Cordless Drills ,non-Chinese

I used to own all Porter Cable until they were bought by Black and Decker. Now, I will only buy Bosch, and should have from the beginning. The BEST drill I have ever owned. I use mine heavily and it just has tons of torque.

If you think about it, there's a bit of a 'chilling' message when we all make accurate remarks to the effect 'you have to buy Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Malaysian, etc.' to obtain a tool. I can recall writing white papers about this starting 20 or more years ago while working in DoD and other government agencies.

The gist of my writings was basically this---the USA is losing the ability to manufacture tools, machinery, and so on. Not only the capacity to manufacture but also the human skills. We used to have thousands of appretice machinists, welders, tool makers, metal workers, etc., coming up through the ranks. No longer. Now we have a 'service' economy with much of our work force in finance, banking, medicine, law enforcement, analysis, and so on. No workers anymore and I don't believe our military is any longer capable of defending us against a sustained global conflict. Much of our weapons, equipment, and/or spare parts are made in the aforementioned foreign countries. Cut our supply lines and where do we get nuts, bolts, screws, nails, etc., not to mention replacement electronics? Hell, most of our major machine tools are now made in China, Japan, or wherever to include farm machinery and even hand tools. We used to be an industrial nation and were the wonder of the world during WWII. No more! We've become a nation of computer nerds, bankers, and so-called technicians with limited ability to make the products and tools we use.

Can anyone list a US made washing machine, microwave oven, tv, radio, power tool, or anything else of an even semi complex nature that's made here? There probably are some little 'niche' manufacturers scattered around. But, by and large, we've let ourselves become dependent on other countries, many of whom don't give a damn about us other than as a market for their technical/industrial output. Not a good situation.

Back