Convexed Waki

The Waki is a nice addition to my Bussekin sword set. Never could bring myself to use the AK47. The Ruck was stripped and I’ve reprofiled the edge to a polished convex. It was a big hit at our last Chop-In

023.jpg

Waki handle is as thick as the AK, but the grooves are a little deeper.

025.jpg

Tip profiles all similar.

026.jpg

The Waki came toothy sharp, but the profile is pretty thick right behind the edge. Some test chops on thumb thick branches shows that the Ruck cuts cleaner, with less crushing evident. Ruck cut on left.

037.jpg

Close up of edge and tip before we get out the HF 1x30 belt grinder.

038.jpg

039.jpg

I decided to grind first and strip later, so the coating helps one to see how the work is going. After some passes with the 80 grit belt, starting to take the shoulder down.

040.jpg

041.jpg

A little more work, starting to blend towards convex.

043.jpg

044.jpg

More test/fun cuts. Slashing unsupported branches works well.

045.jpg

046.jpg

Cutting straight down on a branch on the stump, the blade wedges in place as there is no place for the wood to go.

047.jpg

Starting to look like a convex profile. I’ll do a little more today at 80 grit, then switch to 120 and gradually higher. Maybe I’ll strip it first.

048.jpg

049.jpg

While I was doing this the nice Postal Carrier brought some more toys. The SARSquatch is going to get a clip point.

054.jpg

Sweet:thumbup: Look out Zombies:eek:

Oh the temptation. When oh when will I learn to leave my knives alone. My Kalamazoo 1" x 42" is just sitting out there on my porch calling to me. You're not helping at all, resinguy! Can't wait to see the finished blade! :D:thumbup:

Well, it's stripped now. Same dull gray as INFI under the coating. Pics later. The various marks on the flats are probably left over from the hot rolling process at the mill, or a rough grind after the rolling to remove scale. Hey Vic, did you have this problem on your HF grinder? When I try to flat grind against the platen, the blade chatters badly, so it not possible to do a smooth flat grind, or grind flat areas. I will have to get out a sanding block and hand finish the flats.

... Hey Vic, did you have this problem on your HF grinder? When I try to flat grind against the platen, the blade chatters badly, so it not possible to do a smooth flat grind, or grind flat areas. I will have to get out a sanding block and hand finish the flats.

Yes, and it has done it with every single belt grinder I ever used. You have to get the blade square with the platen and use light pressure. All easier said than done. I think sanding the flats is easier with a disk grinder. That is why I sometimes just do a full convex on some blades. It looks better than my uneven sanding on the flats. On my new Waki, I didn't go for a very thin edge, but just put a slightly narrower convex on the blade. The edge will be stronger for the abuse I give it than a super thin convex edge.

Waki007.jpg

Waki006.jpg

Hey Vic, did you have this problem on your HF grinder? When I try to flat grind against the platen, the blade chatters badly, so it not possible to do a smooth flat grind, or grind flat areas. I will have to get out a sanding block and hand finish the flats.

Yes, and it has done it with every single belt grinder I ever used. You have to get the blade square with the platen and use light pressure. All easier said than done. I think sanding the flats is easier with a disk grinder. That is why I sometimes just do a full convex on some blades. It looks better than my uneven sanding on the flats. On my new Waki, I didn't go for a very thin edge, but just put a slightly narrower convex on the blade. The edge will be stronger for the abuse I give it than a super thin convex edge.

I have to concur. I don't know when I will learn. I have tried flat grinding with my platen in the past and can't get decent flat grinds. I keep thinking I am trying a new or different touch or technique, but I can't get good flats. Yet, I "CAN" get pretty nice convex grinds.

I have been trying to satin finish my S5CG and maintain the flats to maintain somewhat of a convex/sabre effect. But, I just can't get the flats to look decent on my platen. I will either have to work on by hand or just use slack belt without platen to achieve a uniform, but convex finish.

I haven't finished. So, we will see. But, I can't really get decent flats either.

I think a much larger flat area on a larger 2" platen might work better. And I can sometimes get so-so results around larger ricasso areas. But, I keep messing up the flat just forward of the ricasso, when the belt/platen comes off the larger ricasso going forward down the blade, it rolls just a bit and is dip grinding out the flat just forward of the ricasso. :grumpy: :thumbdn:

Anyway..... good luck.

I'm not nearly as experienced as others here with the belt sander, but I also get the chatter when using the platen. I stick to convex.

I further thinned my Waki edge a bit today, but I don't think I am going to strip and full convex mine. Really looking forward to seeing resinguy's finished blade, though. I think this is as far as I am going with mine.

WickedWaki001.jpg

WickedWaki009.jpg

WickedWaki008.jpg

WickedWaki007.jpg

Thanks for this thread! I am learning a lot and getting pretty inspired as to what to do with my Waki. Being very inexperienced, and yet to buy my belt grinder (probably the HF, but possibly the Sears model if I can find one) I think I will avoid the flats altogether for now.

When you do a full convex in order to strip/finish what used to be the flats, do you lose width in the blade by the time you get the whole "flat" area refinished? Horn Dog- that edge is just beautiful! Can you give the step-by-step for it?

Thanks, Mike

Nice work on the curve and tip. :thumbup: :cool:

I know that mine won't look that good.

My wife had bought the HF and got the combo unit with the disc grinder. She remembered that it came with a couple of discs, and she even knew where there were stashed. :thumbup: :p

So maybe there is hope, yet.

I have faith in you, resinguy. Yours is going to be awesome. I can hardly wait to see it. :thumbup:

...When you do a full convex in order to strip/finish what used to be the flats, do you lose width in the blade by the time you get the whole "flat" area refinished? Horn Dog- that edge is just beautiful! Can you give the step-by-step for it?

Thanks, Mike

People have differing techniques. One way to avoid making the blade narrow is to do most or all of the heavy grinding edge up, keeping the very edge itself off the belt. Some do not like this technique, but it works for me.

Back