CS 4-Max vs ER RAO

Great videos regardless if they are 100% scientific or not. They are entertaining and informative. There is no question that they make a hell of a strong folder and most of them are a bargain at the price they charge. I have sold or traded away all but one of my CS knives so I am definitely no fan boy, but I do recognize a quality product when I see it. Some of the non-knife related aspects of the company are sometimes a bit questionable but I personally can live with it.

Still dont know.

That's not my oppinion, that's the general view of most people. CRK has a so-so reputation and Extrema Ratio a pretty high one, regardless of that reflecting reality or not.

Pretty sure you are the ONLY person who holds that view.

How many times has Extrema Ratio won the Blade Award for Manufacturing Quality?

Pretty sure you are the ONLY person who holds that view.

How many times has Extrema Ratio won the Blade Award for Manufacturing Quality?

Most people dont even know about Blade Award.

Check out the comments on Extrema Ratios and the comments about Chris Reeves, especially after Noss's AllOutdoor test of the Green Beret and also fueled by the recent Cold Steel video.

Most people dont even know about Blade Award.

Check out the comments on Extrema Ratios and the comments about Chris Reeves, especially after Noss's AllOutdoor test of the Green Beret and also fueled by the recent Cold Steel video.

I wouldn't be shocked if more people attend the actual Blade show in a given year than buy Extrema Ratios in a given year...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahgahagaggagaggagaggagagaggagaggaggaggahhahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahhaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhahahahhahahahahhahahhahah

Seems like a mature response....

Seems like a mature response....

Tell me what about that ridiculous troll post warranted any modicum of maturity?

You can walk into almost any high end gun shop in the country and chances are they will regularly sell Chris Reeve knives and have never heard of Extrema Ratio.

I am a fan of Cold Steel knives, there is no doubt or dispute, in my mind, that they can and do put out a fine product and I really enjoy their defiant, aggressive and even extremely violent looking models. However, I abhor their marketing. I admit that, it's very possible, I am not their target customer but in my opinion, they need to demonstrate some class.

In the Case of the Cold Steel Code 4 vs Sebenza 21, it was like pitting a Hummer against a Range Rover in a retarded (pun intended) freefall drop test. The conditions tested were such that 99.999% of users will never replicate the result in actual use.

In the case of the Cold Steel AK-47 vs ZT301, they actually presented a compelling demonstration of the reliability of the steel triad lock over a titanium frame lock, which I feel was just beating a dead horse. We all know how strong the triad lock is by now.

I've never heard of ER Rao before these videos, so Cold Steel is actually just providing free advertising for a less well-known competitor. Thanks CS, for introducing me to a new brand that rattles your saber. (another intended pun)

Last edited:
I am a fan of Cold Steel knives, there is no doubt or dispute, in my mind, that they can and do put out a fine product and I really enjoy their defiant, aggressive and even extremely violent looking models. However, I abhor their marketing. I admit that, it's very possible, I am not their target customer but in my opinion, they need to demonstrate some class.

In the Case of the Cold Steel Code 4 vs Sebenza 21, it was like pitting a Hummer against a Range Rover in a retarded (pun intended) freefall drop test. The conditions tested were such that 99.999% of users will never replicate the result in actual use.

In the case of the Cold Steel AK-47 vs ZT301, they actually presented a compelling demonstration of the reliability of the steel triad lock over a titanium frame lock, which I feel was just beating a dead horse. We all know how strong the triad lock is by now.

I've never heard of ER Rao before these videos, so Cold Steel is actually just providing free advertising for a less well-known competitor. Thanks CS, for introducing me to a new brand that rattles your saber. (another intended pun)

The problem is, after all this, we DON'T know how strong the Triad is. I just know it's stronger. This series drives me a bit crazy, because I AM a fan of CS, but the only solid information I've gotten is on their competitors.

When a person tells me a Sebenza is overpriced I'm relieved as it means I don't have to continue the discussion. Time is precious and ignorance is bliss.

I think this video was particularly entertaining... "just move the dolly" Actually the presentation here is extremely valuable, at first I didn't believe the 4Max was anything more than a "flagship" knife using nice materials. 3,000 inch pounds of torque is insane. Spyderco usually talks about pins shearing at around 1,000 in/lbs, but of course in that case it's an intended failure point, if the pivot shears you have a fairly unspectacular failure, the blade+pin usually get lodged in the handle, where a snapping blade leads to pieces flying, but with the 4Max it's such a high load I can't think of anything I could do with the knife that would make the blade snap to begin with. The best part is you can bet that knives like the Aluminum Espada will perfrom about the same as the RAO here, which is still far more overbuilt than I could ask for. Now we need a Ti Espada to equal the performance of the 4Max with a larger blade.

When a person tells me a Sebenza is overpriced I'm relieved as it means I don't have to continue the discussion. Time is precious and ignorance is bliss.

Reminder to all

Thread isn't about Sebenza.

I really can't watch a full video of the testing. Find it boring and pointless for how I use my knives. CS has there place in the knife community. I like variety in my knives. Which is better vanilla or chocolate ice cream???

Where's the BF member who wanted this test so bad he was practically calling Demko out? Well here's your test bud, what do you have to say?

I like these tests somewhat, the engineering aspect is entertaining. I like demkos work. But I never have put force like that on a lock, what I would like to see is them do a side load test. Most knives that lost the lock test such as the zt's would hold up way better than most of the cold steels in some type of prying test. If some one is abusing their knife, it's more likely prying than putting all their weight on a lock!

I like these tests somewhat, the engineering aspect is entertaining. I like demkos work. But I never have put force like that on a lock, what I would like to see is them do a side load test. Most knives that lost the lock test such as the zt's would hold up way better than most of the cold steels in some type of prying test. If some one is abusing their knife, it's more likely prying than putting all their weight on a lock!

Good point, bit it is a test for lock strength and prying is a test for frame/pivot/blade strength. I have seen a vid of a Recon 1 pryed to failure and the blade broke, but the pivot/lock worked fine.

+1

What is the point of having a lock that withstand 800lb vertical load but easily snap in half when prying...

+1

What is the point of having a lock that withstand 800lb vertical load but easily snap in half when prying...
Far better than snapping in half while prying and only withstanding 50lb vertical load.

Best would be of course if every spec is best but with only this one kind of test we will never know.

I don't watch the vids but I'm sure you can find one of them being pried with. They whack the hell out of them every which way.

Back