Cordless Drills ,non-Chinese

I'd like to get a cordless drill but I don't want Chinese .Any made here or other countries ?

Well, my limited experience is Black and Decker (BAD - avoid! stopped working after 3 months, got it replaced, stopped working after 5 months, batteries were loosing charge fast) and the Makita...It's been 3 years with my small 14.4 Makita, used almost daily for all sorts of chores, and it is still going strong. Yes, it is more expensive, but the dang thing works as it is supposed to. YMMV.

Got a Porter Cable 14.4V. Serious torque - can drive 2 1/2" deck screws easily with no pilot holes and decent battery life for a weekend warrior. But if you're a weekend warrior, your batteries will always be dead so you're better off with a corded drill. I cycle my batteries by using the 14.4V flashlight every day when I get dressed in the dark so they are always charged.

I own two DeWalts and they've performed well. I've had no service issues or repairs needed, and I use the drills frequently.

With the longer battery life, I use the 14.4 volt more than the older 12 volt version, but it's nice sometimes to have two drills.

Hard to go too-far wrong with major brands like DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Porter Cable, etc.

Best you can get is supposed to be Makita 18V BHP454 | $329
(don't know where it's made, I doubt many aren't made in China)

All cordless products that I'm aware of are now made in either China or Mexico. It is my understanding that it is often hard to tell with any certainty. I've heard that makita and dewalt both have products made all over the world though I have heard that Makita builds more of their tools in the USA than any other company, don't know if it is true or not however, or even current.

I've been very happy with the Milwaukee (made in China for at least the last few years) M18 tools I purchased last year. The drill is great, the compact batteries work very well- two lasted me all day on the deck I built for my brother and I found I was able to drill 16 3+" deep holes in concrete plus sink 12 tapcons on one charge. Also, they have the extended charge batteries for bigger jobs/cordless saws. They also are lithium batteries with some sort of voltage regulation that keeps the batteries fresh between usage.

.I've been very happy with the Milwaukee (made in China for at least the last few years) M18 tools I purchased last year. The drill is great, the compact batteries work very well- two lasted me all day on the deck I built for my brother and I found I was able to drill 16 3+" deep holes in concrete plus sink 12 tapcons on one charge. Also, they have the extended charge batteries for bigger jobs/cordless saws. They also are lithium batteries with some sort of voltage regulation that keeps the batteries fresh between usage.

Hammer drill?

Hammer drill?

No, the one I got is the compact drill, model #2601. There have been some people complaining about it not handling even light loads but that just hasn't been true in my experience with it. Pretty amazing how much power it has considering its size, easily enough to twist my wrist if I'm not paying attention, such as when using a hole saw to cut a hole in a steel clad door. When I bought it, I assumed I'd have to break out the corded drill for bigger jobs but it just hasn't been the case so far. The one drawback I can think of is that the body around the motor gets pretty durn hot under prolonged heavy use. When I was drilling those 16 holes in concrete (for brackets) it was almost too hot to touch by time I got to the last few holes.

I had intended to eventually buy the hammer drill model but highly doubt I will now. Maybe just the compact impact driver instead.

Germany would be OK but never heard of Festool. Is Bosch made in Germany ?
BTW I was specifically looking for an 18V drill/driver.

Festool is top shelf. I believe that most, if not all, Bosch power tools are made in SE Asia. And there's always Snap On if you don't mind paying $400+ for a drill...

Festool makes excellent tools and is my fist choice when budget allows.

DeWalt or Rigid. Rigid have a lifetime warranty (even the batteries).

Dewalt makes a great drill.

Craftsman is good too...I think they are still made in the USA

All craftsman power tools are imported though some are assembled in the US. However, I believe that almost all Craftsman hand tools are still made here.

I don't know if they have a built in self-destruct or what... all the portable Craftsman power tools I had died within 1.5 months of each other. Until that happened, I was very happy with them.

ah, now her is somthing i know a little bit about, My Two cent's wprth would be to get a Bosch, DeWalt, or a Makita 18v if your getting DeWalt then get an xrp hammer drill version, bosch im not sure if they have a hammer drill version but if they do get one (more power) and Makitas are just awsome, great tourqe.

Back