cold Brew. http://www.copa-vida.com/#
Beans: Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Dumerso by Ritual Coffee.
Steeped for an average of 14 hours. Two shots of espresso are shaken with ice until a thin slush forms and then sweetened with agave syrup.
The tap is pressurized with nitrogen, ensuring freshness and a thicker mouthfeel.

Last edited:
PrimitiveEnergy, I'm traveling to SoCal for the first time later this month: LA, Pasadena, Claremont, San Diego. Sounds like you would recommend Copa Vida over Intelligentsia. I appreciate the reviews! :thumbup:

PrimitiveEnergy, I'm traveling to SoCal for the first time later this month: LA, Pasadena, Claremont, San Diego. Sounds like you would recommend Copa Vida over Intelligentsia. I appreciate the reviews! :thumbup:

LA, Pasadena/Glendale, Orange County/Costa Mesa, and San Diego all have numerous famous cafes.

Inelligentsia started the specialty coffee scene in LA which is probably why they are the busiest cafes in LA but I have yet to have a decent drink or good customer service from their over worked looking baristas at all 3 of their cafes. They have been hiding information about their beans and they have been selling in Target with stale out of roast dates. People have been complaining they are trying too hard to become the next *$$ and thus has had diminished quality. Copa Vida is one of the most respected cafes in LA/county.

Here is a convenient map of most of the specialty cafes in LA. A few places have opened since this was posted in January. http://la.eater.com/maps/los-angeles-great-coffee-guide-map-photos

I must warn you if you are not used to the 3rd wave of Specialty cafes that new drinkers might find them sour and be put off. If that is the case then you should tell your barista that you don't like the light and sour and that you want something darker and more roasty. Have Fun!:)

If you want to go to the best places for custom knives in LA/County you should check out Recon 1, 19425 Ventura Blvd, Tarzana, 91356. http://www.recon1.com/shop/ and also Plaza Cutlery, 3333 S. Bristol Street, South Coast Plaza, Suite #2060, Costa Mesa, 92626. http://www.plazacutlery.com/home.aspx

Ray Laconico Fossa and Copa Vida, 49th Parallel Epic espresso blend.
Sweet, mellow, with a slightly bitter finish. 4.0

Dawson knives

Mel Watanabe

Koster

Reva Forge

Sorry again for the poor cell phone pics.:(

I'm surprise California lets you guys buy knives. :D

Great report P.E. Those Dawson knives look nice!

PrimitiveEnergy, thanks for your report on the Pasadena show, and all the recommendations for SoCal. That's going to save me a lot of time!

Monofletch, I haven't checked the California laws lately, but my memory is that the local and city ordinances are more restrictive than state laws. Some towns have laws on the books against any sort of knife carry or require you to get a permit to carry! Many towns forbid fixed blade carry. But if you never have a run-in with the police, and avoid places where you will be searched (like courthouses) then you don't have to worry about such rules. And of course, most of California is pretty reasonable. Get away from the coast and the college towns and there are few restrictions.

Here it is OPEN carry. No knife restrictions and we still have rednecks with gun racks in the back windows! :D I feel sorry for the anti gun states.

I just moved to NorCal from Washington (state) in 2014. I was surprised at how many towns have anti-knife laws.

Ray Laconico and 49th Parallel, Epic espresso.

Kevin Foster

JB knives. 1st and 2nd flipper design.

Sako, owner of Recon 1 always BRINGS IT with all of his grails for sale. He even brought the legendary Tom Mayo from Hawaii. I was fortunate to have lunch with awesome knife makers Tom Mayo, Ray Laconico, Kevin Foster, Neal Peskin, Nicebigcupof, and several forum members.

Unreleased .22 caliber knife. They turned it into submission for the military but was declined.

Emerson

ProTech

Buck Collectors (not all of their display)

Al Mar

Randy Lee

Taylor Knives

?

I got a pile of knives in....waiting to buy more coffee to post pics! :D

Sehawks signed TE Grahm from the Saints...... look out! :thumbup:

Rams sign DT Nick Fairley, QB Nick Foles, and, ILB Akeem Ayers. Now if they can get a decent WR......... The DEFENSE is set!

After that EPIC post P.E. kind of fell off. I will be posting pics soon. I've got beans and blades......

Stopped at a Peete's Coffee Shop this morning, when I got to talking to the employees quickly found they know nothing about coffee. WTH? You guys have given me just enough knowledge to be dangerous. They didn't even know what third wave coffee is. Jeesh!

Stopped at a Peete's Coffee Shop this morning, when I got to talking to the employees quickly found they know nothing about coffee. WTH? You guys have given me just enough knowledge to be dangerous. They didn't even know what third wave coffee is. Jeesh!

Typical minimum wage +tips employee. Probably has a half a day training before tying on the apron. :rolleyes:

Just got a 'Blade and Beans' care package in the mail today. :D
Thank you. ;)

Did some swapping and got a nice new Brous Bionic.
I dig it.
Small, light, and razor sharp. It's replacing my Native 5 LW for an EDC. Just .15 oz heavier than the Native 5 but without the choil it has significantly more blade. I'm pretty sure this one's a keeper. :thumbup:

Now for the beans.
Mississippi Mud espresso and Sumatra.
I tried the espresso today and it makes a nice creamy brew. Big unsweetened dark chocolate and citrus peel with a lot of crema. Delicious with a little bitterness on the back end but has a great room filling aroma. Love that smell.
I received a package from Jerry Fisk yesterday. I post up my thoughts on that and the Sumatra tomorrow.

0q14YKp.jpg

M5SS8FO.jpg

Back