• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Complaint on Dale Chudzinski

I have known Dale for about two years now, and even made several dozens of sheaths for his excellent knives before he learned to make sheaths for himself. In my experience, Dale has ALWAYS been a man of integrity and good to his last word. I was always pleased with his work ethic, friendliness, and his overall willingness to go out of his way to please his customers.

Yes, Dale has had a lot on his plate the last few months, mainly family health concerns that have taken up a lot of his time that would otherwise be used in the shop. The man has his priorities straight in my opinion. Too, he is not a full-time knife maker. Dale works full-time at another job to support his large family.

In my collection of knives, I have eleven made by Dale. Four of the knives were given to me by Dale. He owed me nothing but was only being sincerely generous as always. I treasure each of those knives.

I think I know Dale's knives about as well as anyone, having seen piles of them come across my leather bench. You will not be disappointed once you receive your knife. I can promise you that. Dale is not one to compromise quality to shove knives out the door. When he is happy with the blade performance, fit & finish, out to the customer it goes. Some things you just can't rush. I know he will really appreciate any patience you can give him right now as he continues to fill orders.:)

BTW, Dale makes an EXCELLENT Nessmuk knife with respect to performance and aesthetics. It is THE Nessmuk knife IMHO.;)

Danny

I can't add much to what has been said. Just wanted to add my name to the list of character references.

I am always surprised that when there is a complaint there are always people here with a post count of 1 that reply. I dont doubt that Dale is a great guy, but the thumbs up seem a tad suspicious.

The guy in question should not have to ask the customer to contact him, he should be falling over himself trying to make it right.

As for the guy that paid up a year ago, this just goes to show you that being a nice guy only gets you walked over.

'No rush' & over a year really stretch the dictionary definition.

There are too many great guys here that are quick to supply what you want to bother with people that can't make the effort (And lets face it, an email takes about 1 minute to compose and send) to even let you know whats going on.

If you take someones money either do the knife and send it ASAP, refund the money until you are ready to start on it, or give up.

I always hear 'rough patch, taking care of....' like the buyer had the money fall out of the sky and land in their lap :jerkit:

Rant off :D

Temper said:
I am always surprised that when there is a complaint there are always people here with a post count of 1 that reply. I dont doubt that Dale is a great guy, but the thumbs up seem a tad suspicious.

Temper,

I have little time for forums in general these days and mostly only read some topics. However, a couple years back, I was a very active member here (different user name) with hundreds of posts. I am well-known by many of the members here, including some of the moderators. I exist as a real live person who has some legitimate opinions and experience with the maker being discussed... regardless of the number of posts shown under my current user name. At this point, I doubt that Dale has any knowledge of this post at all!

The experiences of all of Dale's customers that I have been associated with have been very positive. This is truly the first time I have heard of any complaints. Only Dale can answer those who have concerns about the delivery of their knives.

Many of Dale's defenders here I recognize, as active members and moderators from other forums. All a decent crowd. Though I can understand your suspicions, I assure you that they can be laid to rest.:)

Danny

Fair enough Danny, I respect a lot of the guy here that vouched for him.

If you have been around in the last few months there was a Strider thread that generated a lot of 1 post count people coming over to the GB&U threads, not exactly a hot destination for first time visitors.

I just hope this can get resolved quickly and amicably. I was ripped off by a guy for over $800.00 (not for knives), but the anger is just the same no matter what you are 'supposed' to be getting. So I am a little sensitive to threads where people have paid for stuff they didnt recieve and tend to think the worst as this has been my experience.

Temper,

I'm yet another who will vouch for Dale and hold him in high reguard.Yes I have a low post count,doesn't mean I don't browse this forum often.Owing to peoples treatment here by the resident ne'er-do-wells and downright rude pricks I don't bother replying or posting. :rolleyes:

Oldhippy,

Did ya try picking up da phone? Would have saved besmirching Dale's good name,as you can see he has a lot of fans.I sincerely hope your fine knife arrives soon,I'm confident it'll serve you well.
Have a safe and prosperious Xmas and New Year. :thumbup:

Easy Rollins said:
Temper,

I'm yet another who will vouch for Dale and hold him in high reguard.Yes I have a low post count,doesn't mean I don't browse this forum often.Owing to peoples treatment here by the resident ne'er-do-wells and downright rude pricks I don't bother replying or posting. :rolleyes:

Yeah, its a shame, its become quite combative in here recently. Even the Wilderness & Survival section, which, until quite recently was very easy going.

Usually though, when someone complains about a company/individual and there is a lot of interest in the thread, the fan boys from each side migrate here from their respective 'home forums' and post a lot of hype/crap/whathaveyou.

I still don't think his behavour is anything to be proud of though, and I stand by what I said regarding he should be contacting the customer, not the other way round.

I contacted Dale with a PM through the Hoodlums forum immediately after this thread was posted. He is not a member here at BF and was very upset when I told him about this thread. Hopefully he was able to work this out with oldhippy and all will end well. One thing that I do not like to do with my customers is take any money at all until the job is complete. Some customers prefer to make a deposit or even pay in full in advance. If you decide to do that with a knifemaker that doesn't require any money down, that's a choice you have made and don't expect the maker to put you ahead of his other customers just because you've paid in full. I keep a log of emails with the date the order was taken and that is how I make the knives. In that order. I hope this comes to a good conclusion for both parties involved.
Scott

Upset or not, he couldnt take 1 minute to send a quick email to the other guy that has been waiting a year +?

I know how it is, I was right behind another maker off this forum recently when he had what could have been the start of a bad reputation that was thankfully nipped in the bud, mostly due to the overwhelming support of members here.

I dont know Dale, it would put me off a little if I didnt deal with custom makers a bit and understand the situation they are in.

Why these guys cant just take a half hour a week/fortnight/month to send a note to customers is beyond me.

Temper said:
Why these guys cant just take a half hour a week/fortnight/month to send a note to customers is beyond me.
That, I cannot answer Temper as I don't know how he operates his business. I do know that I check my emails about 3 times a day and stay in contact with the customer throughout the making of their knife. When I start it, they are sent emails as each process is completed.
Scott

Temper said:

Well, the guy who started this thread only has 3 posts. I don't see you voicing any suspicions there. I guess 2 previous posts makes his complaint legit. All you have to is fly in here out of cyberspace and you can start a "trial by internet." It's a wonderful thing.

Easy Rollins said:
Did ya try picking up da phone?

Read the original email, he contacted him several times, there was communication between the buyer and seller, it just wasn't productive.

-Cliff

Temper said:

I am always suspicious when someone with one or two posts puts up a whinning display as the original poster has done. Did you miss that? Why? The thing is Dale has a lot of real friends who know him and his doings very well. If you knew some of these respondents your reply would be far different. I do know them.

Hoodoo said:
Well, the guy who started this thread only has 3 posts. I don't see you voicing any suspicions there. I guess 2 previous posts makes his complaint legit. All you have to is fly in here out of cyberspace and you can start a "trial by internet." It's a wonderful thing.

No, what I am saying is that in general, the first place that people head once joining BF is the main section where they usually post a question about a certain knife. Sometimes they are Trolls that head straight to Whine & Cheese. A member with 1 post that joined recently and makes their first post in GB&U is usually indicative of someone that is rallying to someones side or the same person (with multiple user names) trying to add presence/weight to a post by appearing that there is overwhelming support for the person/company.

I freely admited that I dont know Dale. I did mention that I know of the people here (Like Nick W & Scott) that wouldn't defend someone for no good reason (Like I defended another maker in a similar situation recently)

What I am saying is that low post members tend to raise an eyebrow here in GB&U and that not communicating with customers is only shooting yourself in the foot.

Does anyone here on Dale's side (Note, I am not against Dale per se, only his lacsidasical communication) that thinks that not staying on top of communication with customers is the way to go?

I know people get caught up in other things, but, the Internet being what it is, necessitates that you have a blemish free business or else all and sundry will know about it in no time at all.

Membership here is free, it takes about 2 minutes to sign up and get a password etc via email.

I will say it agian, the customer shouldn't have to contact Dale, he should be here and answering questions and making it right. If it turns out that the 'customer' is full of it and only trying to sully Dale's name, then it will be blatently clear for anyone too see. Dale can only do himself a favour by being here.

Cliff Stamp said:
Read the original email, he contacted him several times, there was communication between the buyer and seller, it just wasn't productive.

-Cliff

Why does it not surprise me Cliff that you linger here like miasma?

Temper said:
What I am saying is that low post members tend to raise an eyebrow here in GB&U and that not communicating with customers is only shooting yourself in the foot.

Well you did a lot of fancy sidestepping in that last post but the issue still remains. You give credence to the guy who started the thread (with 3 posts) and you attempt to impugn the character of someone who supported Dale and has only 1 post. Yes sir, it's all about thread count now. :rolleyes:

Its not fancy side stepping its the GB&U

If someone says XXXXX is a POS and a thief then they can, this is what this forum is for, not for groupies to say that people shouldnt post. What would you rather have, no GB&U at all?

OK right in the chops, no side stepping here.

Do you think Dale should be here to answer these accusations?
Do you think Dale's lack of communication with 2 customers is a cool thing that should be encouraged in the custom/handmade knife business?

It matters not one iota the post count of the accuser, you have seen it too many times in the news when some gold digger is after money from someone famous for Assault/rape/not passing the salt. The burden of proof is on the accused no matter how unfair that is.

For the third or fourth fucking time. I am not saying Dale is a bad guy, I AM SAYING HE SHOULD BE HERE TO ANSWER THESE CLAIMS. COMPRENDE?

JFC!

Temper said:

The guy in question should not have to ask the customer to contact him, he should be falling over himself trying to make it right.

As for the guy that paid up a year ago, this just goes to show you that being a nice guy only gets you walked over.

'No rush' & over a year really stretch the dictionary definition.

There are too many great guys here that are quick to supply what you want to bother with people that can't make the effort (And lets face it, an email takes about 1 minute to compose and send) to even let you know whats going on.

If you take someones money either do the knife and send it ASAP, refund the money until you are ready to start on it, or give up.

I always hear 'rough patch, taking care of....' like the buyer had the money fall out of the sky and land in their lap :jerkit:

Rant off :D

I tend to be more suspicious of people who appear suddenly with 3 posts to complain about somebody, than somebody who appears suddenly to defend that person.

TemperDale can only do himself a favour by being here.

Many things on the internet which you can find to be quite trivial can in fact be extremely complicated to some. While it may not seem like a big deal to you to just register and post a quick note, it can be intimidating to some who may find it much easier to let someone else know and post a note for them. I know people who find it an ordeal to just read emails.

While I think critizing the origional poster for starting the thread instead of attempting to yet again contact the maker after several failed attempts is hardly sensible, I don't think two missed orders are something to in general get concerned about, aside from the perspective of those two individuals in particular of course.

If you check Dale's background it doesn't look to be one where he mass produces identical knives, but more of a one-of type deal and is more of a craftsman working in a shop than running a business. I grew up in that enviroment (wood working not knives) and what can happen is that you can just get distracted, no it isn't an excuse, just an explanation.

It seems like a long time, and it is if it is your knife, but months or even a year is not a long time if you get a spurt of inspiration working with new materials or a new design, or just interacting with more involved customers. Now this isn't exactly good business practice, but it is a long cry from ripping someone off which is the point trying to be made.

It seems as though this thread has achieved its goal which is to have Dale address the issues by making the complaint public which hopefully will allow the situations to be resolved shortly.

-Cliff

Back