Council Ax, 6 lb, flat-head review

I just wish I knew the reason why they cut it off...

20190103_231936.jpg

20190103-230203.jpg

Ha, ha. An uncertified scale. I have to be careful venturing into my wife's kitchen. Her space, you know. DM

Last edited:
Ok, this is the last of those rounds I had loaded in my pick-up. It takes 3 large rounds (20"X 12-14"ea.) to fill this wheel barrow, - heaping.
About 14 cu. ft. each load and our wood box can hold 2 large loads. This will last us through a 5 day winter storm. Longer if the days are
mild. On some of these I used both my Council ax & my Hults plus 2 wedges to get them split. Today was a cold, blowing winter day. With 15-25 mph winds out of the North and cloudy. A chance of snow tonight, going down to 25*. So, wife's house stays warm. DM
splittingCA.jpg

Last edited:
marchone marchone , it was good exercise. It took me 3 hrs. work to split this one wheel barrow load. I had to force the knots to give in. I'm in good
health and all my oak is split for now. We have hot coffee and a warm house and I'll go at it again, another day using my Council ax. DM
added: The first 2 rounds split in less than 1 hour. The last round took 2 hours.
:eek:

Last edited:
Agent_H Agent_H , ha, right. I have on a heavy long sleeve shirt under that plus a tee-shirt and it was just enough when I pulled my hood up.
My dogs got cold and stayed in the wood barn out of the wind, watching. Those mountains get snow covered several times during the winter and they will look like the Alps. So, a good day to be out working. DM

Last edited:
It was such a nice day so, I took the afternoon off and did some real work. Here is the chain saw work of 2 big tree trunks cut to rounds.
There are 14 rounds all together. I'll start splitting them tomorrow, weather permitting. The 2 largest rounds were 40" across, the rest were around 20-24". I'll get you some photos in better light. When split this should net me about 5/8 cord. Axe action coming. DM
drawcut.jpg

It took 4 tanks of gas & oil, plus I had to sharpen the chain 3 times. After looking at them a few will require more encouragement but most of them
should split. Of course I could be all wrong. :) Thanks, axe men. DM

Reactions: A17
I now have all these rounds split. Only one required a lot of effort= a lot of chops. Which was the first one on the row behind me. That one is made up with a large fork in it and required many hits to convince it that I wasn't giving up! Still, a good day and no broke handles. I'll get
you ax men a photo of the piles, up in a bit. DM

The 2 rounds on the end of that log behind me had large limb anchors in them and I could not roll them over to the stump. So, I split them
right where they were, just rolled them up and went to it. These were difficult. DM
drawcut5.jpg

As you can see, my split wood looks nothing like you gents wood, all nice straight wedge pieces.
I learned some items. 1) a sharp splitting ax is really noticed on my oak wood. I had used my Council on 10 rounds previous and when I checked it's edge it needed some attention. When I returned after lunch with a good edge on it, I noticed the improvement. Now, after splitting these rounds I'll work it again. DM

Back