CS 4-Max vs ER RAO

These tests are designed specifically to feature the strengths of the Triad lock against other lock types. The Triad lock is probably the strongest, most reliable lock on the market when it comes to abuse, and that is all these tests showcase.

They do not offer any data or even idea of how these knives would perform in any other respect.

The Triad lock truly is a marvel. Unfortunately, with the exception of the 4Max, which looks genuinely well made and attractive, Cold Steels folding knife line up is not very attractive, to me. Additionally, while the Triad lock is fascinating, I simply do not need that kind of lock strength, and I certainly do not feel the trade off for the slow, cumbersome nature of the lock is worth it.

My biggest question is who actually makes the 4Max? Most of CS's production is sourced out to Taiwan. they do not have their own factories like Spyderco, Kershaw, and BM. That means one of the big US knife brands is likely making the knife for them. My guess is Kershaw.

+1

What is the point of having a lock that withstand 800lb vertical load but easily snap in half when prying...

Well, check out this video of the American Lawman hard use test. You can see Demko standing on the lawman in between 2 bricks showing the lateral strength. Also shows that you dont need steel/Ti liners for lateral strength.

[video]https://youtu.be/jNV6gNrObu4?t=4m29s[/video]

These tests are designed specifically to feature the strengths of the Triad lock against other lock types. The Triad lock is probably the strongest, most reliable lock on the market when it comes to abuse, and that is all these tests showcase.

They do not offer any data or even idea of how these knives would perform in any other respect.

The Triad lock truly is a marvel. Unfortunately, with the exception of the 4Max, which looks genuinely well made and attractive, Cold Steels folding knife line up is not very attractive, to me. Additionally, while the Triad lock is fascinating, I simply do not need that kind of lock strength, and I certainly do not feel the trade off for the slow, cumbersome nature of the lock is worth it.

My biggest question is who actually makes the 4Max? Most of CS's production is sourced out to Taiwan. they do not have their own factories like Spyderco, Kershaw, and BM. That means one of the big US knife brands is likely making the knife for them. My guess is Kershaw.

I hadn't considered that last point you bring up. I'd be curious, too, if anyone in the know could chime in.

A large part of the appeal of these tests, in my mind, is that they exhibit the Triad lock's high level of durability, and likely longevity.

When a person tells me a Sebenza is overpriced I'm relieved as it means I don't have to continue the discussion. Time is precious and ignorance is bliss.
Why take the time to post in this thread? I mean hey it's not really a discussion for the aristocrats.

A large part of the appeal of these tests, in my mind, is that they exhibit the Triad lock's high level of durability, and likely longevity.
Agreed. The Tri-Ad Lock shows more ability to compensate for wear than any other lock on the market. Besides the ability to resist high loads and stay locked under repeated shock, it can do so without developing play, which makes it that much more impressive. Not that it won't break or run out of room for wear eventually, but it's probably going to last an order of magnitude longer than the next best design.

Agreed. The Tri-Ad Lock shows more ability to compensate for wear than any other lock on the market. Besides the ability to resist high loads and stay locked under repeated shock, it can do so without developing play, which makes it that much more impressive. Not that it won't break or run out of room for wear eventually, but it's probably going to last an order of magnitude longer than the next best design.

Indeed. the lock is amazing and will likely last many lifetimes. I will own a 4Max if they ever become available.

They announced the first batch of the 4-MAX as being available.

As far as who is making them is concerned. I am guessing that they set-up their own machine shop near New Castle, PA.

That is where Andew Demko lives. I don't know for sure; this is speculation on my part.

Back