1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Composite Blade Intro

Discussion in 'Kershaw Knives / Zero Tolerance' started by Tif, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Tif

Tif

May 17, 2007
    Just a little somethin'...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Thomas W

Thomas W Banned by Moderators

Oct 11, 2005
    Hi all,

I thought I would expand a bit on the new composite blade (patent pending) that we put into the new Tyrade.

Basically what we are doing is taking two different steels and welding them together, thus making up the composite blade. Our future thought is to be able to offer up a blade that has a performance edge (CPM-D2, ZDP-189, etc...), and marry it up with economical, high machineability steel (13C26, 410...). Obviously your premium steel goes much further with this technology, and it will hopefully allow us to offset the performance vs. price issue that keeps many from ever using a higher end piece of steel. It should also play towards those steel snobs as well, plus it looks pretty cool.

Of course these steels need to be somewhat compatible when it comes to HT, as they are processed at the same time. Current strength testing is under way, but I don't feel is an issue.

As for the welding, it can be done using either copper, nickel, or gold. We are testing different steel combinations as well as the actual ways that they can be affixed. You can see from the images Tif posted, the different ways we have done up some blades to date. The Leek is a 13C26/ZDP-189 blade, the other 2 are 154CM/CPM-D2 combo's. Ken's custom Tyrade is a 154CM/S30V arrangement. BTW, that is an image of Tim's new MOAB proto.

The looks and combinations with these composite blades have seemingly unlimited possibilities and we can't wait to get into them.

We are pretty early in playing around with this technology, but feel it has potential to find a permanent place around here

3. C Ben Susrool

C Ben Susrool Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Fantastic :thumbup:

Thanks for the information. Look forward to the new steel applications.

Great to see Kershaw and their design team leading the way.

Keep us informed Tif & Tom !!

4. barrabas74

barrabas74

Jul 27, 2005
    That looks awesome....cannot wait to be able to buy one.

5. samhain73

samhain73

Mar 5, 2005
    Wow, thats a great idea! Very cool!

6. nygiantsfan3342

nygiantsfan3342

Aug 20, 2006
    I am glad I got into knives when I did. There is so much cool stuff coming out now! Thanks to Thomas and Kershaw for thinking outside the box, keep up the good work ya'll!

7. Walkindude

Walkindude

Feb 20, 2007
    Wow, not good, not good at all. Your feeding the addiction !!

8. 2brothers

2brothers

Apr 22, 2007
    damn.

Send them to me know or I'll burn down the internet !!!

mike

9. offsetlover

offsetlover

Feb 26, 2007
    Tim, that is a awsome knife that you have designed! I can only imagine what it must be like to have something like that. what does MOAB mean?

10. Colog

Colog

Dec 2, 2005
    Kershaw is just getting better and better. I love what you guys are doing. Keep it up.

11. robertmegar

robertmegar

May 3, 2005
    More great innovations from Kershaw!!!

12. Tim Galyean

Tim Galyean

Nov 5, 2004
    Offsetlover,

Im glad you like it. Something quite a bit different for me design wise, but I like a lot of different styles of design.

MOAB means: Mother of All Blades.

13. offsetlover

offsetlover

Feb 26, 2007
    you are welcome Tim. Kershaw going to put the Mother Of All Blades into production?

14. kindred_spirits

kindred_spirits

Jul 16, 2006
    Nice, I can't wait for more Galyean Designs, I love my JYD II.

15. Thomas W

Thomas W Banned by Moderators

Oct 11, 2005
    We are undecided on the MOAB as of today.

16. Th232

Th232

Oct 16, 2006
    Very nice designs!

I'd be interested in the MOAB even if it wasn't made with a composite blade!

17. kneedeep

kneedeep

Jan 28, 2007
    They all look great! Probably wouldn't take too much convincing for me to buy all three!

Hmmm...OK you convinced me, took less than I thought.

The MOAB is pretty wild looking. Are the dovetails in the blade, actually dovetails? Or are they just cut in that pattern to look like dovetails?

Not that you don't have enough potential with the composite blade technology as it is, but my mind just reels with the possibilities if combined with MIM! :eek:

18. offsetlover

offsetlover

Feb 26, 2007
    are you thinking what im thinking kneedeep? something like the offset with that composit tech in it? that would be awsome!

19. nozh2002

nozh2002 Banned BANNED

Jun 9, 2003
    Wow! This is coming better and better.

Laminated blades are in use for centuries and almost standard solution for knives in Scandinavia and Japan, but this is looks different because of "glue" you are using nicel, copper and gold. What is the difference between this and old laminated blades?

Only conсern I have - is copper rust easy?

Thanks, Vassili.

20. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    Thomas, the innovation is great. It does bother me that this is how you look at part of your customer base of which you could include me.