Corona thread. No politics please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing to consider wrt to Sweden:

If you look at the size and population densities of their cities and towns, Sweden, Denmark and Finland are actually pretty similar. When you consider the deaths not as a total, but as deaths per 1,000,000 or per 100,000 population, you can then get a better perspective for comparison (i.e. easier to compare deaths between countries with different population sizes, when you look at deaths/100,000).

The average size of the cities and towns in Sweden is similar to Denmark and Finland. Although calculating the population density in Finland per square mile or acre makes it appear that they have a lower population density, the population is mostly concentrated in cities and towns of similar size and with similar population densities to Sweden.

Sweden's deaths per 100,000 are 5x times higher, and they're still nowhere near herd immunity. In addition, their economy is getting hit hard because
a) when people realize that the infection and death rates are significantly high, they wind up self-isolating anyway, but only after a lot more deaths than the other countries experienced.
b) their economy has also taken a hit from the neighboring countries closing their borders to Sweden after seeing the results.

They've had many times the number of deaths per population, along with the hit to their economy (which was the reason they tried to let it 'burn through' while keeping everything open, thinking that it would preserve the economy).

Very early in the pandemic (I think I made the post in the Random Thoughts thread, before this thread was created), I expressed that specific opinion; yes, shutdowns will hurt the economy, but the economy will also take a hard hit if/when case counts and deaths start to scare people.

What the "No shutdowns!" crowd don't seem to understand, is that if you do NOTHING to mitigate a pandemic, once you reach a point where a LOT of people are getting sick and many have died/are dying, the economy tanks anyway, as people hide out of self-preservation.

The sad thing is, another point I've tried to make from early on, is that we could avoid shutdowns of most businesses while still mitigating the spread, if everyone wore masks/face coverings in public, but now people have made this a political issue.

That's why I've been pissed off at the talking heads from the moment they started the, "Masks won't protect you, don't buy them" idiocy.

A study of the pandemic in 198 countries has shown that the countries with the earliest, most widespread use of masks, have controlled/mitigated the spread the best.

N95s have been, and are still in short supply in most of these places. The vast majority of the people in those countries have either been using the paper procedural masks, or cloth masks. Do they provide 100% protection? No. Do they even provide anywhere near N95 protection? No. And yet, they've still demonstrated that if EVERYONE wears some kind of facial covering, the spread of this respiratory disease is hugely mitigated.

Arguing that non-N95 rated masks are useless is akin to saying that seatbelts and airbags are useless because numerous people still die from vehicular accidents every year despite seatbelts and airbags. They don't guarantee 100% protection, but they still greatly mitigate the chance of death and debilitation.

Absolutely! I've been showing this to people (that would listen) back in April (don't have a more recent one, had this on my phone):

95792980_10217022511170534_1636766282218995712_o.jpg

Regarding masks wearing - I became hopeful when a few European countries made masks mandatory back in late March/early April. When Austria made them mandatory on April 6 was a really good sign.. I was wrong :( to believe other Countries will follow suit. It's now almost 3 months later and the mask wearing is going in the wrong direction in certain countries. It's gonna be a bumpy ride...

Note: I wish I was in NZ right now :)

Cheers!
C.

Last edited:
The topic of the flu shot came up in discussion elsewhere. I thought that the folks here might find it of interest.

***This is NOT medical advice. This is merely my opinion. As always, consult with your PCP for medical advice***

... In addition, over the years, I've found that high dosage zinc is effective for me in knocking out common colds. In my particular case, if I start the high zinc dosage immediately when I first notice symptoms, the symptoms usually disappear within ~14 - 16 hours.

In the past ~15 years, I haven't really had a bad chest cold, and never one that started as a head cold with the runny nose, that progressed to a chest cold with a productive/wet cough for 2-3 weeks (like I see many people with, every year), because
a) the runny nose stage rarely ever lasts longer than the 1st day on high zinc, and
b) IF my nose is still running when I'm getting ready for bed. I'll pop both a Benadryl and a Sudafed 30 minutes prior, and sleep with my head in a position where there's no chance that I might aspirate the virus laden nasal discharge (this is a big one. Before I began doing this, I used to follow the typical pattern most people do; sneezing, runny nose, scratchy throat, go to sleep, wake up the next day with a wet cough).

Between the high dose zinc, Sudafed + Benadryl before bed if the runny nose hasn't stopped, and the sleeping head position that eliminates the risk of aspirating the virus laden nasal drip, there's no transition from head cold to chest cold.

... YMMV.
Thank you for the informative posts! For decades I have been successful for the most part preventing viral infections with vitamin C (500 mg), vitamin D3 (1000 IU) and zinc (37 mg) – the daily amounts I currently take are in parentheses. At the first sign of a sore throat, I will take an additional 22 mg zinc daily (for a few days only), and much more vitamin C (500-2000 mg every hour or two until the symptoms subside). Lately if I feel like a cold is imminent, I will take an additional 1000 IU of vitamin D3 daily, but only for a short time.

I agree with you about masks helping to prevent COVID-19 - they're like a furnace filter, while they don't trap every particle, they sure do help.

I must weep a little for my fellow Americans and humanity in general:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-s...-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514

Synopsis:

College kids in Tuscaloosa AL, running COVID-19 parties with a cash prize pot to the first one who comes down with the virus!!! Not to be holier than thou, the younger college-age version of me did do some pretty stupid things back when but I must wonder if I was that young at this time and if in this college town, would I do moronic things like this due to sheer stupidity, peer pressure and way excessive testosterones :rolleyes:

I must weep a little for my fellow Americans and humanity in general:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-s...-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514
Synopsis:College kids in Tuscaloosa AL, running COVID-19 parties with a cash prize pot to the first one who comes down with the virus!!! Not to be holier than thou, the younger college-age version of me did do some pretty stupid things back when but I must wonder if I was that young at this time and if in this college town, would I do moronic things like this due to sheer stupidity, peer pressure and way excessive testosterones :rolleyes:

It's hard to believe that people could be so reckless.:confused:

Last edited:
Take it from me as a violinist:

This pathogen belongs in the corona virus family of pathogens and its actual name is SARS-CoV-2. Covid-19 which is a shorthand and abbreviated version for Corona Virus Disease 2019 is the disease itself which can FUCK you up really badly if you get it, happen to be symptomatic / susceptible with lowered / diminished autoimmune system.

Last edited:
One of the most repeated questions asked:

Can a person get the Covid-19 twice?

Well of course a person can friggin catch it more than once unless that person dies after getting afflicted the first time! Do we catch the common cold just once? Nope! Do we get the flu just once? Nope! Welp, this is also a coronavirus like the other two aforementioned so having caught it once and having survived it, does not mean permanent immunity to during the time when that person lives.

The question becomes the durability of such immunity and not the invincibility of it. I very much doubt that with a new form coronavirus, in the absence of an effective vaccine, anyone’s adaptive immunity system is that strong to fight off this virus in perpetuity specially if it also happens to mutate (thanks Charles Darwin!)

ETA: I had originally said dumbest questions but then changed my mind and caustic phrasing because peep are scared and we best play nicely :)

Last edited:
Well, that's the first 'virologist' that I heard calling it the 'covid virus' instead of its actual name...
I would not blame the doctor for what could be a technical inaccuracy by a writer. I have seen writers assuming an AR-15 is the same as an M-16. Could the "doctor" be a fake – of course it is possible. Could the Chinese government be lying - there's a good chance of that!

I would not blame the doctor for what could be a technical inaccuracy by a writer. I have seen writers assuming an AR-15 is the same as an M-16. Could the "doctor" be a fake – of course it is possible. Could the Chinese government be lying - there's a good chance of that!

Not sure what 'writer' are you referring to..

I think they changed/modified the video and writing on their website now - she/the 'doctor' doesn't say Covid virus anymore LOL. At second 0:45 she was referring to the virus as 'covid virus'; now, she is saying 'Sars covid virus' and then corrects herself (obviously a learned line) with 'sars covid 2 (still wrong)'... Bad actor

Could everyone be lying? Of course...

any 'expert' who grants Fox News an 'exclusive' is always automatically suspect, in my book

subsequent research lead me to conclude that this is yet another obvious attempt to leverage ethnic division in order to gaslight. It's a straw man, meant to distract attention from what really matters

it's completely irrelevant what other countries did or did not do months ago
What is the US doing now? People should be more concerned with that question. Especially Americans

Finally got the chance to watch the video. While she's quite fluent, it's pretty obvious that English is not her first language.

I'm willing to cut folks from different language backgrounds a little slack over small differences in the terms they use, for instance (I can't recall it right now), but early in the pandemic, the EU medical community was using a different term/spelling for the virus.

As for the whole 'Chinese government withheld info' conspiracy, it wouldn't surprise me. As posted above, Dr. Li Wenliang tried to sound the alarm about a cluster of respiratory illnesses that he was concerned about, even before December and was ordered to stop spreading malicious FUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back