Custom Tactical Folders?

HI Don,

With regards to custom knives the word "Tactical" didn't exist until about 1995. Given they did not look like most of the folders out there (if not all). They were utilizing titanium and liner locks and led the way in the utilization of new steels for blades (and still do). Seventeen years pass, hundreds of thousands of custom tactical folders, Millions of Factory tactical folders, a magazine called Tactical Knives. The word Tactical has become diluted as this thread has shown.

I agree with you that the word is mostly overused these days. The reason....marketability. People want to call their knives "tactical" when clearly they are not. This is done out of two reasons, one they maker/seller wants to capitalize on perhaps the largest single custom folder market in the world. Two, they don't understand what it is they are making...as such call it "tactical"!

Cr could have easily called his second knife with stabilized wood a "utility" folder.

The issue there...Blade just did an article on "utility" knives....there was a little bit of everything in there. Truly an open to all category. However a category that carries no cache with the buyers. A catch all category if you will. Subsequently makers do not want to refer to their knives.

As we move forward there will be makers/dealers/sellers who continue to use the word incorrectly when describing a knife.

An interesting sub-set of tactical were the Japanese Tacticals made popular by Phil Hartsfield, RJ Martin and James Piorek. They had a very distinctive look. Generally chisel ground blades, A-2 was the steel of choice for a long time, either an all cord wrapped handle or Same (ray skin) and cord wrapped handle. RJ's knives evolved into double ground blades, different stainless steels and incorporated menuki's. Piorek evolved into a maker as sought after for his sheaths and carry systems as his knives...until his pants caught on fire (thanks to Phil Hartsfield and Fighting Knives magazine). Even with what business people would call "line extension".

Nobody took an exceptional Presentation or Art Tanto by Don Polzien or Scott Slobodian and tried to call it a Japanese Tactical.

HI Alpha,

Im well and hope you are as well.

My problem....and it is a good problem to have. Over the last year 92% of the knives I have on order are pre-sold before they ever get to the website. Which is great for the bank account but bad for the website. LOL

Right now I have 17 knives in inventory. I was down to 8 at the end of last year. It is nice when you "guess" right.

So the emails have been fewer and far between than they were 18 months ago. I will have an email go out prior to Blade. Im waiting to confirm what I know I will take delivery of at Blade. After that I will send out the email.

Thanks for asking.

From top to bottom-
Sniper Bladeworks-DH Damascus
Direware-Solo V2 with Krein re-grind
Mikkel Willumsen Urban Tactical-Munin

SBWDHD00.jpg

SBWDHD.jpg

DirewareSoloV2Krein02.jpg

DirewareSoloV2Krein06.jpg

MWUT-MUNIN.jpg

MWUT-MUNIN02.jpg

Blade Show 2012 Seminars:

What To Look For In A Tactical Folder—Les Robertson,

Saturday June 9th; 12:00 p.m. Room 104

Hope to see you there.

Here's a few of my favorite small tactical folders, my Rick Hinderer 3" Spearpoint XM-18, my Shane Sibert MPR and my Tom Mayo Medium Covert:
front-open.png
front-open.png

front-open.png

and I hope Rob Orlando doesn't mind me posting his pic of the first XM-18 in damascus:
orig.jpg

Mikkel just sent me a MMS with a pic of my new folder, will upload more pictures when I get it myself!
carbondamascusfolder.jpg

Mikkel Willumsen custom made folder after my wishes, carbon, titanium and Chad Nichols damascus, can't wait to get my hands on it!

Is that mikkel a full custom or does he make that model.. it looks niiiiice :)

Here's my meager contribution.

Left to right:

DDR Trigger Maze - Ray Laconico Framelock - DDR Mad Maxx 3 - Reese Weiland Sabre Claw - Yuna Hard 2

Dawkind's collection is mind blowing!:thumbup::eek:

Is that mikkel a full custom or does he make that model.. it looks niiiiice :)

It's in theory a full custom, but I gave him a lot of leave room so he could do what he found most suiting, I felt like he knew more about it than me ;) But materials are custom selected

Back