CRKT/Knifecenter Hootenanny: Not actually S30V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because I don't use my folders for food prep. I decided to try this out.

I mean a cut a ton of stuff that would stain the hell out of non-stainless in minutes, but here we go...

Pure lemon.

1476746407.6563.jpg

Okay, so I gave this test a try again. After using some Simichrome, this is what the blade looked like before I cut the new apple:

20161017_185346_zpsqz6laasw.jpg

Here is it mid-cut, with the apple culprit pictured:

20161017_185640_zpshqqpuhpg.jpg

And here is waiting about 7 minutes, without wiping the blade off (still apple juice on it):

20161017_185920_zps9p0cptgn.jpg

And here is the blade after wiping it down:

20161017_190147_zpsmmfla3aq.jpg

20161017_190150_zps77oei72y.jpg

And here is a video that hopefully shows it a little better, including the brown (oxidized) juice from the apple (it will be in 1080p once it's processed fully by YouTube):

[video=youtube;BU99x8dBGKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU99x8dBGKo[/video]

As I say in the video, it is behaving exactly like a carbon steel knife, and is actually making the apple taste like it was cut with a carbon steel knife. This is really bizarre.
Wow, thats definitely not right. I would be contacting KC and CRKT, I'm sure CRKT will want to get that knife back and figure out whats going on.

OP - Your last few pics react exactly how my satin 1095 knives react.

I hope crkt will let the public know what the hecks going on.

It'd be really interesting to send it out to someone to test exactly what steel it is.

So the difference between S30V and S35Vn is the "N" and that has zero to do with "stain resistance"

After about 10 minutes of sitting on the blade, I just wiped it with a paper towel (zero water or soap)

Nothing to see....my blade smells nice and lemony though!

Did you try this?

1476747407.5371.jpg

So the difference between S30V and S35Vn is the "N" and that has zero to do with "stain resistance"

After about 10 minutes of sitting on the blade, I just wiped it with a paper towel (zero water or soap)

Did you try this?

1476747407.5371.jpg

maybe OP got a faulty apple :D

Okay, so I gave this test a try again. After using some Simichrome, this is what the blade looked like before I cut the new apple:

20161017_185346_zpsqz6laasw.jpg

Here is it mid-cut, with the apple culprit pictured:

20161017_185640_zpshqqpuhpg.jpg

And here is waiting about 7 minutes, without wiping the blade off (still apple juice on it):

20161017_185920_zps9p0cptgn.jpg

And here is the blade after wiping it down:

20161017_190147_zpsmmfla3aq.jpg

20161017_190150_zps77oei72y.jpg

And here is a video that hopefully shows it a little better, including the brown (oxidized) juice from the apple (it will be in 1080p once it's processed fully by YouTube):

[video=youtube;BU99x8dBGKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU99x8dBGKo[/video]

As I say in the video, it is behaving exactly like a carbon steel knife, and is actually making the apple taste like it was cut with a carbon steel knife. This is really bizarre.

Sorry I am late on this....

That's not right.

That's how HC steel reacts to acidity.

They'll figure it out and get you fixed up, let us know (if they ever tell you) what the steel is on that knife!

Did you try this?

1476747407.5371.jpg

I'm about to head to the grocery store so I can get a lemon and try that too. I don't doubt that if I wiped it off with soapy water immediately it wouldn't stain. But wiping it off after about 7-10 minutes of exposure did nothing to prevent staining as it had already set in.

Now I might be getting paranoid, but it even smells like carbon steel... :D:p

I'm about to head to the grocery store so I can get a lemon and try that too. I don't doubt that if I wiped it off with soapy water immediately it wouldn't stain. But wiping it off after about 7-10 minutes of exposure did nothing to prevent staining as it had already set in.

Man, this isn't a bad thing necessarily, you have a one-off something steel...
I would dump that on the exchange for $2K with a link to this thread. Some strange collectors out there!

In all seriousness, CRKT will take care of you.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jchem/2013/587514/

Repeating the quenching up to three times led to yielding new grains at the expense of others, and a coarse grained material (as rolled) is replaced by the fine grained recrystallized structure. Corrosion rate () increases for repeated quenched samples implies that corrosion rate increases as grain refinement increases. The repeated quenching refines the grains, which renders greater anodic areas than coarser grained structure and thus activates the corrosion of steel. Corrosion potential () moves to more cathodic region indicates that the corrosion process is mainly accelerated by the cathodic reactions. The corrosion resistance, calculated from EIS results, shows the same trend as those obtained from polarization measurements. Results obtained from weight loss, dc polarization, and ac impedance techniques are in reasonably good agreement.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/maco.19940450905/abstract

The changes in microstructure, caused by different heat treatments, have considerable influence on the corrosion resistance of stainless steels. The heat treatment causes an alteration of carbide contained in steels. Changes in the constant B for these steels, (B = Rp · iCOR) have been observed in quenched, tempered and annealed conditions. Pitting corrosion resistance of martensitic stainless steels in quenched and tempered conditions in 0.1M H2SO4 by adding Cl− ions has been investigated.

I've used S30V from multiple companies and none of the blades ever stained from fruit or anything else. That's not S30V. Try cutting a lime or lemon.

Smell and taste are a clear sign beyond the actual staining. Very curious to hear what went on with this knife. I think we all know what the fear is.

I was under the impression that s30v was exclusive to Crucible. Is that not correct?

I've contacted Knifecenter, I'm more than sure they will exchange it and send it back to CRKT. I've already heard from another knife collector who has one that he does not have this issue so this seems more like a problem with my specific knife. I am super curious to find out what exactly happened here though.

I would suspect the country of origin would count for the other parts as well as finishing location. US made sheets of S30V sent abroad would still result in the "Made in China" badge.

I've contacted Knifecenter, I'm more than sure they will exchange it and send it back to CRKT. I've already heard from another knife collector who has one that he does not have this issue so this seems more like a problem with my specific knife. I am super curious to find out what exactly happened here though.

I hope you find out something though I have my doubts. CRKT doesn't make anything. They won't know what happened either until they here from China and I don't know what the chances of that are. Wrong blade going to the right knife? Bad batch of S30v? If that is the case we should see more of this. This is a bit of a mystery. Thanks for posting it!

Oh, have you used the knife much? Does it perform like S30v?

I hope you find out something though I have my doubts. CRKT doesn't make anything. They won't know what happened either until they here from China and I don't know what the chances of that are. Wrong blade going to the right knife? Bad batch of S30v? If that is the case we should see more of this. This is a bit of a mystery. Thanks for posting it!

Oh, have you used the knife much? Does it perform like S30v?

Unfortunately I have not, I received it on Friday along with two other knives so it has basically just been flipped and cut a few apples. At this point, I probably won't touch it until I hear back from Knifecenter.

Unfortunately I have not, I received it on Friday along with two other knives so it has basically just been flipped and cut a few apples. At this point, I probably won't touch it until I hear back from Knifecenter.

I wouldn't either given this issue. Just curious if you had happened to yet. A blade that stains like a high carbon I think a difference could be noticed. Let us know what they say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back