CPK Pet Thread

New house for a good old boy

DyDl30J.jpg

Very sorry about this post and I feel like a total SHIT even writing about it, but sometimes it's best to share sorrow with my CPK brothers and sisters:

I have made an appointment with the vet to put our little Yorkie to sleep tomorrow around this time. At his last check up, the vet suspected Cushing's disease which is both expensive to diagnose and also to treat. He's almost 15 YO so after some antibiotics and other meds, he advised me just to keep an eye on him and to keep the vet informed. The Yorkie's senior blood panel test came back looking not too bad but he's got severe arthritis, osteoporoses and a host of other nagging issues. He has not had any enthusiasm for walks or doing things that dogs love to do for almost a whole year now and he needs to go to the backyard everything that he eats, drinks plus like 15 times a day!!! To summarize, it's been difficult catering and caring for him. I feel like SHIT because this little guy seems to have indestructible cockroach genes and he can probably and very easily "live" another 6 months just as a peeing / poo'ing machine!

The vet whom I spoke with again last Thursday, comforted me and told me that he thought that it was time because on the "quality of life" side of the ledger, nothing much stacks up versus the other side, but I still can't help feeling like SHIT.

Just lamenting out loud. Apologies for dampening your Monday.

Sry to hear this.

Hurts to have to put a dog to rest.

Been there, done that.

Sometimes, I wonder, why we do it to ourselves; we know the known life span.

But then I remember my dogs and know exactly, why we do it.

Thanks for the thoughts man. Not my first rodeo when it comes to this, nonetheless it doesn't get any easier with repetition. TBT, if I was at such an advanced age with dementia and a whole host of other issues, I'd probably would then want someone to put me out of my misery but it's very hard to tell with these animals because no matter how rough and tough they feel, they still like to serve in some capacity till their last dying breaths. But ultimately I agree with your last note that as a species, at least we did something right by domesticating wild wolves into become loyal dogs. If our species is ever wiped out they ought to put that on our collective tombstones!

I agree; it never gets easier.

Heartbreaking.

Also agree in regards to not wanting to live a life riddled with pain.

Yes, our pooches are often troopers to the end.

Certainly sounds like your Yorkie is.

Very sorry about this post and I feel like a total SHIT even writing about it, but sometimes it's best to share sorrow with my CPK brothers and sisters:

I have made an appointment with the vet to put our little Yorkie to sleep tomorrow around this time. At his last check up, the vet suspected Cushing's disease which is both expensive to diagnose and also to treat. He's almost 15 YO so after some antibiotics and other meds, he advised me just to keep an eye on him and to keep the vet informed. The Yorkie's senior blood panel test came back looking not too bad but he's got severe arthritis, osteoporoses and a host of other nagging issues. He has not had any enthusiasm for walks or doing things that dogs love to do for almost a whole year now and he needs to go to the backyard everything that he eats, drinks plus like 15 times a day!!! To summarize, it's been difficult catering and caring for him. I feel like SHIT because this little guy seems to have indestructible cockroach genes and he can probably and very easily "live" another 6 months just as a peeing / poo'ing machine!

The vet whom I spoke with again last Thursday, comforted me and told me that he thought that it was time because on the "quality of life" side of the ledger, nothing much stacks up versus the other side, but I still can't help feeling like SHIT.

Just lamenting out loud. Apologies for dampening your Monday.
I’m sorry to hear that Mat.
It’s a tough call to make but probably the best considering the circumstances.
Just spoil him and spend as much time as you can him.

Back