Review CRK Large Sebenza 21 Glamour Knife?

What is wrong with S35VN? CRK upped the hardness in recent years, but it is plenty tough. One of the toughest stainless offerings around. Decent wear resistance, easy to bring the edge back. What is not to like about it?

If all my knives were CRKs I wouldn't need my EdgePro unless I'd done major damage to a blade. It's so easy and quick to get and maintain a great edge on the SharpMaker. Nothing cuts like CRK's S35VN.

You're really not going to get the feel for the knife in the the shop it's one of those things you have to use to appreciate.

For sure. You'll need more than a first impression to really find out if a CRK is for you. You won't have to decide--using the knife will inform you.

Yeah, you just have to constantly watch the CRK forum and do nothing else with your life.
Do that and I guarantee you'll get one. :D

All my CRKs came off the Exchange. Go back a couple times a day and you'll find what you're looking for. I would suggest picking up a user--for price, to make it easier to put it right to work, and for return on your cost if you decide to move on.

What is wrong with S35VN? CRK upped the hardness in recent years, but it is plenty tough. One of the toughest stainless offerings around. Decent wear resistance, easy to bring the edge back. What is not to like about it?
I'm not saying it's a bad steel dude, I have a ZT0450 in s35VN that I love, it's just for 400 bucks you'd think the steel you were purchasing at that price point would be maybe 110,90V? Hell even ZDP yah know?

I'm not saying it's a bad steel dude, I have a ZT0450 in s35VN that I love, it's just for 400 bucks you'd think the steel you were purchasing at that price point would be maybe 110,90V? Hell even ZDP yah know?

What you are missing is that when you buy a Chris Reeeve product you are not paying the premium price for materials. Titanium and s35 as you already know, can be found on less costly blades. What you are paying for is the precision and craftsmanship. To some this matters, to others it doesn't. Sal Glesser himself has stated that Chris Reeve charges a fair price for his products.

What you are missing is that when you buy a Chris Reeeve product you are not paying the premium price for materials. Titanium and s35 as you already know, can be found on less costly blades. What you are paying for is the precision and craftsmanship. To some this matters, to others it doesn't. Sal Glesser himself has stated that Chris Reeve charges a fair price for his products.
Yeah I realize the fit and finish is top notch but I wonder how much of that is actually true? I can't imagine their knives taking TOO much longer than another high quality production knife such as ..I don't know a good comparison but you get the point?
A honda takes like 3 weeks to assemble (for all tense and purposes) but a Bentley takes 3 months..so I understand the huge price difference there. But we are talking about a knife.

It consist of scales,a blade,pivot point (bearings or what have you), and a pocket clip? Yes some are milled out the scales are rounded to make ergomics better, I understand all the little stuff that could take time but to me it just seems a bit high?
To me a CRK is like a diamond they are only worth what they are because he only makes a certain amount of them available per year. But hey, it's just my option on the price point matter. It seems I will actually just need to buy one use it and then resell if I don't like it

Yeah I realize the fit and finish is top notch but I wonder how much of that is actually true?

^ You really need to read more, and perhaps spend some time doing your OWN research; in a nice quiet place where your retention level will be much higher. :)

I think I have to agree with Mr. Purvis...

Initially, I thought my headache and nausea which I've been experiencing, was related to the oxycontin pain medication I've been coming down from...when it's in fact, it's been this 4 page thread...all along... :confused:

^ You really need to read more, and perhaps spend some time doing your OWN research; in a nice quiet place where your retention level will be much higher. :)

I think I have to agree with Mr. Purvis...

Initially, I thought my headache and nausea which I've been experiencing, was related to the oxycontin pain medication I've been coming down from...when it's in fact, it's been this 4 page thread...all along... :confused:

What a useful post. :rolleyes:

Yeah I realize the fit and finish is top notch but I wonder how much of that is actually true? I can't imagine their knives taking TOO much longer than another high quality production knife such as ..I don't know a good comparison but you get the point?
A honda takes like 3 weeks to assemble (for all tense and purposes) but a Bentley takes 3 months..so I understand the huge price difference there. But we are talking about a knife.

It consist of scales,a blade,pivot point (bearings or what have you), and a pocket clip? Yes some are milled out the scales are rounded to make ergomics better, I understand all the little stuff that could take time but to me it just seems a bit high?
To me a CRK is like a diamond they are only worth what they are because he only makes a certain amount of them available per year. But hey, it's just my option on the price point matter. It seems I will actually just need to buy one use it and then resell if I don't like it

There is a good 2 part video on YouTube in which Chris Reeve himself gives a shop tour and talks about his manufacturing processes. It's the blade hq meet your maker series. Take a look at it if you get a chance.

Research only goes so far friends. That's why I wanted real life experiences and what not about the knife lol.

You are paying for more than ti and s 35VN. You are paying for the design & patents, the building, the machinery able of making this knife, skilled US labor and all the costs associated with that, marketing the brand and lets not forget taxes. They have built an iconic brand(through years of hard work and sacrifice) and do deserve some reward for that also- they are at the top of their field, so hopefully they are not struggling like those at the bottom. They deserve a decent living for this achievement. They are an American success story. They may have improved on this number, but I read in an old thread that 70% is hand made work. Their market is the highest end of the production market and closer to the customs then most production manufactures. They practically own the Blade shows manufacturing Quality award. And they make a great knife and have great customer service. If none of this matters(or makes sense) to you, you shouldn't buy one.
Materials are chosen for a reason, in this case ease of maintenance and desired performance

Last edited:

I think you shouldn't buy one because the price for the materials is always going to be stuck in your craw. Just continue buying ZT, Spyderco et. al. you'll be happy with the materials and the price.

Are you doubting that their F&F being amazing is false??
Looks like you're searching for reasons NOT to get one. They're tolerances and build quality are the best in the business. Spydie Sal has commented on those attributes. Can't see a reason for a competitor to lie about something like that.

Research only goes so far friends. That's why I wanted real life experiences and what not about the knife lol.

Sorry forgot to include my experience: I don't carry a Sebenza 21, I do carry and use an umnumzaan everyday. I use it for anything and everything you would use a folding knife for. It's my favorite folder and has ruined me for any other production folders. I can't carry anything else because the build quality doesn't compare. Sure there are more affordable knives that match and may even exceed it performance wise, but those knives don't have the attention to detail and design that the zaan does IMO. Those knives don't disassemble and reassemble as easily with a centered blade every time. I am a craftsman myself and therefore inclined to appreciate (and happily pay for) craftsmanship that goes above and beyond the norm. Hope my opinion helps.

Alright guys thanks once again. I guess we should stop talking about the subject now seeing as some people don't know how to "un-watch" a thread, instead they would rather complain about how many post/pages are here. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

What a joke lol. :D

Do an experiment. Get a Sebenza 21 and then any other knife you own, use them both for everything you can imagine and let them get dirty as hell. Break them down and clean them as needed over and over when required. Years down the line have a look and see which one still fits together like new, has zero play and zero wear and tear on the screw heads or other fastening anchor points. I honestly think the best thing about the Sebenza 21 is the design philosophy.

- 1 single tool to dismantle the entire knife
- zero need for adjustment or thread locker ever
- always centered no matter how many times you break it down and put it together
- no bladeplay anywhere
- deep slotted hex heads for the screws that don't strip or round out after dismantling the knife a few times

I'm not even a frame lock fan, i prefer the tri-ad, but for EDC general cutting and use, i always have the 21 in my pocket accompanied by a backup from Cold Steel or Benchmade.

You are paying for the design & patents, the building, the machinery able of making this knife, skilled US labor and all the costs associated with that, marketing the brand and lets not forget taxes.
They have built an iconic brand(through years of hard work and sacrifice) and do deserve some reward for that also- they are at the top of their field, so hopefully they are not struggling like those at the bottom. They deserve a decent living for this achievement. They are an American success story. Their market is the highest end of the production market and closer to the customs then most production manufactures. They practically own the Blade shows manufacturing Quality award. And they make a great knife and have great customer service.

^ Great post, Peter. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

American made, American quality, American excellence. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back