Condor Knife & Tool owners: Give an honest opinion

Yeah the stock handle is a great length--I just use a machete as my on-the-go chopper so an axe tends to see the most use around the homestead for me. In those circumstances I like a long handle. :D

I was looking for a "parang" foot long blade and just bought a Warlock machete - I'm pretty impressed by it. The 1st thing I did was strip off the epoxy (it didn't look like it was going to hold up under repeated chopping), and used a cold blueing solution (from Brownells) to put a rust resistant coating on it. I really like the shape and heft of this blade, and the micarta handle is very comfortable and a secure grip. Was pretty sharp out of the box. Debated this one vs. the Pack Golok, but wanted the sharp "point". As others have indicated, the sheath isn't ideal, but I'm not using this as a zombie slayer :)
I'm happy w/ this purchase.

I own the Hudson Bay and Kukri machete and both are outstanding tools. I'm hoping to add a couple more by the end of the year. Maybe the Thai Enep knife and either the Speed or Dundee Bowie.

I own a barong and the Warlock. Neither came very sharp, but neither was totally dull either. They were easy enough to sharpen, although I'm not a big fan of the convex grind. It's just kind of a pain in the a$$ to sharpen a convex grind in the middle of the woods. This could be due to my lack of experience, also. I have tons of sharpening rods, stones, and hones, but none really lend themselves to convex sharpening. Still, you really can't beat Condor for what you're paying; the quality is definitely there. The Barong is especially fantastic in my opinion.:thumbup:

I own a barong and the Warlock. Neither came very sharp, but neither was totally dull either. They were easy enough to sharpen, although I'm not a big fan of the convex grind. It's just kind of a pain in the a$$ to sharpen a convex grind in the middle of the woods. This could be due to my lack of experience, also. I have tons of sharpening rods, stones, and hones, but none really lend themselves to convex sharpening. Still, you really can't beat Condor for what you're paying; the quality is definitely there. The Barong is especially fantastic in my opinion.:thumbup:

Ignore the fact that the factory grind is convex. Sharpen it like a normal knife. ;)

The main point of the convex is to blend the geometry to eliminate the hard shoulder. So sharpening it like a normal edge isn't going to destroy that. In fact, freehand sharpening creates a slightly convex edge anyway, due to the slight variation of angle in your strokes.

my only complaint is that the hudson bay should have a lanyard hole...I ruined 2 carbide drill bits trying to make one...

Excellent quality, cool designs and low price, what's not to like?

Couldn't you have just replaced one of the pins with a flared tube?

I'm smacking myself over the head right now. Will have to use my friend's press at the shop or heat up the pin and punch it out, but I don't have punches... maybe I should go and get some...or do a whole new handle! got enough wood to play with now

Ignore the fact that the factory grind is convex. Sharpen it like a normal knife. ;)

The main point of the convex is to blend the geometry to eliminate the hard shoulder. So sharpening it like a normal edge isn't going to destroy that. In fact, freehand sharpening creates a slightly convex edge anyway, due to the slight variation of angle in your strokes.
That's what I did. Used a 3-sided Hewlett JewelStik (my fave sharpener), and they sharpened up just fine. Although, the edge on the Barong towards the tip was very obtuse when I received it. That took a bit to bring down, but worth it.

That's what I did. Used a 3-sided Hewlett JewelStik (my fave sharpener), and they sharpened up just fine. Although, the edge on the Barong towards the tip was very obtuse when I received it. That took a bit to bring down, but worth it.

Gotta' love those Jewelstiks! I use a single-grit oval "stubby" model as a scythe stone. You can use the traditional front/back stroke with it and it gets in the curve just right.

I should be getting a box from FortyTwoBlades today with a Condor in it. I will let you know how I like it :)

Ive owned 3 so far

The Standard Golok: Quite possibly the best chopper per pound ive ever run across. The steel is fantastic on mine and can hold a much finer edge than i normally cut with a chopper and still hold up to the beastly tasks i ask of it. The handle while it looks odd is actually very comfortable.

Parang: Chopped better than the Golok but i couldnt get along with the handle so i sold it

Warlock: Fantastic handle on this, literally one of the best ive held. Chopping wise im disapointed despite being heavier and more built for chopping vs. the Golok it doesnt outchop it. The sheath is a big disapointment to me, after reading about how good they were i was suprised by what i got. Its made of some very good leather but im not impressed with the swivel loop in the least bit, drawing and sheathing the knife is troublesome as its far too form cut towards the top, and the throat of the sheath isnt cut anywhere near the profile of the knife. I would have much rather seen a draw up sort of sheath rather than a draw thru. Its a good knife all around, just not a great one.

I hope to buy the Dadao, Pack Golok, Hudson Bay and Engineer Bolo soon as well though.

Working on that right now. If it were a draw up sheath, it would use alot of leather and look very big and bulky.

Last edited:
Yeah--my thoughts as well. If you don't care for the two snap straps you can just use the top one and rotate the bottom one out of the way. I do that with the lower two straps on my Viking machete when I'm taking it out/putting it back in its sheath frequently. When carrying it over more of a distance I'll do the two lower straps as well just for backup security.

i like the mini bushlore so much it has became an addition to my edc maxpedition bag. very handy little knife

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lovin' that pocket sheath. Great application for it! I think that Mini looks familiar. :D:thumbup:

that pocket sheath/knife combo makes for a slim package that takes up very little room in an overly loaded bag.

I was seriously considering getting a warlock, but i love my boomslang so much than i can't stand the thought of replacing her.

Well I'll be getting a couple in today, so I'll be sure to post my impressions. Maybe even snap a few side-by-side pics though they'll be of poor quality until I get a new camera. I'll have to use my phone or my webcam. :p

Back