Convince me that I need a CRK

so the large Sebenza (or 21) it is.
Good choice. I actually prefer the small, but I would say the large is a great place to start. Nothing wrong with the plain scaled, but the inlay (especially Micarta) is excellent. You will only be able to get an inlay in the Classic MM or 21 version-unless you go for a Annual which is a regular, but I don't really think you want that sort of expense for a user.
Hard to go wrong with any choice you make, and there will be someone that thinks that is the best choice no matter what.
The exchange is a great place to buy one.

Lots of great advice here. I will only echo that for your first user Sebenza I would go with a PJ (Plain Jane) and keep the Damascus for a future purchase. And like many here, I started with one, and have a few more than that now. And the “guru” of the Sebenza would be Lone_Wolfe. Wisely follow her sage advice.

Last edited:
tulca- thanks for the advice. Your comment about running with a PJ would in most cases be really solid advice. Unfortunately, I'm not wired like that. :)

I will probably walk away from the Damascus but I have to have something with a design or inlays. You see, this is what happens when I decide I want something with bearings and then buy it with washers.

IMG_1127-2.jpg

In other words, I am guaranteed to buy multiples if I don't get what I want from the git-go. As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I am looking for 1 more knife. If natural progression leads me down the path to multiple CRK's, I'm good with that. Starting on that path is a dangerous road to travel for me. As always, I appreciate the feedback everyone.

Certainly. We all follow our own paths. Perhaps a Seb. with Carbon Fiber presentation side, or with Micarta or wood inlay. Haven't owned a Micarta inlay, but most likely will at some point. Good luck in your choice.

I sure am glad I posted this thread.
I'm getting a lot of help and learning plenty of things I didn't know I wanted and needed to know about CRK.
Thanks! I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to respond but I especially appreciate the educational input from bvo85.

I have other knives with washers and bearings and want the CRK experience, so the large Sebenza (or 21) it is.

Just be aware that it is easy to pinch the washer on the CrKs featuring bushings. If the bushing isn’t properly centred when reassembling the knife you can easily pinch the washer between the bushing and the titanium frame of the knife. This problem doesn’t exist on the non bushing models.

Also the non bushing Inkosi seem to be smoother out the box. Wheras my small 21 that I have had for years broke in to be exceptionally smooth over time. Smooth isn’t the right word actually as crks are always smooth. A better description is “free swinging.” The bushing models came with a less free action that broke in to be very free over time. My inkosi came with a fairly free action more free than my 21s out the box but less free than my broken in 21. (To be fair my Inkosi hasn’t had a chance to break in as much so it might end up freest of them all over time)

Also the models like the 25, inkosi and Zaan that have the oversized ceramic detent that doubles as a lockface do not flick as well. The 21s flick pretty good after they have broken in.

I'm a knife user through and through and that has a significant impart on what I buy, or at least what stays in rotation. I really don't think that there are better knives out there for the money, all things considered. Its always been that way. When I first began looking to upgrade my knife for something more than what was available in a mall knife shop in 2001, CRK was considered the top of the heap - production or custom - and they were priced accordingly. Now the spectrum of what's available is all a blur. It's easy to get lost in translation. For me CRK remains top tier for several reasons. While other companies attempt to fix aspects of folding knives that were never broken in the first place, they have only "added corners" and somehow believe (or at least market) that that is innovation. CRKs are exceedingly well made, they have minimalistic, well thought out designs and will alway hold their value. Not to mention they are fantastic cutting tools!

When it comes to any purchase if you settle for less you will often have the urge to get what you wanted.

Im not saying I'm going to sell my Dodge to get a Range Rover. But for an item like this.

I think its better to spend a few extra dollars and get what you like.

I only own one CRK and that's all I need. Because it's the one I wanted.

Last edited:
Tell me how the Sebenza is 3000% better than the Opinel if you compare price and what you get for the price. Please evaluate.
I had a Nyala and loved it, I don't wanna hate on CRK, please do not misunderstand me.

But saying they are the best bang for the buck is just not true. You can get almost the same performance for much less money.

And did you ever see Andrew Demkos lock strength testing?

BellaBlades BellaBlades , goofball yourself.

Last edited:
@jacob.k is right. Depending on which model and where you buy them, you can get about 20 Opinels for what you can buy one CRK, and simply throw one away and move on to the next one if it dulls or otherwise fails.

CRK absolutely makes some really nice, premium knives. The premium that you are paying for a CRK has more do with with bragging rights than quality. There are any number of good quality knives that will get the job done as well as a CRK knife. A CRK is a status symbol. Owning one says, “I have the spending power to pay $400+ for a tool when spending $50 or so would get the job done.”

And that’s completely fine if that’s where your priorities are, and if that’s how you choose to spend your money. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Most of us have areas and items in our lives where we like to splurge. But let’s not kid ourselves into thinking anyone needs a CRK. If you feel you “need” one, the “need” has nothing to do with cutting, and everything to do with psychology.

To the two Opinel brothers up there. .. Don't ask to use my benza' when your budget blade fails;)

You might be kind of missing the point (no pun intended). We’re talking about need and value. No one needs a $500 knife. There are dozens of good quality knives available at a fraction of the price of a CRK that are at no greater risk of failure than a CRK.

Going back a generation or two, I’m sure all of us have a father, grandfather, or great-grandfather who got by and made do with a single, inexpensive knife, and would give us a good knock upside the head for spending that kind of money on a CRK or for hoarding knives in general.

But again, if you have the money, and it fuels your passion, they are fine knives. I may well have one myself in the near future. I’m simply being honest that if and when I do, it will have nothing to do with need or value.

You might be kind of missing the point (no pun intended). We’re talking about need and value. No one needs a $500 knife. There are dozens of good quality knives available at a fraction of the price of a CRK that are at no greater risk of failure than a CRK.

Going back a generation or two, I’m sure all of us have a father, grandfather, or great-grandfather who got by and made do with a single, inexpensive knife, and would give us a good knock upside the head for spending that kind of money on a CRK or for hoarding knives in general.

But again, if you have the money, and it fuels your passion, they are fine knives. I may well have one myself in the near future. I’m simply being honest that if and when I do, it will have nothing to do with need or value.
It's all in good fun and conversation. Not missing any points here. Just saying, comparing a CRK to an opinel.... haha. Someone had to call that one out

I have some Opinels also (#6, #7, #8) that I like for what they are, but I would never EDC one. Ever. In my opinion, there is no comparison between them and my CRK's. Yup, they both cut stuff and they can be EDC'd easily. And I do appreciate their design and mechanism. But my criteria for an EDC folder goes way beyond that. I EDC my CRK'S not because I want an ego trip in my pocket or I want to show off my financial position. I carry my CRK's because they are the best knives for my uses I've ever experienced in my 30+ years of carrying and using knives.

Edit: The Demko lock strength testing is not an accurate or realistic representation of lock strength and/or reliability. I have used many knives by many manufacturers over time; never had a lock fail on any of them in over 30 years. Also, I highly doubt an Opinel would pass that testing, at least the ones I have anyhow.

Last edited:
I did not realize we were having this discussion now.

I love Opinel and Mora knives. Always will. I gifted 5 Opinels for X mas last year.

However. A comparison between my old Opinel Opinel #8 and my Inkosi is laughable.

I feel that both have an equal cost to Value ratio.
At $12 for the Opinel and $485 for a milled edition of the Inkosi.

Back