Custom made folder with a 0.5" thick blade.

I'd been looking for someone to make me a folder with a 0.5" thick knife for awhile, and I came across some Anthony Griffin folders on Knifecenter or some sort of knifesite. They had a pretty thick blade, so I looked for his site, found his e-mail, and asked him to make me a folder with some specific design elements; 0.5" thick blade, 5"+ long blade, tanto with a harpoon edge/point. After some talking, we agreed on a 7" long blade. He drew up this design;

image (1).jpg

He also kept me in the loop of any progress and updates, along with some pictures (These are only some of the pictures.) :

image (5).jpg
image (9).jpg
image (12).jpg
image (15).jpg

NP4emRP.jpg

QNf0Ets.jpg

R4sAq2T.jpg

BRnZ3UL.jpg

XrIqKGT.jpg

rgwQHUy.jpg

DuRM86f.jpg

NvyYl3i.jpg

Hw6JM1V.jpg

ijnZyJb.jpg

a4QXO7X.jpg

The frames are made of titanium, and the blade is A2. It weighs about 3.5 lbs. I also received 2 bits and a driver (Or a longer bit, whatever it's called.) for the custom screws.

I realize that this isn't an "efficient cutter", but this is what I wanted, and Anthony Griffin made it happen. This is my first custom knife, and my first custom knife experience I've been involved in. Anthony Griffin was more than helpful, patient and overall seems like a very nice guy!

Did you have it made just as a novelty? Or just because you could? Or will you actually carry and use it?

I'm not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely interested in your response. My mind can't fathom the need for something like that, let alone having someone make one.........but your mind can evidently and I respect your right to do so.

I am glad you mentioned the slicing efficiency though. Because really, with a blade that thick and the grind only going half way up, there are probably splitting mauls with better slicing geometry than that thing. :D :p

Okay, I was sort of being a smart ass on that last comment, but seriously meant no offense. :)

Last edited:
Did you have it made just as a novelty? Or just because you could? Or will you actually carry and use it?

I'm not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely interested in your response. My mind can't fathom the need for something like that, let alone having someone make one.........but your mind can evidently and I respect your right to do so.

I am glad you mentioned the slicing efficiency though. Because really, with a blade that thick and the grind only going half way up, there are probably splitting mauls with better slicing geometry than that thing. :D :p

Okay, I was sort of being a smart ass on that last comment, but seriously meant no offense. :)

I collect knives, I don't use them. In any case, a Mora knife is probably good enough for 95% of cutting tasks, and a machete and/or an axe for the remainder, anything beyond that is preference.

I collect knives, I don't use them.

Good for you! It takes a brave person to be willing to admit to being a non-user around these parts. I too am primarily a collector although I have taken to collecting knives I'm actually willing to stick in my pocket. But I work in an office and for the most part, I get by just fine with a pair of ordinary office shears and a Leatherman Micra.

If I were looking to collect a conversation piece, I'd be hard pressed to find a better one than the one you had made for you.

Well done!!! :thumbup: :D

Can you flick it open ?
The thumb stud opening method doesn't look like it's feasible to use by anyone but King Kong. :D
Very unique folder, though.

Doug

An exercise in futility, but as the man said:

My mind can't fathom the need for something like that, let alone having someone make one.........but your mind can evidently and I respect your right to do so.

Your money, your knife.

I collect knives, I don't use them.
I find that ...sad.., but as above; its your money and your hobby. People are different.

This is the coolest thing, that I've ever seen! The pocket clip made me laugh.

that thing is ridonculous!
thanks for the show, never seen anything quite like it.

No more ridonculous than this: (Borrowed pic.)

62672-1.jpg

And believe it or not, I actually know someone who EDCs an Espada XL! :eek:

But, does it pass the spine-whack test? Inquiring minds need to know...

I'd be more interested in an over strike test.

I am all for building something entirely impractical on occasion. Thanks for sharing!

A question: Why 0.5 inch thickness? 0.666 would have been more beastly;)

Reason I wanted 0.5" is because I figured that's the optimal, maxish thickness where it'd still look like a knife, not a knife like object. For example, a 5" thick, 50" long folding knife wouldn't really look like a folder, or even a knife, even if it had an edge and a grind, and it wouldn't be usable whatsoever, and it'd be hard to think of it as a folder in the normal sense. While this may be impractical, it's still usable, and can easily be thought of as a huge folder, not a folder like object.

There is a cutoff point where it stops making sense. The bigger it is, the harder it is to get the scale right, and it just starts looking off. I think Anthony did an amazing job at making it look like a huge folder, as opposed to a knife that happens to fold, or a blade attached to a rotating handle, etc.

And I don't do spine-whack tests, or over strike tests.. That might scratch up the finish!

When I do need to cut something, like a package or whatever, I use a carpet/tape cutter with replaceable blades, anyways.

And it opens pretty easily, but I have to pull the blade. The blade is pretty heavy.

Last edited:
I think this is awesome no matter what your intended use may be. There's no other like it, and you got exactly what you want. Cool project sir.

be cool to see a little youtube of that beast

Damn that's a monster!

I got a good chuckle out of the picture with the ZT 566 nestled between the liners. A Skyline would get lost in there.

Thanks for sharing.

It's definately fun to look at.
Anthony did a fine job making Your idea a reality.
Thanks for sharing Your photos.

Damn that's a monster!

I got a good chuckle out of the picture with the ZT 566 nestled between the liners. A Skyline would get lost in there.

Thanks for sharing.

My reaction too. I do like it for the same reason or curiosity that draws me to miniature knives. Like the novelty 12" wooden pencil my daughter likes. Just interesting in it's own right.

Back