1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

Cult of the peanut , members

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jacktrades_nbk, Mar 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Shooter xix

Shooter xix

Jul 30, 2018
    [​IMG]

jwh720, HST, peanutsxx and 16 others like this.
  2. Shooter xix

Shooter xix

Jul 30, 2018
    Recently gave 1 away and have another in a case ill share one of these days

3. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Beautiful early peanut mike reminds me of the early case tested clip points

4. Gurdygurds

Gurdygurds Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2013
    So I ran across this Appaloosa red bone Peanut for sale and it kinda spoke to me. The blades were pretty rusty and the main blade tip was bent, but was told it had good action with no wobble so I went for it. Figured I would clean it up, try to straighten the blade, sharpen it up and sell it off. But, of course when I tried to straighten the tip I snapped the dang thing off. Oops. Now I gotta get creative. So I decided to try and go with a wharncliffe shape. Some time on the stones and a tiny bit of dremeling and it's starting to look ok. Not sure if at the end of the project I will have bonded with him or or still sell him off but just thought I'd share.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

HST, 3-1-1, mike Berkovitch and 13 others like this.
  5. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    @Gurdygurds that is one sweet mod you did to rescue that Peanut, I always wished for a nut with a Wharncliffe blade.

jmh33 likes this.
  6. Gurdygurds

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks man. They do make wharncliffe nuts. I googled it to find an image to give me something to go off of for the blade shape.

7. TX Traditional

TX Traditional Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2019
    I’m a sucker for yella-handled Case knives so when I saw this little guy with a federal shield, I had to pick it up. I’d never seen one like this before. Other than needing some sharpening I’m really pleased with it. Excellent quality on this one.

710F60FD-521D-43BB-A89C-A9A95F9051F2.jpeg

Jonny D, HST, peanutsxx and 15 others like this.
  8. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Wow, that looks great!

You did a fantastic job of blending in the new blade, so that it just looks like it continues the curve of the peanut. The shape of the whole thing really works aesthetically. A very curvaceous peanut. I rate that as a five thumb up legume!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. MadTrapper

MadTrapper

Dec 30, 2005
    TX Traditional, I may be wrong but I believe your "yella-handled" knife with the federal shield was an SFO for xxcutlery.com. They have several yellow handled models with the federal shields.

TX Traditional likes this.
  10. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Great looking Peanut. :cool::thumbsup:

TX Traditional likes this.
  11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    My current batch of Peanuts...
    [​IMG]

Jonny D, HST, TheChunk91 and 14 others like this.
  12. Shooter xix

Shooter xix

Jul 30, 2018
    Peanut like?
    [​IMG]

13. Gurdygurds

Aug 10, 2013
    High praise sir! Still needs a bunch of work but it's getting there.
    QUOTE="jackknife, post: 19491186, member: 135745"]Wow, that looks great!

You did a fantastic job of blending in the new blade, so that it just looks like it continues the curve of the peanut. The shape of the whole thing really works aesthetically. A very curvaceous peanut. I rate that as a five thumb up legume!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

mike Berkovitch, HST, jmh33 and 5 others like this.
  14. mike Berkovitch

mike Berkovitch Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Thank you, it is indeed interesting design. Here is another older member to the family, John Primble Belknap. See details on the main blade, the small sedge and the long pull.
    IMG_3816.JPG

Mike

HST, mbkr, jmh33 and 5 others like this.
  15. copter_dad

copter_dad

Nov 1, 2019
    How do I post a question? Is there a tutorial for posting pictures? Randy

16. 3-1-1

3-1-1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Who does? Thats one I've not seen.

17. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I picked this one up because I had never seen another one like it. It was made in 2009, so not very old. Has black G-10 handles and "as ground" blades. The light was just right for these pics. In most light the pattern is visible, but he handles appear to be more uniform black. The main blade came very sharp.
    Peanut G10-1.JPG Peanut G10-3.JPG

WolfyW, Jonny D, Ace Rimmer and 10 others like this.
  18. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    If it's a Peanut related question this is a good place for it. If it's a Traditional Knife question you can start a thread by selecting the BLUE "Post New Thread" button on the upper right side of your computer screen.

Many members use imgur to post pictures. Here's a good resource for that;
    How to: post pictures using Imgur (comprehensive)

Take the time to familiarize yourself with the forum guidelines, Guidelines For The "Traditional Folders & Fixed Blades" Sub-Forum, and you'll be good to go.

JohnDF likes this.
  19. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Got this in from a GAW, one of the two I picked, a Case Peanut in CV, it was missing the shield so I carved/whittle a small section of walnut and glued it in place,

before a void, I took a small Dremel round end cutter and went around the bottom edge so that when I glued it in, the glue would fill to the sides as well, giving a better anchor for the glue to stay in place.

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

the close up looks rougher than it does in real life, if I had some lighter wood I would have used that, or some piece of ivory but, nothing at hand.

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

ps here is a link to the new Give Away that I just started

20. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Reminds me of a tic-tac shaped pinto bean. I think it looks cool. :thumbsup:

Gary W. Graley likes this.