Coming this Spring - KA-BAR Becker BK40 Folder

Id expect a becker folder to be kabars equivalent to ontarios rat 1. We can only wish for taiwan d2 which isnt out of kabars aptitude.

I think, like other companies, kabar has obligations that require them to have a certain amount of products produced in china. Shame ethans design have to be the sacrificial lambs.

Dear Kabar,

I know we live in crazy times and that virus is damaging the whole world, and I know you are doing your best!

I have (sometimes multiple) the BK11+14+16+17+2+7+9 and all have an inherent value to me and live up to Ethan’s promise, that they work for a living.
These were not expensive compared to other knives; however, they are amazing tools that get used regularly and I trust those blades 100%.

The BK40 has very nice design features, but seeing it made in China is quite a downer.

Coming from Germany the BK40 is unfortunately not a legal EDC here (one hand locking knife), so the usage would be restricted to using it at home and when going on a hike.
Unfortunately I am not convinced that it will live up to the Becker Name and would rather pay more money for a US made product.
I don’t have the money for cheap knives – I do have the money for knives that are worth it.

If there is a way - make it in the US - even when it will be more expensive - you will find that your customers will appreciate it very much.

It’s great to see another Becker coming out.

Did Ethan design this?

I’ll be grabbing one to give it a whirl.

I like how the scales are reminiscent of the tweener scales. Blade profile and 4 way deep carry wire clip is cool too.

I hope it is in similar quality to the Taiwan made models. Made in US with 14c28n would be the cat’s meow.

I'm betting "they" are relying on His name.....Seems like they might be pushing Him out lately....idk?

I agree with what ALL of you are thinking and saying.
Taiwan is worlds away from the CCP.....Sad day.

I'm surprised Ka-Bar didn't call it BK46.....ugh

Easy decision for Me......Really wanted a new Becker this year.

Last edited:
It’s surely the sense I’m getting too. Hope Ethan is good.

I would love to see a nice Becker this year. Maybe a big chopper, I’d love a Becker cleaver.

I'm betting "they" are relying on His name.....Seems like they might be pushing Him out lately....idk?

I agree with what ALL of you are thinking and saying.
Taiwan is worlds away from the CCP.....Ugh, sad day.

I'm surprised Ka-Bar didn't call it BK46.....ugh

Easy decision for Me......Really wanted a new Becker this year.

We all like Becker knives or we wouldn't be here. Most of us have purchased a bunch of Ethan's reasonably priced, American made tools that last for generations. Neither the steel choice nor the locking mechanism seem up to Becker standards but I could get past both.

Made in China though? Does anyone here not know of someone impacted by the Corona virus? It may be unrealistic to totally avoid doing business with that country but it will be a cold day in hell before I knowingly purchase a China made Becker. Becker is better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really excited to read the title, but the more I read, the more I wished I hadn't. This stings quite a bit knowing Kabar has decided to make these in China!

Kabar needs to understand that a HUGE part of their brand value to loyal customers is that most are American made. When the loyalists of the Kabar brand think about its products--it's not just the steel that comes to mind, it's the history. It's about the tens of thousands of knives you've produced for American Service Men, and hard working civilians over several generations. Your brand speaks to the American patriot--your quality is representative of the grit of the American laborer and soldier.

In a time where companies all over the world are selling out its workforce to China, America needs companies like Kabar to keep its production in the good ol' USA. Damnit--Know that we are willing to pay more for an American made knife.

And now.... now with all of the current issues caused by the CCP globally, Kabar decided to reward them for this nonsense.

I, and most here, won't reward you for your production decision.

Beckerhead #32

A slab sided folder shaped like the tweener handle? No contouring? Why not? Ergos are one of the main things that set Becker’s apart from the rest.

Ontario and Esee do well with budget folders so I guess Kabar wants a slice of that pie. I do not. Don’t worry, I will not be harassing customer service.

I have a lot more to say but I feel it may be best to keep it to myself. Just think of what this could have been? :( Gonna be a pass for me.

No problem with Aus8, it's reasonably tough and also easy to sharpen. Sure Sandvik 14c28n or Aebl would be great, but Aus8 is good to go.

Sorry, not interested! My excitement was short lived. I think it was said in years past that we weren't going to get a broken Becker. Now we have this release and it's not even announced by Ethan himself. I have no interest in knives made of aus8. I'd rather have edge holding over ease of sharpening any day especially in a folder.

No problem with Aus8, it's reasonably tough and also easy to sharpen. Sure Sandvik 14c28n or Aebl would be great, but Aus8 is good to go.

Aus8 is fine, but if it's a Becker I would expect 1095Cro-Van. BTW, is it really Aus8 or some mystery Chinese equivalent?

n2s

Back