Coldsteel Sold???

I understand that people have to secure their own financial future in regard to selling their shares and or ownership but I'd hate for this brand to go the low budget route.
More often than not the well known or dare I say legendary brands never live up to past glory.

If this is the end of the company as we've known it I'll damn sure miss their products.
I was really looking forward to future drop forged models.
I have to commend Mr. Thompson on his history of selling non-pc knives and self-defense weapons.
I purchased my first Cold Steel knife in the early 80's and have not gone a single year since without buying new or existing pieces.
I honestly couldn't estimate how many Cold Steel items I currently own or have owned at one time or the other.

I hope everyone involved lands on their feet doing well. Lots of good folks I'm sure.

I'd guess they have rights to produce the Triad lock for some time.

Will it be from the same materials...?

On the Knifejunkie podcast Demko said Cold Steel owed the patent on the Triad he just got royalties. So there is that going for them. Just have to hope for decent materials and workmanship. Not exactly holding my breath.

Gerber actually rebounded some in my opinion.
The Prodigy and Strongarm are tough and have great sheaths to boot.
They aren't done in super steels but they work.

I steer clear of some of their import models but have had good performance from the ones I own.
To each his own.

Gerber actually rebounded some in my opinion.
The Prodigy and Strongarm are tough and have great sheaths to boot.
They aren't done in super steels but they work.

I steer clear of some of their import models but have had good performance from the ones I own.
To each his own.

I just looked up those two Gerber models and they don't look bad at all.

If their 420HC is heat treated in a similar fashion to Buck, they should be decent.

According to the warranty, the one year limited warranty is ONLY good for the original purchaser IF: 1. CS determines it is a manufacturing defect that caused the issue 2. the knife was purchased from an authorized Cold Steel retailer -and- 3. the original purchaser can produce the ORIGINAL RECEIPT from the authorized retailer. Not a picture of the receipt or a photocopy.

That right there tells the whole story...going from a lifetime no-questions-asked to one year limited original purchaser only is HUGE:(

Cold Steel will likely go the way of Camillus or Gerber.

Oh well. Spyderco is still around.
Yes and the owner Sal comes onto the Spyderco Forum quite often, even asks for opinions on changes/upcoming product. I thought Lynn would keep CS forever. I wonder if Covid had anything to do with it or has he been planning for a while.
So the pre-Texas Models will command a premium in the future??
I wonder if their Mod here got laid off?
GMS look for cheaper manufactures of the CS Products?
Lots of questions here.

Last edited:
That’s what I’m thinking. Remember when the knives were great quality and made in Japan or the US? That was their glory days, and they haven’t been there for a long, loooong time.

This may just be the final nail in a pine box that’s been slowly closing for years. Downgraded steel choices, tons more budget offerings, spotty QC problems, outsourced overseas manufacturing, and sheaths that are total condoms (to put it nicely) have all been leading down to this.

I sure hope Lynn got a big golden parachute out of this. I really do. He deserves it as hard as he’s worked and for his contributions to our little corner of the hobby.
I agree with the cons of the super budget offerings, steel downgrades, and subpar sheaths.

Wow, triple post, but screw it, it deserves to said three times. Another crappy occurrence for 2020. Cold Steel was always the go to for budget quality. I fear that will go the way of the dodo.
True, the $99 Recon 1 folder still rocks. I’ll be keeping it in my toolbox and EDC rotation.

I suspected this when I saw the 2020 lineup.

This really is a bummer. No one else comes close to making knives like Cold Steel. I wish Mr Thompson and all the Cold Steel staff nothing but the best. And now it is time to buy what I can before it is gone forever.

Back