1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering an Umnumzaan

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by JJ_Colt45, Dec 16, 2017.

1. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    these things are worse then rabbits ... nice collection ... but I think my decesions been made ... this week I'll be placing an order ... now it's just a matter of if I can limit it to just the Umnumzaan ... or if there might be a couple others sneak into the cart before I get finished.

2. Iron City

Iron City Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Slippery slope.... the Umnuum bug was late in coming to me but once you get one in hand it makes sense. You need to consider a 21 as well... a classic that you need to experience.

3. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I have a handful of 21s and a 25 and now a Large Inkosi and a couple Nyalas ... so the Umnumzaan will fill out almost everything ... it will probably whisper to me at night that I need a Mnandi ... o_O

bhyde likes this.
  4. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Yes, you need a Mnandi.....

DesertIronwoodsOnBalcony-5.jpg

Sean1111 and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  5. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    Curse all you enablers !!! ... And you had to pick a nice dark wood inlay to post ... the one type that always seem to catch my eye ... a nice looking pair ... *must not look directly at picture* ... ok ... so if you hear something shatter it's just the piggy bank ...

6. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    OK, look down instead of directly at that pic. ;)

DiamondMnandi-Balcony4.jpg

dropback, bhyde and marcus52AR like this.
  7. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Mar 19, 2002
    I can haz Zebra Mnandi?

8. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    I can haz your Zaan collection? ;)

bhyde likes this.
  9. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I can haz lunch money after looking at all the purdy pictures and having internet access all weekend ???

just tell me they dont offer the Mnandi in Desert Ironwood or Cocabola or nice darker Bocote and I might escape and not have to drive to Boston to get a "loan" ...

knew I was gonna need an accountant soon as I started this thread and asked the question ... me and my big mouth ...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    bhyde likes this.
  10. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    The 2 together above are Desert Ironwood, here's some Cocobolo....

CocoboloOpen3.jpg

CocoboloScale.jpg

And some Bocote...

Bocote-Back.jpg

BocoteStraight1.jpg

BocoteCurly1.jpg

JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  11. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    I have to admit I rarely go anywhere I'd consider that I should carry a bit classier knife then most days ... and I have a couple slipjoints and a couple Mcusta one in very nicely figured Quince wood ... but looking at those Mnandis ... they may end up finding a way to fill that role.

Those are some great looking knives ... maybe I can hope they don't fit me well or they discontinue them before I start buying those ... o_O

I think I need to stop typing ... especially in this thread before I have half a dozen new CRKs ... to fondle as I get comfortable for the night sleeping in my truck ... lol

12. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    Well you all should be happy ... just hit confirm for the order for my first Umnumzaan ... I resisted adding a Mnandi to this order at least ... but man saw a few that made it hard.

I've almost convinced myself the Mnandi is just a bit to small for my hand ... now don't go posting pics showing it fits your hand great n stuff ... I may wanna eat this month sometime ... and after the holidays and the Umnumzaan ... well my wallets feeling thin at the moment.

So next week I'll post pics of my newest addition ... although it will be a singular Umnumzaan not a whole clan.

Thanks to all that assisted in my jumping into an Umnumzaan ... or thanks I think ??? ... JJ

Lone_Wolfe, dropback and bhyde like this.
  13. bhyde

bhyde UNNECESSARY EVIL Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Mar 19, 2002
    There is a subset of us with high blood pressure from the top ramen diet. Hardly sustenance but you should see the collections!

Congrats!

JJ_Colt45 and Lone_Wolfe like this.
  14. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    lol well nutri systems and weight watchers got nothing on knife-aholics!

bhyde likes this.
  15. Josh K

Josh K Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 29, 2008
    You can take my Zaan collection :D

16. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    Well just got and opened my CRK Umnumzaan ... ummm ... how in the h*** and why in the h*** ... did I wait so long to get one of these ???!!!

I loveee it ! ... I haven't been so excited or more pleased with many knives in sometime ...

for Christmas my father wanted to get my nephew a special gift for a Christmas/congratulations for opening his own landscaping business ... and I helped dad look and we picked out a CRK/Wilson Combat Inkosi ... and I really liked that knife so I got myself one of those ...

but now through wondering about them and liking the look so much and wanting to try one and the members telling me more about the Umnumzaan ... and of course posting all the pictures ...

I finally ordered one ... have to say I'm impressed ... many said they were a bit hard to open and may take a break in period ... but it is like butter and as easy and smooth as any CRK model I've ever had ... and I am so glad all the pictures and suggestions finally got me to try one.

It may become my favorite CRK ... I can't wait to use it and see how it compares in performance to my other CRKs ... and I will get some pictures soon and post them.

But I can say ... if there is anyone that is on the fence about the Umnumzaan like I was ... jump on it ... I'll post more after I get a chance to use it some.

Thanks to all that replied!!! JJ

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Lone_Wolfe and bhyde like this.
  17. Lone_Wolfe

May 3, 2011
    Congrats! Now you need that Mnandi....... :D :D

2006BlackPalm-Balcony1.jpg

18. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    NOOOO ARGGGG ... wait until Feb. at least ... my poor wallet looks like its had gastric bypass surgey ... lol ... I already saw a mnandi that if it's still there in Feb. will probably not be there after ...

unless this Umnumzaan starts to reproduce ... if you get them wet after midnight do they reproduce? ... o_O

Curl of the Burl and Lone_Wolfe like this.
  19. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Congrats on your ‘Zaan!
    It was my first CRK and still my favorire.

Now it’s time for you to post a pic!

bhyde likes this.
  20. JJ_Colt45

Sep 11, 2014
    Took a couple quick pictures ... Im hoping to get time soon to take some better pictures and included all the CRKs ...
    2018-01-14 11.47.03.jpg
    2018-01-14 11.48.21.jpg