Convexed Waki

the Waki is a convex grind, so there are no flats to grind.

:confused: Mine didn't seem convex at all. Pretty much flat grind to a thick V secondary edge and V primary edge. Profle much like my AK47.

Mine is definitely convex and appears full height convex - although it can be hard to tell through the coating.

However, at the very least, the ricasso and pommel are flat. So, for those stripping their blades who want a nice satin finish on "all" exposed steel, the ricasso and pommel will need significant amounts of sanding to removed dimples, machine marks and such. :(

But, from my experience, the Waki's ricasso and the pommel are both too small to properly work on with a belt sander with the scales attached. So, the ricasso and pommel will either have to be done by hand, remove the scales or leave the coating - which doesn't look as nice IMO. :(

I like ALL of my knives to be satin and the Waki is no exception. The Sage coating is a bit nicer looking than most other coatings, but still NOWHERE NEAR as nice as a nice satin blade IMO.

Further, I think this blade BEGS to be full convex. :thumbup:

----------------

I am surprised I never asked and never saw anyone else ask, but I assume (for some reason) this Waki is NOT differentially heat treated (?????) :confused:

I don't see a temper line on your pics Resinguy.

Anyone know for sure?

I am surprised I never asked and never saw anyone else ask, but I assume (for some reason) this Waki is NOT differentially heat treated (?????) :confused:

I don't see a temper line on your pics Resinguy.

Anyone know for sure?

It is differentially heat treated, that's all I can say ;)

Sometimes those hamon lines are hard to see and even harder to photograph. I thank rezinguy for showing us all just how much work it is to do a satin finish. There is a reason those satin LEs cost so much. Several of my older Swamp Rats and Busses have "Ghetto" satin finishes that are not near as nice as rezinguy's. :thumbup: Darn you, rezinguy. I went and did mine today. What a lot of sanding that was!
shinywaki041.jpg

Last edited:
:D:D

Lookin' Fine! :thumbup:

I have a small ScotchBrite wheel for my 3/8" drill, maybe I should try that to smooth things out.

Sometimes those hamon lines are hard to see and even harder to photograph. I thank rezinguy for showing us all just how much work it is to do a satin finish. There is a reason those satin LEs cost so much. Several of my older Swamp Rats and Busses have "Ghetto" satin finishes that are not near as nice as rezinguy's. :thumbup: Darn you, rezinguy. I went and did mine today. What a lot of sanding that was!
shinywaki041.jpg

Is the darker line in the middle of the blade the hamon line?

In general, with any knife, when there is a visible hamon, it's usually pretty obvious, like the one on the M9LE...

Differentially hardened can also be a gradual process, where there isn't a narrow transition between hardnesses, in which case you would have no hamon.

You can see it quite clearly in this pic, especially near the tip where it's catching the light.

3688974222_f4ec8eb3da_o.jpg

Is the darker line in the middle of the blade the hamon line?

I am not sure, but I think it is along the line shown here between the polished edge and the rougher blade. Maybe if I polish the blade more, it will show better. In any case, if it were not differentially tempered the blade could never be bent like they did in the test video without breaking.
shinywaki004.jpg

shinywaki033.jpg

It is differentially heat treated, that's all I can say ;)

Cool. Thanks for the input. But, when you say: "that's all I can say", you mean that is all you can say about it being differentially heat treated ... right. ;)

Now.... about that crescent moon pommel. :confused: I believe you were going to get back to us on that. :thumbup: ;)

I am not sure, but I think it is along the line shown here between the polished edge and the rougher blade. Maybe if I polish the blade more, it will show better. In any case, if it were not differentially tempered the blade could never be bent like they did in the test video without breaking.
shinywaki004.jpg

shinywaki033.jpg

Vic,

Your satin Waki looks great... But, those squiggly machine marks are making me nervous about starting on mine. :( - SO MUCH grinding - so little time. :barf:

Maybe one day soon I'll polish the blade some and find that darned hamon line! But not today. That sanding takes some time. My third world satin finish will just have to do for a while.

Great job you guys! I am gonna get mine this week. I dont know if I'll Satin it up but they def look good. I know i'll probably tweek the edge a bit on my sander. Dont think I'll be using sandpaper by hand with this one (did it with my FFBM and it took FOREVER).

HD/Resinguy after you get to using it a bit can you let us know if it really did help performance much? Thanks.

Well, it's stripped now. Same dull gray as INFI under the coating. Pics later. The various marks on the flats are probably left over from the hot rolling process at the mill, or a rough grind after the rolling to remove scale. Hey Vic, did you have this problem on your HF grinder? When I try to flat grind against the platen, the blade chatters badly, so it not possible to do a smooth flat grind, or grind flat areas. I will have to get out a sanding block and hand finish the flats.

I have that exact same problem when I try to use the flat platen (in the looses sense of that word) on my HF grinder. I pretty much only use it for convexing or shaping g-11 or mycarta etc.

Back