Review CRK Large Sebenza 21 Glamour Knife?

Awesome guys, I really appreciate ALL the replies, sorry I can't be on here hour after hour to answer everyone in specific so I'll just go ahead and make a general post as to say..
It seems like this is a knife that you just have to spend time with before making the purchase. I'll keep an eye out on the exchange in hopes that someone is selling one here soon!

Thanks again BF

The knife hobby, viewpoints, etc. are so diverse... it's great :)

Threads like this tend to "calibrate" me as to how crazy I actually am! haha

Why do I say that? Because, because next to my Manix 2 lightweight, I consider my large 21 to the the LEAST GLAMOROUS knife I own... My Manix is my take along running and cycling knife as well as my being my hard use around the house knife, and the Sebenza is my EDC the rest of the time and it gets used as needed (but not abused, there is a difference IMO).

Now my other 30 or so knifes are a part of my "knife collection" and many (if not most of those) are what I would possibly call "glamour knifes". Stuff like Thorburn, Blomerus, Burger, Grimsmo, Rockstead, Shiro, Marfione, RJ Martin, etc... basically all the stuff well north of the $400 range. The materials, craftsmanship, attention to detail, custom/semi-custom status etc... make me view them as collectible and I treat them accordingly. Some still get light use, and some carry, but not day to day.

It's sort of like not driving your Porsche in bad weather, on bad roads, construction zones, daily commutes, etc. That's what the Honda is for.... haha

I guess I see a Sebenza a LOT, LOT MORE like a Honda than a Porsche...

Rexbo, I gave your post a like based on the whole relevance aspect. Different perspectives. Guy down the street from where I grew up was in a 'Ferrari Club'. He had a Ferrari Spider (year?) in special issue Chameleon metallic/pearlescent paint - I think I saw that beaut on the road four times after being his neighbor for 20 years. He brought it out on the clearest of days, months after any road salt had been washed away and the sun was low in the sky. The other day on RTM I saw uber rich Euros drivin their Lamborghinis around in the snow, pulling friends behind them in tubes and whatnot.

We all live in the same huge playground, but we all live, laugh, work and play to our own...accord (see what I did there?! :D).

Used Sebenza

Grapevine-1_zpsmhdustds.jpg

The knife hobby, viewpoints, etc. are so diverse... it's great :)

Threads like this tend to "calibrate" me as to how crazy I actually am! haha

Why do I say that? Because, because next to my Manix 2 lightweight, I consider my large 21 to the the LEAST GLAMOROUS knife I own... My Manix is my take along running and cycling knife as well as my being my hard use around the house knife, and the Sebenza is my EDC the rest of the time and it gets used as needed (but not abused, there is a difference IMO).

Now my other 30 or so knifes are a part of my "knife collection" and many (if not most of those) are what I would possibly call "glamour knifes". Stuff like Thorburn, Blomerus, Burger, Grimsmo, Rockstead, Shiro, Marfione, RJ Martin, etc... basically all the stuff well north of the $400 range. The materials, craftsmanship, attention to detail, custom/semi-custom status etc... make me view them as collectible and I treat them accordingly. Some still get light use, and some carry, but not day to day.

It's sort of like not driving your Porsche in bad weather, on bad roads, construction zones, daily commutes, etc. That's what the Honda is for.... haha

I guess I see a Sebenza a LOT, LOT MORE like a Honda than a Porsche...
I feel like this makes no sense at all. Lol.

if a CRK is a honda "beater" then I don't think the knife would have a price point worth half a grand? Lol.

Rexbo, I gave your post a like based on the whole relevance aspect. Different perspectives. Guy down the street from where I grew up was in a 'Ferrari Club'. He had a Ferrari Spider (year?) in special issue Chameleon metallic/pearlescent paint - I think I saw that beaut on the road four times after being his neighbor for 20 years. He brought it out on the clearest of days, months after any road salt had been washed away and the sun was low in the sky. The other day on RTM I saw uber rich Euros drivin their Lamborghinis around in the snow, pulling friends behind them in tubes and whatnot.

We all live in the same huge playground, but we all live, laugh, work and play to our own...accord (see what I did there?! :D).

So true! we are all unique individuals with our own unique perspectives, life experiences, various "stations" in life, etc., etc.

I imagine if I was very wealthy I would think NOTHING of using a $2,000 (or more) custom knife as my carry, even hard use knife. We tend to view/treat how we use or possessions as they relate to our financial position, granted not always, but I would say often at least. Sometimes just the rarity and/or sentimental value of things will shape how we view/treat them too of course.

I feel like this makes no sense at all. Lol.

if a CRK is a honda "beater" then I don't think the knife would have a price point worth half a grand? Lol.

Not saying (or didn't mean to imply) that the Honda was a "total beater" in my analogy, rather a total user... you bought it to drive it vs pamper it.

I admit that it's a bit (maybe a LOT.. haha) crazy to consider a $400 knife as relatively inexpensive, but I tend to see it that way given the cost of what I buy to collect

Get it in your hands and see if it speaks to you. You'll know whether or not you want to use it, or if you'll regret spending that much money on a pocket tool. Plenty of guys carry and use their CRKs all the time. wtlj is a construction worker who carries a large plain 21, he swears by it. I love the small 21, but my income is such that I can't justify one right now against how much I like slipjoints, but I have carried them a little, and when I allowed myself the space to have what I liked regardless of the price, then I was very happy to have my Sebenza.

Let's get this thread moving again?

Can we debate that a smarter choice would be to get a much better steel in a CKF and it would measure up to the workmanship/finishing on a Chris Reeves ?? I preferably like the Ratata
Let me know!

Ps..
I'll keep you guys posted as to whether I get a Reeves regardless lol.

The whole "is it worth it?" question is interesting. Three years ago I couldn't imagine paying $150 for a knife, two years ago I couldn't imagine spending $300-400 on a Sebenza. Today a $150 knife seems inexpensive, $300-$400 knives take up the middle ground in my array, and I have a fair number that cost well in excess of that. It's also worth noting that the majority of what I own came from the Exchange here--from users to BNIBs.

My first CRK was a small 21 with cocobolo inlays (since sold, as it was, well, too small), followed quickly by a large pre-Idaho 21 bocote (safe queen), followed just as quickly by a KnifeArt large 21 CF which became my everyday work user and didn't leave my pocket for a year. I've got 7 CRKs now and each has its own place in my collection/rotation, from safe-queen to light user to fairly hard-use work knife. Buying a user makes it easier to put the knife to work, but once you decide to put some marks on your CRK it looks all that much better for its battle scars. There's just something about how well-made those knives are that makes them feel so right in hand and good to use.

As to the issue of S35VN and its hardness, I would say that I have knives in that steel whose blades are certainly harder and more durable with better edge retention than my CRKs, but my Sebenzas and other Reeves take ferociously keen edges and their ease of sharpening makes them much appreciated and easy to touch up. I'll put my CRK users to work for sure, but will also avoid those tasks that could cause a chip or damage the blade. I usually have at least two folders on me on the job and will grab that Stanley razor knife for most tasks if it's the appropriate tool, just as a prybar is right for prying or a scraper for scraping. Every knife I have has a use and its place from a $35 RAT, Tenacious, or Buck beater through Spydies, BMs, ZTs, CRKs, Hinderers, Shiros, and several others along the way. A very few are safe-queens, most get used, though some more lightly, and they all are appreciated in their own right for how they're made and what they're good at regardless of cost.

Anyway, after a wall of text and back on topic, more gratuitous CRK pics....

4ZKwqf8.jpg

If the OP wants something else, he should get it. Many real CRK users have chimed in. The Sebenza is what it is and it isn't what it isn't.
Let's get this thread moving again?

Can we debate that a smarter choice would be to get a much better steel in a CKF and it would measure up to the workmanship/finishing on a Chris Reeves ?? I preferably like the Ratata
Let me know!

Ps..
I'll keep you guys posted as to whether I get a Reeves regardless lol.

I've only had one CKF--A Sukhoi. There was some nice milling on the Ti and CF, but I wouldn't put the overall workmanship in the same class as CRK. Of course, as others say, OP, to each his own and if you prefer CKFs to CRKs, you don't need others to talk you into something else.

As far as "better" materials go, my Shiro F3 has an S30V blade while I have several Benchmades and comparable knives with M390 blades, but the latter aren't close to being better knives than the F3.

Last edited:
Alright fair enough thanks guys. I just wish I could find a local shop that has CRKs in stock so I could do a little trial run. :/

I have CRKs I use and some just for collecting but I can say the same for a Benchmades, Spydercos, etc. Currently my small Inkosi is always me. The Sebenza 25 is often on me and well-used. Many others see occasional carry/use. They are great knives built for use.

_DSC4612%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsdnyxw7ie.jpg

I think the small Inkosi is an awesome, stout "gentleman's" knife. It rides in this little belt sheath constantly including four days a week in a suit. It kicked out my custom SAK for now.

513BB004-9801-423B-96C7-C2064BC8BE27_zpsp4kbvmwi.jpg

8043CFA9-8597-4534-A908-D799D9524CDC_zpslmm2aa6h.jpg

_DSC4690%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpscyougn6s.jpg

The only one I don't see myself ever using is the TiLock I just picked up.

_DSC4749%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsg2vsybrz.jpg

Yeah the Ti lock up is very cool looking but doesn't look practical at all the way I see it

Anybody know anyone that wants to sell a 21?? Lol. I hate waiting for something to pop up on the exchange man

Hm I don't see too many "large" ones though? Unless I just didn't look through the threads enough. It's mainly just small 21s..

Yeah, you just have to constantly watch the CRK forum and do nothing else with your life.

Do that and I guarantee you'll get one. :D

Can we debate that a smarter choice would be to get a much better steel in a CKF...
What is wrong with S35VN? CRK upped the hardness in recent years, but it is plenty tough. One of the toughest stainless offerings around. Decent wear resistance, easy to bring the edge back. What is not to like about it?

Back