Council Ax, 6 lb, flat-head review

Good observations DM.
With a few minutes work that hults could be cutting just as good as the council, if the bevel was set back where it belongs.
Yep, it took me 2 hours work on the Hults to thin it down, using a file then the most coarse SiC stone I had. I should notice the improvement. I'll let you know after I use it some. DM

Those challenging pieces are the most rewarding. Bet you coulda done with wedges without the kerfs.
That is a Maybe. I was having trouble getting my wedge to stay in it for a decent hit. Then it started drizzling and I had my chainsaw sharp with gas and oil. So... It split quick. DM

Ok, to me if I have 14 rounds to split and I'm able to split 13 of them with normal effort. Then on one of them I beat around on it and it's not giving in with above normal effort. I'm not going to keep beating on it for another hour or 2. I've done that. In order to say, I got it. I'm
going to split it as fast as I can, then stack it in the barn and say, I'm done. Then move on to the next project. That's just the manner I see it. DM

Ok, to me if I have 14 rounds to split and I'm able to split 13 of them with normal effort. Then on one of them I beat around on it and it's not giving in with above normal effort. I'm not going to keep beating on it for another hour or 2. I've done that. In order to say, I got it. I'm
going to split it as fast as I can, then stack it in the barn and say, I'm done. Then move on to the next project. That's just the manner I see it. DM

Exactly how I see it. Firewood is win/lose to me. If its split I won.

I hope I didn't imply that you shouldn't use the chainsaw. I've done the same thing many times on tough to split wood. I was just pointing out the wedge option for anyone who hasn't tried concave bevel wedges.

That's a good option. Right now my wedge is sharpened with a V grind and that's not what you recommend. DM

Ok, crbn sent me this splitting maul (a Craftsman) and this 2 arm sledge, a Warwood. 6 lbs. each. A great member to have on this Forum. I'm going to put these hafts on them. I'll write them up over in the 'What did you rehaft?' topic. DM
View attachment 1064890
David, I got your letter. You are far too generous (it was supposed to just cover shipping costs). Now, I owe you; Let me know if you looking for anything specific (parts for old damaged knife or a tool). . Never know what I can run into when I attend garage sales searching for axes.

Last edited:
^ I still love your barrow! Does the front end dig into the dirt ever? she looks quite close to the ground.
I'd say yes, sometimes but no more than when it had only one tire. Doing the conversion is not difficult. Finding solid tires might be a challenge. Maybe ww Granger . I got mine at Tractor Supply. The mounting brackets are easy to find at a decent hardware store. I can throw 4-- 50 lb. sacks of feed in it and go. Easy to drive. DM

On the Mann era collins on the previous page is that an m stamped on one side andUSA on the other?
I just checked bunch of listings of 6lbs Collins mauls on worthpointcom. If there is M it usually is on same side as" wear safety googles" stamp. However, on those with M stamp the Safety marking is oriented parallel to the bit. They all have the same shape and very characteristic, rough surface inside the eye

splitting-maul-head-collins-6_1_8505b05c4d9cd05c31841fd39b431ee5.jpg

^ I still love your barrow! Does the front end dig into the dirt ever? she looks quite close to the ground.

I've posted this before and several of you have commented on the utility of it. This is my garden cart/wood cart. It's made from an old wheelchair.

Garden%20cart1.JPG

Wheelchairs are typically designed for a 300 lb. load capacity but since they carry humans there is a 50% overload factor built in. So a typical wheelchair will carry 450 lbs.

Garden%20cart2.JPG

I put the handle over the small swivel castors and let the big wheels lead the way since they are better for rolling over rough terrain. I put a tailgate on the front end for when I'm hauling soils or topping and wish to shovel out of it.

Garden%20cart3.JPG

This thing pushes much easier than my heavy duty contractors wheelbarrow. At a recent volunteer event at our local disc golf course I brought both the wheelbarrow and the garden cart. Everyone loved the garden cart. Over rough terrain one fellow was pushing the cart with one hand while smoking a cigarette with the other. You can't do that with any wheelbarrow.

It wasn't a difficult conversion. I did it in a couple hours with junk I had lying around - except for the gate latches which I had to purchase. You can find one cheap at an auction or estate sale or even on Craigslist.

Last edited:
I've posted this before and several of you have commented on the utility of it. This is my garden cart/wood cart. It's made from an old wheelchair.

Garden%20cart1.JPG

Wheelchairs are typically designed for a 300 lb. load capacity but since they carry humans there is a 50% overload factor built in. So a typical wheelchair will carry 450 lbs.

Garden%20cart2.JPG

I put the handle over the small swivel castors and let the big wheels lead the way since they are better for rolling over rough terrain. I put a tailgate on the front end for when I'm hauling soils or topping and wish to shovel out of it.

Garden%20cart3.JPG

This thing pushes mush easier than my heavy duty contractors wheelbarrow. At a recent volunteer event at our local disc golf course I brought both the wheelbarrow and the garden cart. Everyone loved the garden cart. Over rough terrain one fellow was pushing the cart with one hand while smoking a cigarette with the other. You can't do that with any wheelbarrow.

It wasn't a difficult conversion. I did it in a couple hours with junk I had lying around - except for the gate latches which I had to purchase. You can find one cheap at an auction or estate sale or even on Craigslist.
SWEET mother of wheelbarrows!! You need True Temper decals .
New marketing slogan:
TRUETEMPER....... when even disability won't prevent you from doing the job right.

Last edited:
Back