Cordless Drills ,non-Chinese

I used a Rigid 1/2" drive drill (corded) on a jobsite for about two years. Put that thing thru hell coring concrete and it just begged for more. Sold it to a buddy who used it for another two years on a steel fabrication job. He was hole sawing 10" holes in 3/4" steel plates. Ran all day and all night (until he dropped it from height (5 stories) one day......)

Never mind, just deleted my post. I don't know where any of them are made, and I am pretty sure some of the ones I recommended are Chinese made.

I got two DeWALT's and they're the best drills/drivers that I've ever owned.

Bosch that I've had for 20+ years is excellent too (though not cordless).

Only ever heard good things about Makita.

Here in the UK, all the tradesmen and women that I see tend to go for DeWalt and Makita, all the trade tool outlets seem to love 'em too!

I choose not to but any tools made in China.

My 18v dewalt has been used in temps from 130f to -25f. It's over 10 yrs. old. Now it isn't used everyday but does get used fairly regularly and has been fairly well used and abused. I'd buy another.

+1 on the Dewalts, although I don't know if they are 100% USA made.

- Mark

I have a 12V dewalt, that has been going strong for 3,5 years, and a incredible 15.6V HILTI cordless hammer drill.

Peter

Depends on how much you have to spend.

The best is Hilti, hands down.

Like most anything else, you get a lot of brand loyalty in power tools. I usually stick with Milwaukee, Porter Cable, and when budget allows, Hilti.

Almost all drills are made in China and Indonesia. You will have a very difficult time in finding any the are now made in the USA.

Makita still makes several in Georgia, but you will have a hard time finding them in Home Depot or Lowes since they sell lower cost imported lines from the manufacturers.

Craftsman, Dewalt, Ryobi, Milwaukee, Rigid, and even Bosch are nearly all made in China.

My original Makita 9.6 just keeps chugging after nearly 15 years although 1 of the batteries finally gave up the ghost. Also have a Makita 14.4 that has been going strong for nearly 8 years. My DeWalt 9.6's batteries both gave up the ghost after 5 or 6 years. Great drill, but replacement batteries are pricey. One of my buddies had the DeWalt 12.0 and the batteries gave up the ghost on that one within 4 years .. DeWalts are great drills, but the batteries we've had experience with didn't last long enough IMHO .. especially when compared to my Makita experience.

Have 2 Milwaukee corded drills, one gave up the ghost after very light use. Some plastic part inside broke .. POS ... Have large 1 Makita corded drill. Fast and powerful ..

Have not owned any of the other brands, but hands down, corded or battery, I'm a Makita fan.

Razz

My DeWalt tools are going strong and Makita's been great for a long time. I gave my Dad a Makita hand drill 11 years ago and he still uses it. The DeWalts are 6 years old and no issues so far.

I don't know where they're made though. Makita is Japanese and they have factories in several countries, including the US AND China. So unless you look at the specific tool, there's no telling where it's made.

Owned a Dewalt for a few years now. Nice drill. Batteries won't hold a charge like the use to though. Nothing serious to speak of however....

im pretty sure they are made in china but i have been using makita corded and 18v cordless tools and after selling tools for 2 years and using them in heavy construction(concrete,fencing) for 3 years i would say there isnt a better feeling and lasting tool on the market

Just checked, my 10 year old 12V Bosch = made in Switzerland.
My 14 year old 7.2V little Makita just keeps on going (it's small, it's light, it fits in my pocket and is perfect when I'm up a ladder or in a tight spot.)

I'd like to get a cordless drill but I don't want Chinese .Any made here or other countries ?

In this global economy, it's going to be hard to find a tool (good quality or a POS) that isn't made partly or completely in China or from Chinese parts. When you add SouthEast ASIA into the mix, it's a fluke to find one that's made entirely in Europe or the USA. Older tools as mentioned in one post could be found that were made in Europe or the USA but, that was then and this is now.

Japanese cars were POS originally, now they are very good. South Korea has followed a similar path and now makes many high quality products. China could/can make high quality products if someone is willing to pay for them.

All the brands mentioned have Chinese content for a few simple reasons related to cost. Labor and toxic was disposal is a lot cheaper in most cases then what is found in Europe and the USA for better or worse. A high quality company like DeWalt, Makita, Bosch, .... will make sure the parts they use are high quality and will stand behind them if they break. No name cheap Chinese stuff sold in flea markets is what I think you were originally referring to when you posted I would agree that any serious use would kill them quickly.

The real cost for any of these cordless tools is in the batteries. If you use up a battery, the cost of replacement is almost as much as a new battery equipped tool. Over time this has changed a little but, batteries are still a big cost driver in any of these cordless tools. If you stay with a major name brand purchased at a big box store, you are more apt to find cost effective replacement batteries in the future then your low volume tools purchased at a specialty shop. Unless you earn your living with the tool in question, brands like Hilti and Festool are overkill for the vast majority of us.

FWIW, my 18V DeWalt cordless tool kit from Home Depot is still going strong. The original batteries weren't very good but, the new ones are going strong. I think the tool packs are cheaper to suck us into buying THEIR batteries and keeping us brand loyal for life ... :)

I don't think this one was mentioned yet, but I bought a 18V Hitachi from Lowes this past June and it has been excellent.

Real smooth all metal chuck , a built-in belt hook and LED light, and nice ergonomics. Batteries seem to hold charge well and they charge up fast.

I do not know the country of manufacture, though.

I use Makita and Hitachi,both are great.Go for the ones with Lithium ion batteries as these do not have memory and tend to have more capacity-my Hitachi ones operate at 3Amp-hrs,more than enough for most tasks.

Back