1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering an Umnumzaan

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by JJ_Colt45, Dec 16, 2017.

1. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    The Umnumzaan is my favorite out of large & small 21’s and small Inkosi (I don’t have a large Inkosi...yet).

The orings are 1/8 id x 1/4 od, a size commonly available at hardware stores. The material from CRK is polyurethane, I believe, whereas hardware stores usually stock Buna-N or occasionally Viton. I’m not sure how much that really matters, as I’ve never gotten around to getting replacements from CRK. The HW store ones are cheep and seem to work well enough. I replace them every now and again, maybe once or twice a year during a rebuild.

I love the aesthetics of the knife, especially the blade grinds. I also love how sturdy it feels in hand. Most of all I love the unique feel & motion of deployment (although like many, my thumb did rebel during break in). With the pivot adjusted just right, it thumb-flips open with a secure but simultaneously soft and muted “thug.” Just awesome.

JJ, when you finally pick up your first Umnumzaan, stick with it until both the knife and your thumb have had ample chance to adjust to one another, if needed. Totally worth it.

Thin-Slice and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  2. uofaengr

uofaengr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Dammit, I'm gonna end up with one of these again....

miso2 likes this.
  3. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Thanks 4mer_FMF ... I'll keep that in mind about the O rings ... and I've played guitar since I was big enough to hold one and my uncle got me started so I don't notice much issue with thumb studs or at least I haven't on the knives I've bought that some told me were a big pain to break in ... so knock on wood this won't be too bad. It is the blade grind that keeps me coming back trying to talk myself into or out of it but I can't help but love the blades.

And uofaengr ... that's the point I'm at lol ... I have looked at them and the urge has been there but for some reason I fought it but think this time the force is to strong ... buy one I will.

4mer_FMF likes this.
  4. Josh K

Josh K Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Two different tanto versions? Maybe this needs to be a separate thread but I assumed the TNK tanto became generally available..

5. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 19, 2002
    For the newer pivot style yes..but under the older one, TNK still had the exclusive.

6. Josh K

Sep 29, 2008
    I mean is there a difference in the tanto shape or is it the same shape, just with two different pivot designs (and all the other little changes between)?

7. Nrthfce

Nrthfce

Sep 17, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Even with a little elk blood left on the scale from a successful weekend, it snuck into my pocket for work today. Might be due for a servicing, but still almost 2 months left in the shoulder season so it’ll have to wait.

Thin-Slice likes this.
  8. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I think bhyde means the dynamic tip tanto with the old style pivot was only offered throught the TNK exclusive ... but the dynamic tip tanto with newer pivot was available through other dealers ... if my understanding is right that's how I have read it in other posts before.

9. Josh K

Sep 29, 2008
    That's what I thought (one style tip, two style pivots), but “I have the Dynamic tip, but have had no luck finding anyone willing to let go of the standard tanto” made me think there were two different tanto styles offered.

10. Josh K

Sep 29, 2008
    :eek: Based on this post it looks like there is a difference.

[​IMG]

Thin-Slice and bhyde like this.
  11. bhyde

Mar 19, 2002
    Actually, there was the dynamic tip tanto and the standard tanto offered on the old pivot Umnumzaan. To date, I have only acquired the dynamic tip.

12. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    yes there were two styled tips on the old pivot ... so you're correct in seeing a difference in the two blade tips ... I can't say 100% but I read the dynamic tip was offered with the new pivot style but it wasn't only a TNK exclusive like the orginal older pivot was ... maybe byhde can give you that information to be positive ...

I actually bought a TNK exclusive Sebenza 21 Tanto that next to a friends it looks like a dynamic tip but I'm not sure it was ever made in any but the Umnumzaan so it may just be a slight grind difference.

13. bhyde

Mar 19, 2002
    It was an exclusive for awhile. I think that the exclusivity was TNK's up until 2015 or 16. Not quite sure which. Was only interested in the tanto for the completion of the collection.

14. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I don't think there is a functional difference between the two tanto tips

bhyde likes this.
  15. Josh K

Sep 29, 2008
    One is dynamic and remember, more adjectives means more better!

Thin-Slice likes this.
  16. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Well mine is non-dynamic so has more letters = more awesome so ha!

I do love this knife though, my first folder over $150. In my pocket right now

17. HOKIE_FAN

HOKIE_FAN

Aug 7, 2010
    I love my Startac. I wouldn't change a thing about it. It was difficult to open until it got broken in.

18. Thin-Slice

Thin-Slice

Jul 4, 2016
    I think it was 2016 because thats when they started popping up at all the retailers as far as I can recall.

19. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    out of curosity ... does anyone know ... did they ever offer the dynamic tip tanto on the 21 model?

20. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    In case you're still on the fence.....

9Zaans.jpg

ZaanNewLBS_User-1.jpg

ZaanNewLBS_User-2.jpg

ChazzyP likes this.