CPK Pet Thread

This little gal is one we fostered for a short time years ago. We wanted to keep her but she wasn't the best fit for a couple of reasons. She was a fun loving, mischievous girl. I have a weakness for brindles.

bella.jpg

cJO51pV.jpg

This boy has been hunting and finding birds all week long.

8oAFmsy.jpg

Unfortunately, he got all torn up by thorns and briars, so I have to keep him from licking his wounds so he can heal up. I think this picture was right after I told him I missed the 3:00 sale for the SDFK.

LkI0qr4.jpg

This boy has been hunting and finding birds all week long.

8oAFmsy.jpg

Unfortunately, he got all torn up by thorns and briars, so I have to keep him from licking his wounds so he can heal up. I think this picture was right after I told him I missed the 3:00 sale for the SDFK.

LkI0qr4.jpg

20221028_131846.jpg

Oh, that sucks. I see Skyler going after yellowjackets now and again. Poor girl.

ETA: By "poor girl" I meant Jo's dog. Skyler hasn't swallowed any to my knowledge. I think some folks thought I was lamenting her doing so.

Can she breathe ok?

I wonder if it's safe to give a dog a small amount of Benadryl?
From the AKC:

The best way to determine the correct Benadryl dosage for dogs is to consult your veterinarian. The Merck Veterinary Manual recommends administering 2-4 milligrams of Benadryl per kilogram of body weight, two to three times a day. However, this dosage can vary depending on your dog’s medical conditions.

Dr. Jerry Klein, AKC chief veterinary officer, warns that you should always consult with a veterinarian before giving Benadryl to a puppy because young puppies can be very sensitive to certain medications. The drug is also not recommended for pregnant or nursing dogs

Never use time-release capsules for dogs, as capsules are absorbed differently in dogs than in humans and may affect your dog’s dosage. They may also break open when chewed and deliver too much medication at one time, putting your dog at risk of an overdose.

It’s best to avoid using liquid Benadryl if it contains sodium, which can cause other side effects. Also avoid any form of Benadryl that contains alcohol.

Children’s Benadryl pills or tablets can be used safely if you ask your veterinarian for the appropriate dosage.

Is Benadryl Safe for Your Dog?​

Benadryl is a relatively safe and effective medication for dogs when used according to the instructions of a veterinarian. As with any new medication, always observe your dog closely after administration to make sure there aren’t any adverse reactions. If you have any further questions about Benadryl for dogs, contact your veterinarian for more information. And remember to keep all medicines out of reach of your curious canine pal.

My old man here is allergic to so much stuff - we have yet to find a food that he doesn't react to in some way or another. Benadryl is included with his diet, unfortunately, to help mitigate the symptoms, which usually include irritated eyes, paws, ears, and general itchiness.

R7P26z9.jpg

I actually didn't post that for your benefit, Jo, given your past experience. I knew you knew what you were doing. Or would find out first.

More for myself and others who aren't familiar with its usage. About the only thing I keep in the house is Famotidine for the dog, and a few cans of Purina EN. So, this was good to know.

Back