Cult of the peanut , members

So I ran across this Appaloosa red bone Peanut for sale and it kinda spoke to me. The blades were pretty rusty and the main blade tip was bent, but was told it had good action with no wobble so I went for it. Figured I would clean it up, try to straighten the blade, sharpen it up and sell it off. But, of course when I tried to straighten the tip I snapped the dang thing off. Oops. Now I gotta get creative. So I decided to try and go with a wharncliffe shape. Some time on the stones and a tiny bit of dremeling and it's starting to look ok. Not sure if at the end of the project I will have bonded with him or or still sell him off but just thought I'd share.
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

So I ran across this Appaloosa red bone Peanut for sale and it kinda spoke to me. The blades were pretty rusty and the main blade tip was bent, but was told it had good action with no wobble so I went for it. Figured I would clean it up, try to straighten the blade, sharpen it up and sell it off. But, of course when I tried to straighten the tip I snapped the dang thing off. Oops. Now I gotta get creative. So I decided to try and go with a wharncliffe shape. Some time on the stones and a tiny bit of dremeling and it's starting to look ok. Not sure if at the end of the project I will have bonded with him or or still sell him off but just thought I'd share.

Wow, that looks great!

You did a fantastic job of blending in the new blade, so that it just looks like it continues the curve of the peanut. The shape of the whole thing really works aesthetically. A very curvaceous peanut. I rate that as a five thumb up legume!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

TX Traditional, I may be wrong but I believe your "yella-handled" knife with the federal shield was an SFO for xxcutlery.com. They have several yellow handled models with the federal shields.

High praise sir! Still needs a bunch of work but it's getting there.
QUOTE="jackknife, post: 19491186, member: 135745"]Wow, that looks great!

You did a fantastic job of blending in the new blade, so that it just looks like it continues the curve of the peanut. The shape of the whole thing really works aesthetically. A very curvaceous peanut. I rate that as a five thumb up legume!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

I picked this one up because I had never seen another one like it. It was made in 2009, so not very old. Has black G-10 handles and "as ground" blades. The light was just right for these pics. In most light the pattern is visible, but he handles appear to be more uniform black. The main blade came very sharp.
Peanut G10-1.JPG Peanut G10-3.JPG

How do I post a question? Is there a tutorial for posting pictures? Randy
If it's a Peanut related question this is a good place for it. If it's a Traditional Knife question you can start a thread by selecting the BLUE "Post New Thread" button on the upper right side of your computer screen.

Many members use imgur to post pictures. Here's a good resource for that;
How to: post pictures using Imgur (comprehensive)

Take the time to familiarize yourself with the forum guidelines, Guidelines For The "Traditional Folders & Fixed Blades" Sub-Forum, and you'll be good to go.

Got this in from a GAW, one of the two I picked, a Case Peanut in CV, it was missing the shield so I carved/whittle a small section of walnut and glued it in place,

before a void, I took a small Dremel round end cutter and went around the bottom edge so that when I glued it in, the glue would fill to the sides as well, giving a better anchor for the glue to stay in place.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

the close up looks rougher than it does in real life, if I had some lighter wood I would have used that, or some piece of ivory but, nothing at hand.

G2

ps here is a link to the new Give Away that I just started

Got this in from a GAW, one of the two I picked, a Case Peanut in CV, it was missing the shield so I carved/whittle a small section of walnut and glued it in place,

before a void, I took a small Dremel round end cutter and went around the bottom edge so that when I glued it in, the glue would fill to the sides as well, giving a better anchor for the glue to stay in place.

the close up looks rougher than it does in real life, if I had some lighter wood I would have used that, or some piece of ivory but, nothing at hand.

G2

ps here is a link to the new Give Away that I just started

Reminds me of a tic-tac shaped pinto bean. I think it looks cool. :thumbsup:

Back