Craftsman stamps

I really like the bevels on that Jersey, Gunscrounger.

THX. Actually I see I mistakenly did a double post here. It's a nice relic. Bevels on top and bottom. Head weighs in at exactly 3-12 lbs. Looks to be an older Craftsman stamp but I have no idea exactly what year/era its from but guessed it was the late 30's to early 40's.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting single oval. It's double struck. Looks like the first strike was too weak so they hit it again to get a good strong stamp. I didn't realize it was a double strike until I got it cleaned up.
Mdvzc1B.jpg

Ghn8gNV.jpg

WDa4vwY.jpg

Not sure what the f8 means.

Here's an interesting single oval. It's double struck. Looks like the first strike was too weak so they hit it again to get a good strong stamp. I didn't realize it was a double strike until I got it cleaned up.
Mdvzc1B.jpg

Ghn8gNV.jpg

WDa4vwY.jpg

Not sure what the f8 means.

Looks like probably something the owner stamped as it's not centered or anything.
Cool hatchet though, should look good once it's hung.
( I wouldn't mind finding an old craftsman hatchet, 'cause I've always had the idea of finding an old craftsman tool belt to make a sheath out of )

Looks like probably something the owner stamped as it's not centered or anything.
Cool hatchet though, should look good once it's hung.
( I wouldn't mind finding an old craftsman hatchet, 'cause I've always had the idea of finding an old craftsman tool belt to make a sheath out of )

Thanks, that's a great idea for a sheath.:thumbup:

Another mention of an F8 stamp, this one on a Fulton axe (but I haven't found anything to substantiate the claims made):

Sorry to bring up a old topic... But I just acquired a 2 pound 8 ounce Fulton boys axe head marked F8 on the opposite side in a group lot of other axes including a Plumb double (4), true temper 3 1/2 double, craftsman 3/2 (3 1/2) double, a Keen Kutter Connecticut single, two green Craftsman singles 3 1/2 and a Estwing boys axe w/ sheath for an absolute steal at a flee market style tag sale... The man said that nobody had even glanced at them in the two days they'd been there so far, so I got them for super cheap... It worked out to like a buck a piece! (The plumb is the only one on a handle, 28", well aside of the Estwing of course)

From what I can find in the little research I've done, is that Fulton was in fact made by Kelly, for, and to be sold at Sears under they're name. From the yesteryears tools site on the Kelly page it mentioned it near the bottom. Apparent they did this a lot for many stores (not just Kelly), they'd make unmarked tools and the buyers mark would be put on it opposed to the Kelly logo. Much like, for instance how a Marlin Model 60 is marked Glennfield model 60 for models to be sold in chain stores.

Here's a quote from that site-
"There is some conjecture that the FULTON brand name was used to honor Robert Fulton and his steam boat, a subject W. J. Kelly was quite interested in."

And from another site (can't remember where... I didn't save it)-
"A Single Bit Axe Head that is marked FULTON and F8 on the bottom in front of the eye, this was one of the markings used by the Kelly Axe & Tool Co."

I could be wrong, that's just what I found in my quick searches.. Honestly, I really don't care who made it, lol, it's a great little axe head that seems to be great quality. I'm eagerly looking to restore! Too bad someone hammered the hell out of the poll and it's a bit bent over... But nothing some filing won't fix.

rockman0 nice dbl. stamp.

Found this a few weeks ago, don't see many Craftsman heads in SoCal, this appears to be from the modern era also not sure what the M and E stand for under the dbl. bars.

P1010092.jpg

P1010093.jpg

rockman0 nice dbl. stamp.

Found this a few weeks ago, don't see many Craftsman heads in SoCal, this appears to be from the modern era also not sure what the M and E stand for under the dbl. bars.

View attachment 653478

View attachment 653482

I'm guessing that it's a tiny little hatchet similar to the Vaughan sub zero right ?
The M is the oem code that Sears had / has for Vaughan & Bushnell mfg, and the E was a code for national hand tools / Stanley in the 80's and 90's .but I found no mention of an M and E code on any craftsman tool.

Last edited:
"I'm guessing that it's a tiny little hatchet similar to the Vaughan sub zero right ?" Hickory.
No, Michigan pattern 3#6.8oz

"I'm guessing that it's a tiny little hatchet similar to the Vaughan sub zero right ?" Hickory.
No, Michigan pattern 3#6.8oz

That's a 3.5lb head ( close enough to 3.5 anyway ) wow, it looks just like a scaled up version of the marbles belt axes and close to the Vaughan made 8oz hatchets of that era.
I guess it's supposed to be a Michigan, but looks less like one than any I've ever seen.
From the paint left I'd say it's 50's- 60's. It likely is a Vaughan made tool ( I just don't know what the E is for )

Hickory and Steel, have you weighed it? It's an interesting pattern- looks similar to a construction axe shape.

I kept zooming up on it.
Ix1bJRL.png

Craftsman is great stuff. This one was gifted out but is nearly 4lbs. Not a unique stamp, I know.

FLC72q8.jpg

Last edited:
Hickory and Steel, have you weighed it? It's an interesting pattern- looks similar to a construction axe shape.

I kept zooming up on it.

Craftsman is great stuff. This one was gifted out but is nearly 4lbs. Not a unique stamp, I know.

Have I weighed what ? ( you said it was 3Lb 6 something ounces which is close enough to 3.5lb to call it )

OK, maybe not a Michigan pattern!

3lbs 6.8oz

Bit to Poll 7.75'' Bit is 4.5'' Poll is 2.625

Eye 2.125 X .8125

Back