Convince me that I need a CRK

@jacob.k is right. Depending on which model and where you buy them, you can get about 20 Opinels for what you can buy one CRK, and simply throw one away and move on to the next one if it dulls or otherwise fails.

CRK absolutely makes some really nice, premium knives. The premium that you are paying for a CRK has more do with with bragging rights than quality. There are any number of good quality knives that will get the job done as well as a CRK knife. A CRK is a status symbol. Owning one says, “I have the spending power to pay $400+ for a tool when spending $50 or so would get the job done.”

And that’s completely fine if that’s where your priorities are, and if that’s how you choose to spend your money. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Most of us have areas and items in our lives where we like to splurge. But let’s not kid ourselves into thinking anyone needs a CRK. If you feel you “need” one, the “need” has nothing to do with cutting, and everything to do with psychology.

If you're going to give advice, at least make it believable.

When you use a tool to help you make a living, having the best tool for the job pays for itself, doesn't break and leave you in a bind. I can buy cheap ZawZall blades for about a third of the price, but I choose not to and go with name brands that are more expensive that will last a hell of a lot longer. Buying a tool from Harbor Freight is all well and good. For some, it's all they need. Trying to convince someone that the tools sold there are the best, is a lie.
It has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with having a tool that will be dependable for a long time, won't break on you when you need to use it, won't wear out after prolonged use and something that can be passed on and still be just as reliable as when it was first had.
I've worked with the guys that bought cheap tools, I've seen their boneyard of tools that need to be repaired. And, I've seen them using the best tools available after more was spent on the cheap stuff.
Is a 500.00 tool needed, absolutely not. Sometimes, having peace of mind is priceless.

If you're going to give advice, at least make it believable.

When you use a tool to help you make a living, having the best tool for the job pays for itself, doesn't break and leave you in a bind. I can buy cheap ZawZall blades for about a third of the price, but I choose not to and go with name brands that are more expensive that will last a hell of a lot longer. Buying a tool from Harbor Freight is all well and good. For some, it's all they need. Trying to convince someone that the tools sold there are the best, is a lie.
It has nothing to do with psychology and everything to do with having a tool that will be dependable for a long time, won't break on you when you need to use it, won't wear out after prolonged use and something that can be passed on and still be just as reliable as when it was first had.
I've worked with the guys that bought cheap tools, I've seen their boneyard of tools that need to be repaired. And, I've seen them using the best tools available after more was spent on the cheap stuff.
Is a 500.00 tool needed, absolutely not. Sometimes, having peace of mind is priceless.

I agree with every word of this. At the same time, with regard to a tool as simple as a knife, generations of people got by just fine without the “need” for a knife at a $500 price point. The OP started this thread about “need.”

There are a hell of a lot of knives on the market that occupy the price points between a $12 Opinel and a $500 CRK. I’m simply suggesting that with respect to “need” it’s probably a very, very small minority of folks that can truly say that there is no other effective cutting tool within that range to meet their needs. It’s also a lie to suggest every knife below the $500 price point is unreliable crap.

But I can tell I’m ruffling feathers, so I’ll step out of the discussion now. Again, they’re great knives. Arguably among the best on the market. But maybe more “want” than “need” which again, perfectly fine.

This one kind of flew off the rails, didn't it?

There are valid points from both sides of this discussion.
Ajack60 has a valid point that I understand having been a mechanic in a professional capacity for the past 30 years. The flip side is Astronaut FX and his/her last post. This also makes perfect sense as my title did indicate a "need".

I appreciate everyone offering their opinions but I don't "need" a knife.
I have a desire to own a new knife that will not be used in any type of a professional capacity.
Astronaut FX was offering opinions based on what I asked for in my title, which was my mistake. I realize that people feel strongly about their personal preferences, as do I, but I believe both posters are accurate, depending on whether my title was taken at face value or not. No need to go away Astronaut FX, I appreciate all opinions, whether I take the advice or not.

Thanks again and I will keep everyone up to speed on progress. I just haven't found "the one" yet.

Looks like we're all on the same page.

Almost every knife I recommend is in the $50-120 range. It's just what the average user wants to spend .

I have yet to recommend a CRK to a friend because anybody who already knows about them owns one.

I don't need my CRK. But I'd rather have it than a pile of anything else.

All knives cut things but only CRK makes you feel special because while cutting things you know that quality build, tolerances,fit and finish, ease of cleaning, simplicity of design, customer service of CRK will have the consistency no one else can match.Cheers.

AstronautFX said: "Going back a generation or two, I’m sure all of us have a father, grandfather, or great-grandfather who got by and made do with a single, inexpensive knife, and would give us a good knock upside the head for spending that kind of money on a CRK or for hoarding knives in general."
I fit into that category. When I was a kid, I used to get into the show for 2 bits and would get that from finding and cashing in coke bottles for the 2 cent deposit.
Back then (groan), we valued the quality of an item made by a skilled hand and acquired them whenever we could afford them - especially tools. I was told, and still practice, "When you buy a tool, look at the best you can afford and then buy the next one up." Good words that have always served me well. In other words, it pays in the long run to buy quality.
The first "quality" folding knife I was able to purchase was a Buck 110, probably around '66 or so. Wish I still had it. But I still have some fixed blades.
Do I wish I still had the inexpensive ones - no.
Sorry...the point I'm trying to make is the price of that Buck was a lot of $ to me back then, far from " a single, inexpensive knife" of which I had a few.
Could the $ I spent on the Buck been better spent elsewhere? Without a doubt, yes.
Did it cut better or differently than the cheapies? Yep, sure did.
Did I know I could count on it to do whatever job I wanted a knife for? Yep.
Did it have an intrinsic, unique feel while being used? Yep.
Did I enjoy just looking at it when I wasn't using it? Yep.
Is that how I feel about CRK? Yep
Will I pass CRK on to a grandchild? Yep, with pride.
Will I pass on an Opinel? Got Spydercos, Benchmades and Bucks. Don't have an Opinel.

My take after collecting for only 2 months. I started with benchmarks. The quality just isnt there anymore for a knife in the $221 range. I have 5 or 6 of them. Last one was and assisted Emissary for like $221 brand new but came with an uncentered blade. This seems to be an ongoing quality control issue with BM. Sure BM corected it with a new blade and new springs and free shipping back, but it took them 5 weeks to return my "new" knife which to me is unforgivable. And no contact from them. I had to call and they still have two more of mine.
I said screw BM and moved onto CRK. CRK contacts you when they receive it and then once more beore they explaing waht it needs and any cost involved.

So far I would agree with the poster that said get one with inlays. The large 21 pictured is their Spalted Beech. New was probably $550 and I picked it up here for $455. It has a lot richer feeling then my plain janes.
I'd forego the Damascus unless you just plan on keeping it in a safe. The one pictured here I picked up from a guy this week who just had his blade replaced by CRK for $300, because he damaged his original one. Damasacus is not that indestructible from what I've learned and not worht the extra money IMO.

Just hang out at the CRK forum here and you will get a feel for whats selling. A good deal goes within like 5 min. But don't be worried as another will pop up shortly within a few days. What I've seen with this forum is members buy a knife only to sell it again a few weeks later. It's like one big happy family that just keeps passing their knives around. What always surprises me are the ones who buy say a $650 Damascus 21 and then sell it here for like $100-150 less because they saw another knife they wanted more. Thats fine with me :D

I'm going up into my shop now to polish out that fine scratch that it came on the inlay model. You can't feel it with a nail so Im sure I can polish it off. Nice part is if I screw it up . . . for a fee, CRK will make it like new for me again!

IMG_6401.jpg

Last edited:
I’m of the opinion that if you need convincing you won’t be happy. I like my Sebenza a bunch but in the same respect I like my KC Gray, Emerson, and my Pro-Techs a bunch too.

I'm going up into my shop now to polish out that fine scratch that it came on the inlay model. You can't feel it with a nail so Im sure I can polish it off. Nice part is if I screw it up . . . for a fee, CRK will make it like new for me again!
View attachment 899368
Does the seller know that you're claiming that Sebenza came to you with a scratch on it? That scratch doesn't seem to be there from the original post, nor the edge finish that it now has.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/lg-sebenza-spalted-beech-sold.1570004/ Here's the knife from the sale post...
View attachment 899618

Some great opinions here. Analogy? I used to drive (several actually) of the old Volkswagen Beetle. Great and revolutionary auto for what it was. VW will get you to the same place as a Mercedes Benz, but prefer the latter as my standards have risen as I have gotten older.

I can now afford that increase in power, comfort, solidity and personal pride of ownership. And damnit, I just want one. And that’s what it’s all about in America - not the Hokey Pokey. Have a great weekend...y’all.

Last edited:
My 1st CRK showed up today and I could see how someone might feel a bit underwhelmed. I will admit that I felt the same way when my F3 Shiro showed up. Yeah, the Shiro is a nice knife but I just didn't understand the fascination when it arrived. After having had it and using it for a week or so, the picture started to get more clear once I realized that the details are what sets these knives apart. I am definitely a fan and can appreciate it now.
The CRK is nice and I am glad that I made the purchase. Since it arrived today, I can't truly appreciate it for what it is yet, but those little details are just jumping out at me by the handful. I suspect this 4 year old safe queen will be a keeper. And it won't be a safe queen for very much longer since I have every intention of using it as the tool (albeit a very nice one) that it is supposed to be.

IMG_1171-2.jpg

Last edited:
My 1st CRK showed up today and I could see how someone might feel a bit underwhelmed. I will admit that I felt the same way when my F3 Shiro showed up. Yeah, the Shiro is a nice knife but I just didn't understand the fascination when it arrived. After having had it and using it for a week or so, the picture started to get more clear once I realized that the details are what sets these knives apart. I am definitely a fan and can appreciate it now.
The CRK is nice and I am glad that I made the purchase. Since it arrived today, I can't truly appreciate it for what it is yet, but those little details are just jumping out at me by the handful. I suspect this 4 year old safe queen will be a keeper. And it won't be a safe queen for very much longer since I have every intention of using it as the tool (albeit a very nice one) that it is supposed to be.

View attachment 903556

Elegant looking CRK !!!!!
You did good picking the one you wanted;). Yes, it is the experience of using a well made knife that sets it apart from other knives. For me, I enjoy carrying a CRK and using it. The ease of breaking it down, cleaning it, is also a part of understanding why they're liked.
Definitely post some pics of the personality you create for it.

Like everyone has said, that is sure a beauty. I am sure that you will grow to love it. Very, very nice. Grats.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.
I had to break it down since the original 2014 grease wasn't doing much to help the smoothness.
It's amazing what a little fresh grease did for the action. Got a ways to go before this one is broken in since there was just the slightest sign of a detent trail when I pulled it apart. It was even difficult to tell which side of the washers was which. The seller said it was only displayed but never used or carried and it's pretty apparent that the statement was accurate.
I look forward to putting it to work now that it is significantly easier to open.

Back