Comments about Bushcrafter Knife Contest Review

kgd

I asked Tonym's permission to start up a thread here to give forumites a chance to comment, gossip and question the manhood of the reviewers engaged in the W&SS Bushcraft Knife Contest thread. I thought this would be a more appropriate place to put up the thread given the topic area.

Anyhow, the Gossman review is the first one up and we have opinions by Marcelo, Big Mike and Tonym posted. I think they did a great job with their comments so far, included some excellent pictures and general user commentaries. I really like the fact that they don't necessarily repeat the same things and are honest in their opinions.

As for that Gossman - I just liked the look of that leaf shaped blade the moment I saw it and have to agree with Tonym's perspective that it looks like the right amount of curves to the handle to make things comfortable.

Great job so far!

Why did they close that post???

We want all the reviews up before we open it to comments. We feel that a bunch of comments inbetween will be a distraction. Also if anyone has questions, they will probably go unseen if stuck inbetween review posts.

We want all the reviews up before we open it to comments. We feel that a bunch of comments inbetween will be a distraction. Also if anyone has questions, they will probably go unseen if stuck inbetween review posts.

That makes a lot of sense to me. HOOWEE....Another review up. I'm going to crack open a bottle a cherish them as they come in!!!

I love how Marcelo calls out to his younger daughter to "BRING HIM a half pint" while reviewing. Talk about domestic bliss! I imagine once she gets a little older and stronger, she will be able to bring him a Full Pint :D :D

The point on the AA forge didn't look like a problem for drilling to me. I guess it all depends on what you are drilling and how hard the material is. Personally, I like the aesthetics of an aggressive point on my knife, but have in practice found that even rounded points will drill through softwood like poplar/cottonwood (mainly in setting up a bowdrill) without any difficulties. In fact, those softer curving points sometimes make divots a lot easier as you don't have to angle the blade down for a wider/shallow divot as you have to do with an aggressive spear point.

Tonym's pics of the bevel do suggest a very aggressive bevel transition. This one might benefit from a convex conversion! Still, there are folks around here who are very pre-occupied with edge robustness and they might like it as is.

I just want to comment again on what a great idea these maker contests are. It's amazing the talent that these folks have and the courage they have to put their work in for scrutiny like this. It's also a testament to the fairness and quality of the reviewers that they would be trusted to do this and have actually pulled it all together. You guys rock.

Many thanks to the originator of the idea, the makers, and the testers! :D :thumbup:

The point on the AA forge didn't look like a problem for drilling to me.

Tonym's pics of the bevel do suggest a very aggressive bevel transition. This one might benefit from a convex conversion! Still, there are folks around here who are very pre-occupied with edge robustness and they might like it as is.

The point wasn't terrible at all, you just had to angle it the right way to get the bevel to dig into the wood. However, in comparison to some other knives it wasn't a great driller.

I agree, I am willing many makers feel more confident about putting out a thick edge due to the knuckleheads out there using their knives as prybars and chisels.. You can always remove metal from a thick edge, but you can't add metal on an edge that's too thin...

Seems like a universal thumbs up on the Fiddleback. Probably not too many surprises there! Good job Andy.

I'm sorry. I posted before the thread was done. Sorry :eek: It smart to lock it. Like you said, comments will get lost.

I also want to thank "'The Game" for the idea of this challenge. We would have loved to have you join us here for the testing!

No need to thank me, but thanks for the thanks :thumbup:

As I was reading this last night I was thinking about how I haven't bought a knife in 3 months.. I don't see that lasting much longer. The Turley knife handle also looked quite odd at first, but after reading I guess looks don't mean everything. (At least on a knife)

I really like the look of the handle on the Gossman.. The colors are really nice.

What, did our reviewers take a sandwhich break or something???

While we are awaiting the next review to post, lets all take a moment to carefully ponder the words of Marcelo:

..... My only issue with this one is the exposed butt. This is just a matter of taste maybe but I sometimes like to nest the butt In the heel of my hand when drilling

uhm......She's on top right???

Some serious drool worthy knives. I saved a lot of the pics to my desktop "knife pr0n" folder :D

Reading these reviews makes me want a new knife really badly. The craftmanship shown makes me drool. I think that was all part of the plan! By the time you finish posting all the reviews, I'll be all out of money! :D

Thanks to the testers. And thanks for the props Tony. I know this had to be difficult to do. Just the pics alone take a lot of time.

I'm very happy with how my knife did. I'm even more happy that a knife from only my second batch did that well. :D Oh lawd, my head is swelling!!! LOL. I'm ready to have that sucker back. I miss my Delta.

Thanks again to all the guys who put this together and tested our knives for us, and also thanks to all the other testers who submitted knives. ...except Andy. His knives suck. :p This was a great thing and I'm just happy I was a part of it. Looking forward to the rest of the reviews. ...except the one for Rick's knife. His knives suck too. :p

Just caught the t-snakes 2nd video on the bushcraft knives on youtube. He gave a lot of hints at whats to come! Man, Tony spent so much on knives this past month he can't afford to buy decent lightbulbs!

I'm very happy with how my knife did. I'm even more happy that a knife from only my second batch did that well. :D Oh lawd, my head is swelling!!! LOL. I'm ready to have that sucker back. I miss my Delta.

p

We will let your head swell a bit bro, you deserve it.:thumbup:

By the way, according to USPS, your knife was delivered to you today. :thumbup:

Service Type: Priority Mail Delivery Confirmation with Insurance <= $200

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Delivered ALPHARETTA GA 30009 03/10/11 12:17pm

Out for Delivery ALPHARETTA GA 30009 03/10/11 8:50am

Just caught the t-snakes 2nd video on the bushcraft knives on youtube. He gave a lot of hints at whats to come! Man, Tony spent so much on knives this past month he can't afford to buy decent lightbulbs!

Marcelo won't tell me who won. Whatadik:mad:

Sorry about my poe lighting:eek:

Back