Comparison: The Umnumzaan vs. The SnG vs. The XM-18

My order would go:
1) Umnumzaan
2) XM-18
3) SnG

Now I don't own an SnG, but I kind of lost my desire for one given that I'll have pretty shoddy F&F for a $400 some knife. Still, my ranking is more or less due to its ability to cut thick material like 4 wall cardboard, so obviously the hollow ground Umnumzaan gets ranked higher until the dealers start selling slicer ground XM-18's for less than $700.

Respectfully, I don't see how you could rank these if you don't own them. Much less assert that one has "shoddy" f&f.

The reviewer bought all three and he concluded they are all worth his hard-earned dollars.

This review has caused quite the controversy in other places. at least you didnt post this in the hinderer or chris reeve forum.

Respectfully, I don't see how you could rank these if you don't own them. Much less assert that one has "shoddy" f&f.

The reviewer bought all three and he concluded they are all worth his hard-earned dollars.
It's mostly an assertion from other people who reviewed the other Strider folders, as well as an admission from the folks at Strider that F&F is not the focus of their products(pretty sure it was from a thread around here referring to another thread on the greener forums, don't ask me to dig it up though), as well as various dealers who told me as much when I inquired about one of the folders about its fit and finish.

Not saying Strider is incapable of putting out outstanding f&f if their new SJ-75 knife is any example. Just saying they don't go that extra mile for all their models.

"Worth it" is subjective depending on what you want in a knife. For me, I expect exceptional smoothness and high tolerances when dishing out $350+ for a knife.

I have 2 SMF's from 2012 and the F&F is good on both. I've heard a lot on negative stuff about Strider, I love mine they are my favorite knife for now. I want an XM, but $900 is too much for me, maybe someday but I would rather get a Strider right now.

F and f on my sng was perfect, only traded it away cause whenever i wanted a stout folder i would grab the xm

After hearing for SO long that Strider folders lack the quality fit and finish that we've come to expect from CRK or even a couple of the better production knife companies like KAI/ZT or Spyderco I was rather surprised when my new SMF arrived. I ordered one with both the blade and titanium with a stonewashed finish and it looks great, the blade is perfectly centered and everything is lined up perfectly. The SMF had no scratches (I had heard scratches were common on new Striders) and the blade opens and closes extremely smooth on its pair of big bronze washers (possibly set just a bit tight from the factory) and the lockup is rock solid with their new linear cut blade tang. The sound of the lockbar engaging happens with a loud whack that can't help but instill confidence and the blade itself is as thick as several of my fixed blades so I have little doubt that it'll handle any folding knife related chore I throw at it.

I'm not saying that a Strider SMF is the right folder for everyone (my EDC rotation still includes the ZT 0560 and the A.G.Russell Acies I) but I'd heard and read (for what ever that's worth) that Strider had stepped up its game since they changed their lockup and after seeing and USING one I believe it and would recommend them to any of my friends.

After hearing for SO long that Strider folders lack the quality fit and finish that we've come to expect from CRK or even a couple of the better production knife companies like KAI/ZT or Spyderco I was rather surprised when my new SMF arrived. I ordered one with both the blade and titanium with a stonewashed finish and it looks great, the blade is perfectly centered and everything is lined up perfectly. The SMF had no scratches (I had heard scratches were common on new Striders) and the blade opens and closes extremely smooth on its pair of big bronze washers (possibly set just a bit tight from the factory) and the lockup is rock solid with their new linear cut blade tang. The sound of the lockbar engaging happens with a loud whack that can't help but instill confidence and the blade itself is as thick as several of my fixed blades so I have little doubt that it'll handle any folding knife related chore I throw at it.

I'm not saying that a Strider SMF is the right folder for everyone (my EDC rotation still includes the ZT 0560 and the A.G.Russell Acies I) but I'd heard and read (for what ever that's worth) that Strider had stepped up its game since they changed their lockup and after seeing and USING one I believe it and would recommend them to any of my friends.
Interesting, I was under the impression that only the SJ-75 had the linear cut lock interface. I might reconsider getting an SmF if this step up is here to stay, though I might still have to wait a bit for dealers to carry the newer generation folders.

I've heard the term "Generation 7" used on the new SMF's (I assume SnG's as well) regarding the new linear cut blade tang and on another forum I'm told that Strider said that the changes have taken place since the release of the SJ-75. I know that then online dealer that I bought the SMF from knew of the changes and and told me which of the knives he had in stock had the radius cut tang and which had the new linear cut blade tang.

I've seen reviews on YouTube from guys that own several Strider's that say that the newer versions not only have the new lockup but better fit and finish too. I know that some Strider owners hate when F&F is brought up yet if you're paying that much for a knife it certainly doesn't hurt to have it "look" great as well as work great. I was really surprised at how nice mine was...I guess I expected a bit of that rough around the edges type thing but it's an all out tank AND looks perfect.

I'm very impressed...as you should be for the money (IMO). You should check them out...the new versions are out there in stock right now.

Last edited:
This review has caused quite the controversy in other places. at least you didnt post this in the hinderer or chris reeve forum.

Yes it did, and I'm at a loss as to explain why. Mick Strider profanely insulted me, and Rob Orlando (Hinderer rep) called me a troll.
The community responses ranged from positive/supportive to threats of violence.

I didn't say anything particularly bad about any of the knives or their manufacturers in my review and had plenty of nice things to say (particularly in the stand alone reviews I did on each model). But I was banned from one toxic green site for having posted the review.

All three are very nice knives and the reviews seemed fair...not sure why anyone would be upset over them.

All three are very nice knives and the reviews seemed fair...not sure why anyone would be upset over them.

The Strider sycophants seem particularly sensitive to any suggestion that any Strider knife isn't the greatest knife ever made.

In the case of Hinderer, I'm fairly certain it was Rob Orlando who had had me banned from that particular forum - the forum owned bowed to the paid advertiser. I certainly didn't violate any rules and bent over backwards to be polite in my replies in the review thread. Even here on BF in the Hinderer forum, Orlando was permitted to call me a "troll" simply because I expressed the wish that Hinderer currently offered the same sort of refurbishment services which CRK offers. Apparently paid advertisers can define the rules in their own forums.

There was certainly no call for the treatment which I received and my respect for Hinderer has plummeted. Great knives to be sure but the company could use, among other things, some PR people who can take constructive criticism without taking it personally and flying off the handle. Making a great product will only get you so far - you have to know how to treat people too.

Last edited:
The Strider sycophants seem particularly sensitive to any suggestion that any Strider knife isn't the greatest knife ever made.

In the case of Hinderer, I'm fairly certain it was Rob Orlando who had had me banned from that particular forum - the forum owned bowed to the paid advertiser. I certainly didn't violate any rules and bent over backwards to be polite in my replies in the review thread. Even here on BF in the Hinderer forum, Orlando was permitted to call me a "troll" simply because I expressed the wish that Hinderer currently offered the same sort of refurbishment services which CRK offers. Apparently paid advertisers can define the rules in their own forums.

There was certainly no call for the treatment which I received and my respect for Hinderer has plummeted. Great knives to be sure but the company could use, among other things, some PR people who can take constructive criticism without taking it personally and flying off the handle. Making a great product will only get you so far - you have to know how to treat people too.

That's a shame, I didn't read any of these posts so I'll have take your word that this is how it went down. I read the comparison review and thought is was fair...it didn't seem as though anything bad was said about any of the three knives and people should understand that its an opinion. I'm sure that we'd all have our favorite out of that group of three but that doesn't mean that the others are garbage or not just as good, they're simply different.

There are certainly "fans" of several brands BUT the owners and management of these companies should invite input and ALWAYS strive to do better...that goes for any company that manufactures a product. Nobody wants their product criticized and I'm certain that (especially on forums like these) some criticism IS a bit unfair but take it in stride (as hard as that may be to do at times) and do the best you can and customers will follow.

I've heard criticism here and in video reviews about Strider and how they don't care as much about the F&F of their folders yet mine arrived perfect even through my OCD/trying to find an imperfection, knife lovin' eyes. Sorry to hear that some were upset over your statements, maybe it caught them on a bad day...or not. :D

That's a shame, I didn't read any of these posts so I'll have take your word that this is how it went down.

Note Rob's last post in this thread before he shut it down:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...sell-or-trade-Hinderers-what-do-you-EDC/page4

I read the comparison review and thought is was fair...it didn't seem as though anything bad was said about any of the three knives and people should understand that its an opinion. I'm sure that we'd all have our favorite out of that group of three but that doesn't mean that the others are garbage or not just as good, they're simply different.

I really thought I went out of my way to emphasize and underscore that all three knives were "winners." But there was in my evaluation a gold, silver, and bronze winner - none were "loosers" in any sense.

There are certainly "fans" of several brands BUT the owners and management of these companies should invite input and ALWAYS strive to do better...that goes for any company that manufactures a product.

I couldn't agree more.

I've heard criticism here and in video reviews about Strider and how they don't care as much about the F&F of their folders yet mine arrived perfect even through my OCD/trying to find an imperfection, knife lovin' eyes. Sorry to hear that some were upset over your statements, maybe it caught them on a bad day...or not. :D

Based on my sample of one, I'd have to concur that Strider must have made some improvements because out of the box I couldn't find any quality issues.

A pretty disappointing response for the folks who make quite a knife. I wish people would be a little more aware that one size will not fit all and that personal dislike of certain qualities of a knife does not equate to an insult upon the maker.

I really thought I went out of my way to emphasize and underscore that all three knives were "winners." But there was in my evaluation a gold, silver, and bronze winner - none were "loosers" in any sense.
That really depends on what criteria you used to evaluate and rank the knives. If judging by the ability to pry a tank open and smash open windshields(and kill computer monitors), doubtless the list would be reversed with the Umnumzaan on the bottom due to its hollow ground and relatively thinner blade.

Based on my sample of one, I'd have to concur that Strider must have made some improvements because out of the box I couldn't find any quality issues.
That's promising news. I want one merely because the handle design appeals greatly to me. Wouldn't mind a few more with those 3/4 hollow ground blades as well:thumbup:.

Thanks for your comments, John. I enjoyed -- and respect -- your review. And I'm sorry for the abuse heaped upon you. Most of us don't take even constructive criticism well and, unfortunately, these guys prove it.

Moving along: I just opened a brand-new from Matt D. Tactical Hinderer XM, 3-inch flipper.

It's beautiful! It opens smoothly with studs or flipper. The size and weight are perfect for me. I really love it.

I also love my Sebenza Insingo, large and small; my Strider Mini SJ75 Baby Huey; and my Les George VECP.

Is the Hinderer worth twice their price? Is it worth twice the price that an LEO, EMT or soldier pays?

God bless those guys, but I think not.

My 2 cents: We must be on crack to pay this kind of mark-up.

Does that mean I'd never do it again? Hey, this is clearly an addiction, so I can't say. Let me get back to you on that.

Back